+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 141 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 1403
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

  1. #411
    Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,978

    Re: Mad Men

    Don got a photo from Anna of the two of them with a letter that said Stephanie didn't think they looked too old.

    This episode was wonderful. I want Slattery to shoot them all from here on in. The Peggy bits were especially interesting...from the lesbian suggestion, to the counter-cultural business with the people who wanted to see the receptionist, to the Pete encounter, and to Bert eating an apple behind reception. It was all brilliant. I only wish Allison hit Don in the crotch with her toss of the decorative element. As one who has been on the other side of that discussion (under ENTIRELY different circumstances) I understand the insult.

  2. #412
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,532

    Re: Mad Men

    Thanks for the info on the photo.

    I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of Don painting the wall when he was in CA. Also, does anyone understand the meaning behind the old man repeatedly asking his wife is she brought pears home from the market? All of these little seemingly unimportant scenes supposedly contain a message. I just can't figure out what it is.

  3. #413
    FORT Fogey tvaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cypress,California
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Mad Men

    I'm so sad that there aren't more FORT members who like to discuss Mad Men. I tried another chat site but I didn't like it. This site is set up so much better than the others! Mad Men is such a great show and none of my friends watch it! About tonight's episode, like someone wrote somewhere else, I think that Betty and Sally were molested by the grandpa! Betty won't talk and the little girl is all messed up. I wonder why, in 1965, we're not seeing the influence that the The Beatles had on things at the time. We see Peggy hanging out with beatnik types, going to underground parties. I expected to see Bob Dylan playing at the one on last weeks episode. Tonight's episode had a reference to "Help Me Rhonda" (Beach Boys) but I've never heard anything the acknowledges The Beatles. No bid deal but I think it's odd considering just how huge they were.

  4. #414
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,532

    Re: Mad Men

    Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4046356;
    I'm so sad that there aren't more FORT members who like to discuss Mad Men. I tried another chat site but I didn't like it. This site is set up so much better than the others! Mad Men is such a great show and none of my friends watch it! About tonight's episode, like someone wrote somewhere else, I think that Betty and Sally were molested by the grandpa! Betty won't talk and the little girl is all messed up. I wonder why, in 1965, we're not seeing the influence that the The Beatles had on things at the time. We see Peggy hanging out with beatnik types, going to underground parties. I expected to see Bob Dylan playing at the one on last weeks episode. Tonight's episode had a reference to "Help Me Rhonda" (Beach Boys) but I've never heard anything the acknowledges The Beatles. No bid deal but I think it's odd considering just how huge they were.
    Hey tvaholic, I know what you mean about discussing this show. I think that because it requires a lot of concentration and is slow paced at times, some people can't get into it. I know my mom tried to watch twice and just found it boring. LOL I'll send you a PM about some options.

    I loved the show last night again. It's interesting that you mention that Betty and Sally may have been molested. I remember wondering about that possibility when grandpa was living in their house, but I dismissed it because of something that was said. I can't remember what it was right now. Of course, it could have happened.

    I guess I'm not surprised that Betty is still very mean and selfish. It seems her new husband is doing nothing to make her happy. LOL He seems great to me. Betty has just turned into a real witch. Of course she was before, but I thought it was because of Don. Maybe not.

    What do you think of the new lady Don met in the kitchen? What do you know about her? Is this a new lover interest? I hope so.

    OH, ref. the Beatles. Do you remember when Don's secretary was sent to buy Christmas gifts for Don's kids? Don told her to buy Sally some Beatles singles.

  5. #415
    kero kerowyn66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    470

    Re: Mad Men

    The new lady in the kitchen is the doctor that is doing the interviews with test subjects about products. She will see right thru him and run for the hills.

    Love, love, love the new secretary. She is hillarious.

    Betty is a stone cold b***h. She will never be happy because she will never be satisfied with what she has. She is like her mother.

    I believe that Betty and Sally were both molested by Grandpa Gene.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

  6. #416
    FORT Fogey tvaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cypress,California
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Mad Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4046495;
    Hey tvaholic, I know what you mean about discussing this show. I think that because it requires a lot of concentration and is slow paced at times, some people can't get into it. I know my mom tried to watch twice and just found it boring. LOL I'll send you a PM about some options.

    I loved the show last night again. It's interesting that you mention that Betty and Sally may have been molested. I remember wondering about that possibility when grandpa was living in their house, but I dismissed it because of something that was said. I can't remember what it was right now. Of course, it could have happened.

    I guess I'm not surprised that Betty is still very mean and selfish. It seems her new husband is doing nothing to make her happy. LOL He seems great to me. Betty has just turned into a real witch. Of course she was before, but I thought it was because of Don. Maybe not.

