+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 141 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080130 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

What a terrific season finale, or premiere, as Crit so aptly put it.
    Loved, once again, the interweaving of Don's past and present. The scenes with his birth family are so integral to maing him a real character and not just a one dimensional stick figure that we see so often on TV.
    MM is definitely not being cancelled. S4 is going to premiere 8/2010.
    I loved the scene of Don/Roger getting drunk in the bar like they did last season and Roger clueing in Don as to what's going on with Betty.
    I was thrilled to not see the schoolteacher in this episode.
    And, Burt letting Roger know how he blew his profits/money in the company when he married that trollop! Totally priceless!
    I am already going through MM withdrawal.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I felt so sad for the kids this episode. Both Betty and Don are too self involved to think about what their kids need, how things will effect them or spend time with them. At least they didn't blame each other in front of the kids. It was a time when divorce was just becoming common and people didn't really understand the effects divorce can have on children.

I loved everything that everyone else did, with one addition... Roger asking Peggy to get him some coffee and Peggy saying "NO" firmly and without apology or explaination. Loved it!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3746208;
    Didn't the attorney say they needed to be there for six weeks in order for her to get the divorce? Was she planning on leaving the kids with the housekeeper all that time? Whatever Don's flaws are (and there are many), I actually think he might be a better custodial parent - he's an adult. Plus, he knows what it's like to grow up in a chaotic home and doesn't seem to want that for his children.
    I could not believe she gallivanted off to Reno for 6 weeks and left the older 2 kids alone with her "girl"! Why in the world would she kick Don out of the house at the same time that she is not going to be there for 6 whole weeks, knowing how that was affecting the kids??!!??
    But the fact that Don just left and also does not seem to be taking any responsibility for being with those kids makes us think that he doesn't deserve custody, either. After threatening to take the kids away from Betty, he sure gave up in a hurry! I also didn't like that he called Betty a whore, given all the times he has cheated on her. We do agree with his calling her a spoiled brat, however.

The startup company was interesting; I was curious to know what they were offering in terms of salary. Whatever Joanie was getting, she was way underpaid.

As for Peggy, her responses seem kind of anachronistic. In that time she would have just seemed crazy. Also I don't think anyone would have talked in "psychobabble" like Don did to her, thinking of her as an extension of himself, blah blah. No way; that would never have occurred to a man and/or a boss back then.

I don't like Pete because he is yet another adulterer, and a drunken rapist, but the actor looked mighty fine in the apartment scene with his "casual" hair and robe!

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3746378;
    I am already going through MM withdrawal.
    I was going through withdrawal even as I was watching it, sad that it wouldn't be on for a while. Besides being so witty, stylish, etc., it is just so emotionally impactful. After shaking viewers to the core every week -- poof, disappear for months!
    Last edited by Harvest; 11-09-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3746528;
    I could not believe she gallivanted off to Reno for 6 weeks and left the older 2 kids alone with her "girl"! Why in the world would she kick Don out of the house at the same time that she is not going to be there for 6 whole weeks, knowing how that was affecting the kids??!!??
    But the fact that Don just left and also does not seem to be taking any responsibility for being with those kids makes us think that he doesn't deserve custody, either. After threatening to take the kids away from Betty, he sure gave up in a hurry! (
    After reading this, it makes me wonder if Don was actually relieved to be out of that situation? It seems that in the episodes where he is away from the family he is much happier.

I definitely think Betty and Henry will not happen. Betty and Don will probably reconcile at a later time on MM.
    Don felt he totally exposed himself to Betty and then she chose to dump him! That is very hard for Don to take and his calling her the W word and steelily extracting himself from physically abusing her was very realistic - esp. for that time. And, back in the 60's, unless the mother was a total derelict (figuratively and literally), custody never went to the man. Plus, Don has remarked before that Betty is a good mother. Again, this is based on standards from those days and not today's.
    I happen to think that Betty was totally disappointed in Don not fighting for her. It showed on her face with the phone call and, again, on the plane to Reno. She does happen to love Don.
    And, dare I say, Don does happen to love her.
    JH should get the Emmy next year. THat scene in the bedroom showed nuance, restraint and exceptional acting. So much better than most of the over the top performances that always seem to get the nod.

JD, I just realized your AV was of JH. Wow, he looks so different! Where'd you find it?
    Last edited by norealityhere; 11-09-2009 at 08:05 PM.

FORT Fogey

I'm not so sure Don and Betty love each other. I think they got married because they were in love with the idea of each other, but in real life they're terrible together. I do think that Don has truly accepted that the marriage is over and is moving on with his life with the excitement of the start-up company. OTOH Betty is repeating the same mistake she made the first time, planning to marry someone she really doesn't know because she thinks he'll give her the lifestyle she wants. I think it's possible we'll see Don coming into his own in S4 while Betty is disappointed again when she realizes she's traded one type of isolation for another. Henry's career in politics will take as much time, if not more, away from her as Don and his career (plus philandering). And we really don't know much about Henry. He may turn out to be very different from the knight in shining armor.

I don't blame Don for not taking the kids while Betty's in Reno. He's a principal in a start-up company, where he'll need to devote huge amounts of time to get things up and running. There are no laptops or BlackBerries to enable him to stay connected to what's happening at work while he's involved with the kids. They need some stability and continuity during this difficult transition, and the housekeeper is the one constant in their lives at this point. I think there's no question that Don loves them and will try to be with them as much as he can.

Unfortunately, I don't get the AMC channel where I'm at so I have to keep up with the latest happenings through all the nice posters here on Fans of Reality TV. Thanks for filling me in!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I think Don did love Betty at one point; last season when we had flash-backs to him & the real Mrs. Draper, he seemed genuinely in love with Betty. But now, I don't know...it could be more of an ideal than anything. And I don't trust Henry Francis as far as I could throw my tv. I don't think Don knows Betty abandoned the kids with Carla for the holidays; if he did, he'd be in Ossining. That scene where Bobby thought he was the reason Don was leaving and Sally took Don to task...it just broke my calloused heart.

I'm glad Don and Roger buried the hatchet or close enough to it, but that scene with Don & Betty after Don learned of Henry....damn, I was on the edge of my couch, literally. "Whore" & "mainline"....Don went for the deep cut and Betty took it standing up. I don't like Betty (never have), but January Jones is an awesome actress. She and Jon Hamm deserve Emmys for their acting.

I loved the "shut the door & sit down" consistency of the first half of the episode. That was freakin' brilliant. Peggy & Pete both standing up to Don in their own ways--and him knowing what to tell them to make them get on board--was complete viewer satisfaction. And "Did you wash your hands?" has to be close to the top of best lines ever.

While I really wanted Sal back in the finale, I am so, so glad Joan is back in the picture. After all, what will she have to do once her dumbass husband goes off to Vietnam to only be shot by his own men? (Okay, that's just my fantasy; I do not like Dr. McRapey.)

It is absolutely ridiculous how much I'm addicted to Mad Men. I think I may just have to start the series over on DVD and obsessively listen to the commentary tracks or something to get me past my withdrawal.

I'm like you , Phone Grrl, this show is my fave and I'm absolutely addicted.
    I only stared watching last season. Missed all of S1.
    The show and the characters are just so real and you so selldom see that on network TV.
    Glad to see someone else who recognizes what a good actress JJ is, too. Most people really dislike her character and also pn her acting. I find her to be such a throwback to the Hitchcock "icy, but beautiful blondes" of that era. Her cold and aloof manner is very good acting on her part and wholly consistent with a majority of females from that era.

+ Reply to Thread