+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 141 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777127 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;3736530;
    As soon as Joan's husband said he'd joined the Army and mentioned Vietnam as one of the possible destinations, I thought that will be the end of Captain Creepy (I've always thought he's a creep and Joan's too good for him). And then Roger will realize his child bride was a mistake, and will find out Joan's a widow, and then... Oh well, I can dream!
    Yes, as soon as he said Vietnam "if that's still going on" I had the same daydream. More likely he will be MIA and cause problems down the line.

Even though I knew all the revelations, they made me feel all the shock of them as if they were new.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3736662;
    Yes, as soon as he said Vietnam "if that's still going on" I had the same daydream. More likely he will be MIA and cause problems down the line.

Even though I knew all the revelations, they made me feel all the shock of them as if they were new.
    I think that's a testament to John Hamm and January Jones, who are both really stepping it up this season. January makes you feel the shock all over again through Betty's eyes. Those scenes were really powerful.

I had the same daydream/wish about Joan's creepy husband dying in Vietnam. It's a shame because I like that actor. I just HATE the character. He definitely does not deserve Joan. I'd love to see Roger redeem himself by dumping the child bride and marrying Joan...and, of course, staying faithful. Those two were great together.

I hope we haven't seen the last of Sal. I really liked him.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The dogfood focus group was hilarious. "I can't turn this off, it's really happening."

One thing I like about this show is that they don't do the obvious thing, which is to drag out a plot point for the drama of it. They could have easily had Betty confront Don as the season finale cliffhanger. Instead, she comes literally out of the dark at Don. I remember glancing at the clock and realizing it was only 30 minutes into the episode, so we were going to get to see something substantial. Awesome. Any other show it seems like would have gone for an unnecessary cliffhanger.

You miss Sal, I miss Pete! Bah, I miss them both.

I really dont understand all of the references to Miss Farrell being or going crazy/loony/nuts.

With her long, curly brown hair, night time running & garage apartment, she represents what will happen in a few years to nice, middle class, grade school teachers: Liberation.

Of course she shouldn't have affairs with her students' dads -- something she's obviously done before. Or fall in love with them. But I think she's shown grace & tact & terrible sadness.

I think the main problem with Ms. Farrell is that that she has affairs with married men. For me, that doesn't represent future liberation, it represents bad behavior.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3738432;
    I think the main problem with Ms. Farrell is that that she has affairs with married men. For me, that doesn't represent future liberation, it represents bad behavior.
    Adultery is wrong, whether it's an angry wife (Betty, Bobbie), horny husband (Don, Pete, et al), or a single woman with her own needs (Joan, Suzanne, Jane) behaving badly.

Everyone loves Joan & many romaticize her relationship with Roger. So why demonize this sad eyed woman? I really don't get it.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

There were so many things just sooo damn right with tonight's episode. There can't just be one more left! I'm not going to spoil the west coast viewers, but we all knew the Kennedy assassination was coming up and, man, they handled it well. I've never really been in "that place" to be that emotional about Kennedy's assassination (been more intrigued by the conspiracy theories behind it, to be honest) but the way it was treated really emotionally resonated for me. And the very last act, well, I don't always identify with Don, but I felt the gut-kick.

Anyone else also watching Community? I find the different "voices" Alison Brie uses in that show and Mad Men to be really kind of cool.

FORT Fogey

One of the best, if not the best, episodes of the entire series!

I thought it was a very realistic depiction of the way people reacted to the Kennedy assassination. I was just a kid at the time, but I remember those TV news reports and the way everything seemed frozen in time when the news of his death was announced, the stunned reaction from the teachers at school and all the adults in our lives.

Henry barely knows Betty and he wants to marry her?? Run, Betty, run!!

The Kennedy assassination was extremely well depicted.
    It represented the loss of innocence in America and its profound effect on everyone at that time.
    Kudos to Jon Hamm for being able to bring so much empathy to his role. Simply amazing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

On reflection, besides what has already been said on how they covered the Kennedy assassination, I am impressed how they worked it into the character's lives - Trudy telling Pete to take control of his career, Pete actually reaching that point, Betty deciding that no, she's not going to accept her husband's revelations. It brought everyone to that point of "everything is going to be different now."

+ Reply to Thread