    What do you think of the new lady Don met in the kitchen? What do you know about her? Is this a new lover interest? I hope so.

    OH, ref. the Beatles. Do you remember when Don's secretary was sent to buy Christmas gifts for Don's kids? Don told her to buy Sally some Beatles singles.
    Yippee! Someone to talk to. Hey Debb! I can't believe the details that people remember! I tried posting on the other site and a few people also mentioned the 45s. I don't know how I didn't catch that.
    The lady in the kitchen Dr.(?) that runs the groups to find out how people feel about products to get feedback. I can't think of the word for it. Target groups? She's the one that was running the group that, last week, the secretary ran out crying. She's a smart lady and knows how to read people. She seems too smart to fall for Don's charm but you NEVER know. They certainly are attracted to each other! She is also very good at manipulating people's emotions. Don may have met his match! Did you catch the line where Don asked her if she was going out to an imaginary dinner with her imaginary husband? I thought that it was funny.
    I was reading that the name ,that Roger threw out, Dr. Lyle Evans was being googled by everyone. Everyone wanted to know if it was a real person. Apparently he isn't and I want to keep on reading things to find out why they think that it was used. I googled it too so guess that I fell for the joke, what ever it was!

  7. #417
    FORT Fogey tvaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cypress,California
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Mad Men

    Sorry, I didn't see that the question, about the lady in the kitchen, had already been answered. I started my reply and let it sit for 3 hours before submitting it!

  8. #418
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,146

    Re: Mad Men

    Enjoyed last night's episode.
    Enjoyed seeing Betty again. Yes, she's sure rough around the edges, but JJ is just terrific in this role.
    The female Dr. seems like a Dr. Joyce Brothers' type. She's good in the role, although I really don't like her. I did like how they showed Don telling her his "secrets" - perfect touch to show how adept she is at her job.
    The Japanese men commenting on Joan's big b**bs was too, too funny. It translated well in any language.

    They could be going the incest route with Betty's father / Sally's grandfather.
    I loved the part about little Sally cutting her hair - so true.

    Roger's reactions to the Honda people were pretty typical of many people's feelings back then.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  9. #419
    FORT Fogey tvaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cypress,California
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Mad Men

    The scene, when Roger showed up at the meeting, was so uncomfortable to watch! I watched the encore of the show later and went into the kitchen so that I would miss that part. Roger is an ass but I didn't like him being that much of one.
    Please don't think that I'm an idiot for asking this but what happened with the other company's commercial. The guy told Don, as he was leaving the presentation, that they didn't do one, right? One of the men in the group was carrying a movie screen. I think that I need to re-watch it again! I think that I need to start watching it with subtitles because I miss a lot of the dialogue.
    I'm already starting to think about the season ending! I hate having to wait an entire year for it to come back!

  10. #420
    FORT Fogey Harvest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California Wine Country. Cheers!
    Posts
    1,466

    Re: Mad Men

    Betty: A beautiful monster. I was commenting to hubby around the beginning of this season how hard it would be to have her as a mother. Not only is she a horrible mother, but as a daughter, what would it be like to grow up knowing you are never going to be more beautiful than your mother? Most women cede the field to their daughters at some point, but the way they style JJ is just too fabulous.

    I thought in this episode no wonder the little girl wanted to cut her hair to be pretty - she cut the length so the result was pretty much the same exact style as her mother's!

    And I don't know what to make about the molester comments in this thread. I thought the same thing with the grandfather at some point when he was acting so creepy, but then they never really pursued that angle. Of course just having Betty as a mother would be enough to cause that girl to be as creepy as she is (although the neighbor boy is even creepier! I can see them growing up to be part of the Manson family or a kind of Bonnie and Clyde!) But I do not think what she did in this episode was necessarily the result of molestation. The other girl was asleep, so she thought she was alone. Not her fault the woman walked in on her. How embarrassing for all the adults to be talking about it.

    Hopefully it will result in Betty's getting some therapy, as the psychiatrist so skillfully suggested!

    Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4046830;
    Please don't think that I'm an idiot for asking this but what happened with the other company's commercial. The guy told Don, as he was leaving the presentation, that they didn't do one, right? One of the men in the group was carrying a movie screen. I think that I need to re-watch it again! I think that I need to start watching it with subtitles because I miss a lot of the dialogue.
    I'm already starting to think about the season ending! I hate having to wait an entire year for it to come back!
    I think Don told the other guy that Don's company didn't do a commercial - after he had tricked the other firm into doing it. I think I recognized the actor who played his "rival" - one of the gay neighbors in Desperate Housewives.

    I know how you feel - a whole year? - ouch! I do find myself Jonesing for this show when it isn't on.
    Last edited by Harvest; 08-23-2010 at 09:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.