+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 141 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989139 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

I think the slapping in bed was one of the more obvious, hamfisted moments of the show and I'm a bit disappointed they went that route. Don, big powerful mogul, feels like he needs to be punished. Whatever.

I have to retract my comment on the plaid wallpaper because it is still there. I must have been confusing which house they were in with the grandmother's.

I disagree about the fight over the ham - I thought that was great and showed that Peggy is more willing to take risks than Pete (although she talked him into it). I thought the original idea was good, the execution was mildly funny, but they lost me when the women continued the fight. That was just a big setup to make sure it got revealed to Don in the most embarrassing way possible.

Enjoyed the premiere the way I usually enjoy this show. I pretty much dislike everyone on screen and yet it stays with you because the stories are compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4005306;
    I thought the idea by Pete and Peggy with the call girls being hired to fight was rather silly. It seemed far below their potential. Is that the best the writers could come up with for the season's opening show? Mmmmmm. .
    They weren't actually call girls, they were trying to figure out how to fit them in the budget without letting on to the ham company they had staged it. Pete says something like, "I can put them on the expense account if they're whores." But they used actresses.
    Last edited by hepcat; 07-26-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Re: Mad Men

Was this episode written by Matthew Weiner?
    I understand it's a new season and the times they are a'changin', but last night was just not right, IMO.
    Peggy seems to have grown quite a pair overnight and doesn't seem to bear any resemblance whatsoever to the old Peggy.
    Don't know who the actess was that played Don's new date, but her acting was so bad that I actually wished Suzanne from last season had returned. And I couldn't stand Suzanne....
    And, i'm not even going to talk about the scene with Don in bed. Was that Weiner's fantasy or something?

I am soooooo disappointed.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4004954;

I'm on the West coast but HBO runs the east coast feed for us at 7:00.
    I am also on the West coast ... can you explain what you mean by this ... I have HBO as well but did not notice MAD MEN on at 7:00pm???
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4005962;
    Was this episode written by Matthew Weiner?
    I understand it's a new season and the times they are a'changin', but last night was just not right, IMO.
    Peggy seems to have grown quite a pair overnight and doesn't seem to bear any resemblance whatsoever to the old Peggy.
    Don't know who the actess was that played Don's new date, but her acting was so bad that I actually wished Suzanne from last season had returned. And I couldn't stand Suzanne....
    And, i'm not even going to talk about the scene with Don in bed. Was that Weiner's fantasy or something?

I am soooooo disappointed.
    Yes, written by Matthew Weiner.

I think that since a year has gone by, it is understandable seeing Peggy as more in control. Women still were treated on a different level as was shown when Don wouldn't let her come into the Jantzen ad presentation. And she is still somewhat fearful of Don, but not much.

Bethany Van Nuys was played by Anna Camp who appeared in some tv episodes including Glee and The Office. I think that the character seems a little young for Don, but I guess I don't know how old he is. She was supposed to be 25. I kind of liked her, though and am curious where this is going.

The bed scene was pretty creepy, but Don has his demons.

I liked that so much time had gone by. I would have liked to have seen the start up months, but I suppose that they could always do flashbacks if the story needed them. The baby should be a toddler now, too. I do think it is ridiculous that Henry and Betty are in Don's house. I thought Henry was ready to completely take care of them. Yeah, right...I like Henry's mom's reaction to Betty. And Henry is not aging very gracefully. Don's line that most people feel it (he meant Betty-Henry) was a temporary situation was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4005407;

They weren't actually call girls, they were trying to figure out how to fit them in the budget without letting on to the ham company they had staged it. Pete says something like, "I can put them on the expense account if they're whores." But they used actresses.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have to rewatch more carefully. LOL

I didn't like the way they had Peggy's hairstyle and dress. Something about it didn't suit her. I think she used to have lighter colored hair and that she looks better in lighter colored hair.

Joan wants this new girl for Don. Why? For some reason every woman that comes into Don's life as a lover is not amusing or attractive to me. Why is that? His wife is the most attractive woman they have paired him with and she is a witch. The first girlfriend in season one, was nice enough, but still had no sizzle to her. They don't seem to do a good job casting a good lover for him. This is a missed opportunity IMO.

Thanks, Cootie, for confirming that Weiner did write the episode.
    Lest I sound chauvinistic, this show benefits from a female POV in the writing, IMO.
    I just felt it was way too heavy handed and over the top with too much gratuitous sex and/or language that felt out of character and solely done to "create buzz."
    To Thine Own Self Be True

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;4006021;
    I am also on the West coast ... can you explain what you mean by this ... I have HBO as well but did not notice MAD MEN on at 7:00pm???
    I think hepcat meant AMC not HBO... as MM is on AMC.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;4008419;
    I think hepcat meant AMC not HBO... as MM is on AMC.
    Whoops - thanks, I was flipping between True Blood and Mad Men.

But yes, AMC had Mad Men on the West Coast at 7:00, True Blood at 9:00.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4005407;
    I think the slapping in bed was one of the more obvious, hamfisted moments of the show and I'm a bit disappointed they went that route. Don, big powerful mogul, feels like he needs to be punished. Whatever.
    I was hoping for more of an explanation of the slapping business from Weiner and listened to his Fresh Air interview on the new season. He first started out by mentioning that Don showed a proclivity for a bit of roughness back with Bobbie Barrett, but then went to the "Don needs punished" story. I felt like it was a cop-out. Then he went on to argue that Betty is a good mother. I'm not sure Matt Weiner is watching the same show I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3993316;
    I think Joan is my favorite, but Peggy is pretty fascinating as well. The mystery that surrounds Don is compelling, but he is such a scoundrel that I have a hard time with his choices... makes for fun viewing! All of the female characters are interesting to me for various reasons. I was a young girl in the early 1960's so much of the appeal is in the way that they portray the era. Their clothes remind me of some that I dressed my Barbie doll in, the smoking reminds me of the ashtrays everyone had in their homes, smoking in all public places, etc. and the ads remind me of reading Life magazine and other media - early television included. My daughter and I enjoy this show together - it is funny how I can come up with things to share about the era with her after watching the show - things I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.
    I love Mad Men and it brings back a lot of memories to me also. I was 14 in 1960 so I have a pretty good memory and viewpoint on that era. The clothes and mannerisms are so right on but I do think they exaggerate the sterotypes more than how they really were. And by that I mean, women were definitely not treated a equals by men but they were treated very courteously and men felt very protective of them, more so than they are now. Men were not as blatenly chauvinistic and outspoken as they are portrayed. Altho they may have been thinking those things but politeness was a big deal then. I also think that the housewives feeling belittled, worthless, bored is exaggerated and seen thru today's views on women and their roles in life. It was so accepted that a wife was a housewife and mother that most didn't really think that they had gotten a bad deal out of life. In those days, marriage was the prize, not a career. Women mostly didn't wish to have a career because "catching a good man" was far more important and made them feel successful. Also very few mothers/housewives had little time on their hands because they didn't have all the time saving appliances, no-iron clothes, self cleaning ovens, dryers, etc etc.

+ Reply to Thread