+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 141 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 1403
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

  1. #31
    FORT Fogey tvaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cypress,California
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Mad Men

    Great line from Don's (?) daughter, "Why are we in the living room?". I don't know about you guys but we weren't allowed in the living room unless it was a holiday or we were dusting it!!!!!! Funny. The humor is so subtle.

  2. #32
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,868

    Re: Mad Men

    Quote Originally Posted by mozzz;2537931;
    And as much as I realize how women in the workplace were treated back in 1960, makes me uncomfortable watching it each episode, I feel so bad for them! At least they should keep the show going until they hit 1970 or something and women get some rights and have a voice so I can feel better about going into the office again, hehe.
    Or race. I guess this show is more comedy than drama because they don't really address the racial climate of the times except in passing like when Peggy gets a throw in line about how two black employees are scape goated and fired for what went on during the election party. Or maybe the creators of the show are waiting for the decade to progress a little. You've got President Kennedy vs Governor Wallace, The March on Washington, President Johnson getting the civil rights bill passed, just to name a few.

  3. #33
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    driving ballet carpool
    Posts
    465

    Re: Mad Men

    I love all the flash backs to what was normal the drycleaner bags the kids are playing with over their heads, smoking and drinking while pregnant the gloves!! I do love the fashion and just the mention of bringing jello for dinner in the last episode. Jello ha! I love it when they mention the cost of things too that is hilarious to me.

    I can't wait to see how they develop Peggy what is her agenda and her quirks. Was she hoping for something with the priest? Was he hoping for something with her?? Betty has a lot to reveal too I believe or she will develop into something a whole lot more.
    The scene between Don and his son about Don's father was very tender and revealed quite a bit. I love that they dress up so much for dinner too.
    I can't wait to see Pete get his some day!

  4. #34
    Retired! hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    in a good place
    Posts
    27,046

    Re: Mad Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Gambler;3168680;
    Or race. I guess this show is more comedy than drama because they don't really address the racial climate of the times except in passing like when Peggy gets a throw in line about how two black employees are scape goated and fired for what went on during the election party. Or maybe the creators of the show are waiting for the decade to progress a little. You've got President Kennedy vs Governor Wallace, The March on Washington, President Johnson getting the civil rights bill passed, just to name a few.
    The elevator operators are African American, and studiously polite. It's kind of chilling to think that would be your goal as a job because I'm sure if you were going to be an elevator operator, being on Madison Avenue would be the top elevator operator position you could strive for.

    Another thing that shocks me are the people who get fired for covering for a boss, and everyone accepts it. They've mentioned it as happening to some secretaries but you get the feeling that just goes down the line. If you're a copywriter and something goes horribly wrong you take the fall even if you had told your boss his idea was going to tank and he stuck with it.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

  5. #35
    FORT Fogey candor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Mad Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;3169482;
    I love all the flash backs to what was normal the drycleaner bags the kids are playing with over their heads, smoking and drinking while pregnant the gloves!! I do love the fashion and just the mention of bringing jello for dinner in the last episode.
    The drycleaner bags moment cracked me up! And I had to call my mother when Betty was spreading cream cheese into celery stalks for hors d'oeuvres. Mom used to make the same thing with Kraft pimento spread. And for a "salad," lime jello, cottage cheese and pineapple.

  6. #36
    FORT Fogey tvaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cypress,California
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Mad Men

    Quote Originally Posted by candor;3169502;
    The drycleaner bags moment cracked me up! And I had to call my mother when Betty was spreading cream cheese into celery stalks for hors d'oeuvres. Mom used to make the same thing with Kraft pimento spread. And for a "salad," lime jello, cottage cheese and pineapple.
    I love to watch the episodes a couple of times because I always catch little things that I had missed. Funny thing is that my dad still wants me to make "stuffed celery" when I do holiday dinners. I prefer to do things more like Martha Stewart would but I still have to have that damn plate of celery (with cream cheese and olives) to make my daddy happy! I wouldn't be surprised if we see them making deviled eggs on a future episode (my dad likes those too)! I also remember some 60's show that always had an ad for Miracle Whip with a recipe to use it in. I didn't know what real Mayo tasted like until I was about 10! I wouldn't be surprised if they make a reference to Miracle Whip at some point.

  7. #37
    FORT Fogey candor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Mad Men

    Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3169530;
    I didn't know what real Mayo tasted like until I was about 10!
    Neither did I!

  8. #38
    FORT Fogey tvaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cypress,California
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Mad Men

    Quote Originally Posted by candor;3169713;
    Neither did I!
    I'm not alone???!!!??? You're invited to Thanksgiving at my house!!!!!!

  9. #39
    FORT Fogey candor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Mad Men

    Mom used Miracle Whip in everything, including potato salad. She also made American Spaghetti, which was made with tomato soup and Velveeta; tuna-noodle casserole topped with crumbled potato chips; and sauteed hot dogs and onions served over a pile o' mashed potatoes, which, of course were made with Potato Buds. And lots of pineapple upside down cake. You should check out Amy Sedaris' book on entertaining, "I Like You." Lots of great ideas, including a lovely tower of meat. Perfect '60s cuisine.

  10. #40
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    driving ballet carpool
    Posts
    465

    Re: Mad Men

    How about all those pointy bras??!!! That cracks me up! I would love to know how they get Betty's hair to do that perfect wave too!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.