+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 141 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

I was thinking about what the men said to each other right before Don went into the Honda meeting. Don told the guy that they didn't do a commercial because it was too expensive and the guy said that Don's presentation would look bad against his slide show (I think), hence the screen for the slides. this would mean that the other company didn't waste money on a commercial like Don had wanted. I'm still not sure what happened. I just think that this is what they said. I'll watch it again.
    I go through Mad Men withdrawal for a few weeks once it ends. After that I look forward to Dexter then Big Love! I have to say that I'm really looking forward to the new HBO series Boardwalk Empire. I love Steve Buscemi and the costuming and sets look FAB! I tried getting into Rubicon but it just ain't happenin' for me!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I'm an avid watcher too!

I usually have to watch the show 3 or 4 times to feel like I've seen it all - and by then, it's time for the next episode.

I do have to say that when Grandpa Gene was staying at Don and Betty's house, I had my doubts about him. When he called Sally into the bedroom and she hesitated - I thought, uh oh.....then he asked her to read. Of course that caused me to second guess myself. So....maybe, maybe not.

Regarding Betty: Ugh, she could have been my mother. Dead on. Slaps and all. How many times I heard "What others think of us is much more important than what we really are." Betty has shown she will never be happy, regardless of her situation or surroundings.

I, too, love Don's new secretary. I think Joan made an awesome decision putting Mrs. Blankenship in the spot....that should keep Don's hands to himself. (I also have some close relatives named Blankenship....I hope they are amused by this!)

I'm also curious to see what happens between Don and the doctor. She's probably the challenge he needs. Hopefully it goes further, I'd like to see what happens between them.

I like what they are doing with Peggy this season, too. She is splitting off from the older generation - going a different direction...I'm anxious to see how that works out for her. It's interesting to me how Peggy and Pete are essentially the same age, yet caught in the divide. I noticed Pete changed from wearing blue suits to black suits.

I love the show - I watch every episode several times and always enjoy them.

I have to say, one of my favorite moments of the entire series, at least visually, was Peggy riding that motorcycle in circles around the empty set. Just perfection.

ETA: You know, for all her criticisms of Don and how he's an absent father, Betty's no better: she had the housekeeper take Sally to her first appointment with her therapist. Yeah, Betty's Mother of the Year material.
    Last edited by Critical; 08-23-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think I should stop reading these posts and rewatch the show! I got a phone call at about halfway through this episode so missed a great deal of it. I am like many of you and can watch each episode a few times and get more out of it each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4046985;
    I have to say, one of my favorite moments of the entire series, at least visually, was Peggy riding that motorcycle in circles around the empty set. Just perfection.

You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4046992;

NICE!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Perhaps I am a bit swayed by Kiernan Shipka and Ryan Cutrona's commentary (I believe it was on "The Arrangements") on the Season 3 DVDs, but I do not think there is a Grandpa Gene sexual abuse situation going on with either Betty or Sally. Sally is on track for her age in psycho-sexual development, Betty's abuse came clearly from her mother (as has been hammered over our heads for ages--"Shut your mouth or you'll catch flies." from "The Fog"), and Gene was very pro-girl-power (excuse the Spice Girls reference) in telling Sally she could do anything she wanted--a message he gave her mother but she ignored. Gene was a weird dude, affected by transient ischemic attacks, but inasmuch as he didn't stab Bobby but gave him the helmet from WWI, I think he was on the up & up with his both grandkids.

I think this episode was very telling of things to come. Betty was "understood" by a child shrink. Don couldn't get his call to California through. (RIP Anna?) Henry seeing Betty as an irrational parent. Pete dressing down Roger, with good reason. Don getting his mojo back with the slight against the other agency and ultimately coming out okay with the Honda people. Joan always knowing what to say to Roger. I wish my DVR wasn't crapped out so I could watch it (and True Blood) right now.

And the Peggy .gif is just heaven. I could watch it for days.

I finally understand what the other ad guy said to him! Yes the other company did make the commercial. He asked Don he made a commercial and Don said no. too expensive. The guy said "too bad because I'd hate to follow me with just a speech and some posters" (something like that). Of course all of you understood but I'm a little slow.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4047032;
    I finally understand what the other ad guy said to him! Yes the other company did make the commercial. He asked Don he made a commercial and Don said no. too expensive. The guy said "too bad because I'd hate to follow me with just a speech and some posters" (something like that). Of course all of you understood but I'm a little slow.
    Thanks for the response. I didn't realize who that woman was with her hair down. I like her for some reason. Perhaps that will be an interesting storyine.

I'm not convinced there was abuse by grandpa. Maybe they will clear that up in Sally's therapy.

Don's secretary just cracks me up. I think he's scared of her. LOL

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4047236;
    Thanks for the response. I didn't realize who that woman was with her hair down. I like her for some reason. Perhaps that will be an interesting storyine.

I'm not convinced there was abuse by grandpa. Maybe they will clear that up in Sally's therapy.

Don's secretary just cracks me up. I think he's scared of her. LOL
    I an not either. I think her grandpa was a stand up guy for the most part. I would be shocked if that came out. I think it will all lead back to Betty. She SO wanted her mothers approval and its like she felt (or was told) that she wasnt good enough. This has now been put on Sally (who im sorry is so annoying.. this show doesnt need kids). Look how she is with the boys.. much different. Betty is such a bully to Sally, almost because she can be. When she was taking care of her father she was trying to be her mother... to me shes striving to be like her and poor Sally is now little Betty. Sally only wants to be loved and made feel special, her mother doesnt know how. Don is trying in his own bumbling way..but she again, like her mom, wants that approval that Betty doesnt know how to give or the love that shes too closed off to show. Betty needs to grow up and stop being so selfish.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

+ Reply to Thread