+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 141 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

[QUOTE=Debb70;4031002;]Yes. She came looking for Don after he took over her husband's identity. The two of them made fast friends and really cared about each other. She didn't turn him but went along with it. She agreed to give im a divorce when he fell for Betty and wanted to get married. Even though Don (the real Dick) had never married Anna, he still had to get the divorce because Don was still married to her.

Another thing that confused me last night was that Don told Anna that he never told Betty the truth about himself. I thought he had the night she found the box with all his momentos and photos inside. Was he lying to Anna or did I get it wrong?

Yes, the writing needs to pick up. To take a handsome, strong, sexy, man like Jon Hamm and make him so boring that women are turned off by him is WRONG. Don't they understand that? Why would they shoot themself in the foot that way?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Debb, for clearing up the story with Anna.

And, once again, I have to agree with the comments about Jon Hamm - please bring back the Don Draper, and the show, we've all come to love.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Don did tell Betty everything. In the conversation with Anna, at the suggestion that she'll be Don's kids' aunt, he first balks at that, then she says, "But I thought you told her everything." He goes on to say that he did and he knew as soon as Betty knew who he really was, Betty never wanted to look at him again which is why "he never told her" before Betty discovered the box. Yes, Betty knows Don's past. Don hid the past because he knew Betty would reject him for being the son of a dead whore and a farm kid. He never told her because of that, and once she discovered the truth, he was both vindicated for his belief Betty was so shallow and still rejected because she was as shallow as she was (leaving apart the whole affairs, cheating, etc. business for now).

I don't have a problem with the darker, more conflicted Don. First, he's always been conflicted--leading a double life or a lie is going to make one conflicted, even without the affairs. Now he's in a new job with new stresses, his home life consists of a bottle of whiskey and sex with prostitutes because that's all he can get, and the times are just generally darker. JFK is dead, the Civil Rights Movement is in full swing, and the social revolution is going. If he were all smile and sparkle, it would be disingenuous. And, frankly, a darker Don gives Jon Hamm an opportunity to act his ass off. There are very few actors that could make me feel bad for Don and bring a tear to my eye when he said goodbye to Anna. I wasn't as upset for her (though what her family is doing to her is despicable) as I was for him losing the one long-term good relationship he has in his life.

The second half of the episode was just laugh-out-loud funny (despite the undercurrent of drunken depression). Don and Lane at the movies and at dinner were beyond hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4009331;
    Women mostly didn't wish to have a career because "catching a good man" was far more important and made them feel successful. Also very few mothers/housewives had little time on their hands because they didn't have all the time saving appliances, no-iron clothes, self cleaning ovens, dryers, etc etc.
    The only time-saving devices my mother (a nursing supervisor who worked nights, btw) didn't have in 1964/65 were a dishwasher (that's what her kids were for), self-defrosting freezer, food processor (although she had a well-used blender & hand mixer) & microwave. There were no-iron fabrics for clothes & bed linen (although she would have ironed them anyway) & she certainly had a washer & dryer.

And while she loved my dad, I never got the impression that "catching" him made her feel successful.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;4033604;
    The only time-saving devices my mother (a nursing supervisor who worked nights, btw) didn't have in 1964/65 were a dishwasher (that's what her kids were for), self-defrosting freezer, food processor (although she had a well-used blender & hand mixer) & microwave. There were no-iron fabrics for clothes & bed linen (although she would have ironed them anyway) & she certainly had a washer & dryer.

And while she loved my dad, I never got the impression that "catching" him made her feel successful.
    I guess it depends on many factors as to what a woman's life was like. My mom was a new mother. She worked some of the time and when she did, my brother and I stayed with a nanny who came to our house, cared for us and did the household work. (Very similar to Betty's former maid.) When my mom didn't work, she was at home to do it all. My dad worked a lot during that time.

We had a washing machine, but no dryer so they hung the clothes on the line. We had no microwave, no blender, no food processor, no crock pot, no answering machine, no VCR, and no air conditioner!

We did have a frost free fridge. I remember lots of things had to be ironed and don't recall many wrinkle resistent fabrics until the 70's. My grandmother ironed her sheets and my grandpa's t-shirts!

I just rewatched the "Good News" episode after reading some of the comments here. I think that Don's new life consists of doing more for himself at home than he has done in many years and that reality has set in being divorced. While the writing was done by two men, the director of this episode was a woman. Joan was all over the place and more emotional than usual, but I think that the pressure of a husband in the military and Vietnam lurking combined with wanting to have a baby may be enough to rattle her normally cool attitude. But she did recover from the rose incident enough to promptly fire Lane's secretary for the mistake. That is the old Joan. And when she finds out that Lane's wife has now left him, she may find a way to be nicer to him? Especially since Don and Lane have now bonded

That period of history was pretty dark, as PhoneGrrrl stated, and the shift in the tone of the show seems to follow how it was in those days. It is not as fun as the earlier 60's. We have now entered the era of harder rock, protests and women's lib is on it's way. Anna's niece was a bit of foreshadowing on that front - pot, Berkeley (mention of protests), scoffing at Don being in advertising, a hitchhiking female, etc.

Good points Cootie. I just thought that since Joan went off the pill, she was possibly ovulating for the first time a few years. Maybe her hormones were to blame for her behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4034831;
    Good points Cootie. I just thought that since Joan went off the pill, she was possibly ovulating for the first time a few years. Maybe her hormones were to blame for her behavior.
    I was getting that vibe, too! I forgot to mention that. It goes nicely with the rest of what I thought was affecting her.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4034831;
    OR, it could just be the stress of her life - loving her husband, who is a self-involved rapist who may be now going off to war....not to mention the whole baby issue, which is probably pretty conflicting too. Plus, she's having to babysit the giant boys she works for. She seems to be the one holding everything together in that place.

She spent so much time being objectified at Sterling Cooper and I'm sure she feels like she's gotten beyond a lot of that at the new firm and gained some respect for her abilities. That's probably why she blew up over the whole thing with the flowers.

I think she has plenty of reasons to be stressed out and on edge that have nothing to do with hormones.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

This episode was not as dark as the previous shows this season (if you don't count the Don Draper apt. scenes)... Peggy's reaction to Peter's news was priceless . I liked that this episode was so focused on the women. And that it was more about advertising. And about the counterculture.

I loved the show last night! The episode had a good pace to it and was quite interesting. I hope they are now back on track.

I loved the part where Peggy went to the warehouse, where Andy Warhall, used to throw parties and show his art and movies! I have seen several movies about the NY scene during that time so it all just pulled together and added to the show IMO. Just great! What's up with Peggy and the new artist? She is losing interest in her boyfried. She's outgrown the guy. Peggy is going to be a part of the new generation at that time such as Women's liberation, civil rights movement, anti-war movement, hippie rebellion, etc.. I just can't wait!

I have a quesiton. I missed who was in the photo Don was looking at in the beginning of the show.

Why doesn't Don wine and dine women the way he did when he was married?

+ Reply to Thread