+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 141 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

So, what did you all think of the first episode of the season?
    I thought Peggy turned out mean. Wonder when they'll let us know what happened to the baby.
    I can never tell what Don's wife is going to do. Try being a call girl?

My take was that Peggy was being more like the guys in the office. I'm interested to see what they'll do with her character.

I love this show. it seems like Peggy may have more that one child based on the last ep.

I think the younger child is hers, but the other one called her "Aunt Peggy," so I'd assume that's her sister's child.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The last scene where her baby is in church, she's not going to communion, she just sat there while the baby fussed and didn't react to the child at all. She's an intriguing character. She doesn't seem to have a moral compass and she doesn't seem to be at all maternal.

In the first season I really didn't like Don Draper and it's funny how they managed to build sympathy for him. At first glance he is just this boozing, cheating business professional but by the end he was so much more complex.

I couldn't believe that the younger, sleazier guy (I'm blanking on his name) used his father's death to help land the American Airlines account. Even though there were hints there wasn't much love lost there, that was so cold-hearted.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3156545;
    In the first season I really didn't like Don Draper and it's funny how they managed to build sympathy for him. At first glance he is just this boozing, cheating business professional but by the end he was so much more complex.
    That's what I love about this show: the characters are rarely just good or bad, just like real life. I actually do like Don, but I can understand why some viewers wouldn't. For me, he's obviously trying so hard to get away from his past that he hasn't formed normal attachments to people like, oh, his wife, for instance! The whole story line with his brother was heartbreaking.

I couldn't believe that the younger, sleazier guy (I'm blanking on his name) used his father's death to help land the American Airlines account. Even though there were hints there wasn't much love lost there, that was so cold-hearted.
    His name is Pete and I've never liked him. From the way he treated Peggy to how he tried to get Don fired by exposing his past, he's just scummy and self-centered. I found it hard to feel sorry for him when his father died: he's the most unsympathetic character on the show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3156580;
    That's what I love about this show: the characters are rarely just good or bad, just like real life. I actually do like Don, but I can understand why some viewers wouldn't. For me, he's obviously trying so hard to get away from his past that he hasn't formed normal attachments to people like, oh, his wife, for instance! The whole story line with his brother was heartbreaking.
    I agree, it took me his storyline to understand why he acted the way he did and it really changed my perspective on him. His brother - oh, that was so sad. That scene of Don just holding his head after finding out on the phone was so well-done, I get goosebumps remembering.

His name is Pete and I've never liked him. From the way he treated Peggy to how he tried to get Don fired by exposing his past, he's just scummy and self-centered. I found it hard to feel sorry for him when his father died: he's the most unsympathetic character on the show.
    Ugh, at first I though he was just supposed to be the stereotypical sexist Madison Avenue guy but he's obviously so much worse, a woman-hater, a manipulative sleaze. The storyline with his wife & wife's family not being what he was expecting just doesn't help me feel anything for him.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

This series really does produce goosebump moments. Mine came at the end of one episode in the first season when the music -- the "Waters of Babylon" -- played while the camera caught the characters in moments of silent detachment, especially Joanie and Roger standing on the curb pretending to be strangers. That's when I got really hooked on this show.

And I was thinking of PG13's comment upthread about how Mad Men talks about Don Draper's creative genius but doesn't show it. I'd noticed that too. Except for the Kodak Carousel pitch, his genius seemed pretty ordinary. But then again, maybe the show is trying to stay true to the era in this, too. Advertising wasn't as sophisticated then as it is now, which explains the guys mocking the Volkswagen Beetle "Lemon" ad, which was ahead of its time.

Watched this for the first time last night. What a terrific show. The settings, the fashions, the people - everything really creates a perfect backdrop for Madison Ave. in the 60's. Can't believe how well produced this show is.

This is THE best show!!! This show is more 60's than the 60's! I love it!

+ Reply to Thread