+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 141 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Re: Mad Men

What an AWESOME episode last night! I can't wait to see what Betty's move is... and the ramifications

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Generally it's been feeling like MM has been slowing down, but that was a great episode. I can't believe the secretary who drove the lawn mower is still there! Paul having a bit of "stress relief" with the bra add...Don being almost relationship-y with the (I think) crazy teacher woman AND being all "It works out in the end"-mellow to Paul...Roger's nutty mother and his clearly fake but so well-delivered speech at the anniversary party...the reveal that SC is up for sale...Betty finding the box (though I'm not sure she fully put the pieces together with the Dick/Don photos). The only thing that was lacking was some crazy Pete and some Joan. But the whole season has been light on Joan, and I hope they fix that in the remaining three episodes.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3732030;
    Generally it's been feeling like MM has been slowing down, but that was a great episode. I can't believe the secretary who drove the lawn mower is still there! Paul having a bit of "stress relief" with the bra add...Don being almost relationship-y with the (I think) crazy teacher woman AND being all "It works out in the end"-mellow to Paul...Roger's nutty mother and his clearly fake but so well-delivered speech at the anniversary party...the reveal that SC is up for sale...Betty finding the box (though I'm not sure she fully put the pieces together with the Dick/Don photos). The only thing that was lacking was some crazy Pete and some Joan. But the whole season has been light on Joan, and I hope they fix that in the remaining three episodes.
    I agree with all of that!

I am definitely waiting for Don's new plaything to go batspit crazy and boil a rabbit.

I couldn't believe the foot hacking secretary was around still. Thought we'd definitely seen the last of her! After Paul had talked to Achilles I kept saying "write it down... write it down... write it down!!!!" But I was glad to see he didn't come up with any excuses which is something I would've expected from the likes of Peter Campbell. Paul screwed up... he knew he screwed up... he admitted to it... he owned it... was impressed by Peggy's handling of things... and wasn't raked over the coals by Don who just said things like this happen.

I was surprised by Betty sitting there with that box and waiting for Don to come home. That seemed so bold for her... but when she just kept mum about it after all, that did not surprise me. She was raised to know that appearances matter so just suck it up... but I can't wait to see what she does from here.

This was one of my favorite episodes... definitely my favorite this season because so many different storylines were in motion AND moving!

I think next week will be some Joan, based on the previews.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

After seeing the commercial for the activities on their official website, I did the "madmenyourself" game where you make an icon and/or wallpaper. Then I took the "which character are you" quiz. I was a Joan Holloway.

The British wife also plays the dean's wife in Californication. I like the character better in Mad Men, but would prefer if different shows spread the work around to different actors.

Betty looked stunning as usual - her hairdos are a star in their own right, even when up in pincurls, lol.
    Last edited by Harvest; 10-20-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Tonight's episode was really the best of the season, beating the lawn mower incident by far. If Jon Hamm doesn't win an Emmy for it, it will be too sad. Loved that Joan was back; loved that Roger was in full capacity, not just there to throw a one-liner or something; loved the Don & Betty moments...total edge of the seat stuff. I'm just waiting for the teacher lady (Suzanne, as it turns out) to go full-on Fatal Attraction in the last couple of episodes, though I doubt that will happen since she was worried about her job status. Matt Weiner really knows how to make me wish there were more than 2 episodes left in the season, that bastard!

I thought it was fantastic too, PG! It seems that every episode is better than the last. I can't believe we only have two more episodes this season.

Throughout all the scenes with Don and Betty, I kept thinking about that poor girl sitting out there in the car and wondering if she was going to come knocking on the door for Don.

I loved that we got to see so much of Joan. They really need to get her back at Sterling Cooper. There's been way too little of her this season. There were several little moments in this episode where you saw how much Roger cares about her. When he was talking to the dog food woman (how gross was that whole story? Blech) and said something like she wasn't the one, it was clear to me that "the one" wasn't either of his wives. When he made that call on Joan's behalf, it was obvious that SHE is The One. I hope she'll dump that loser of a husband...if not this season, then next. She's the smartest person on that show, so she needs to get rid of that creep.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3736296;
    Throughout all the scenes with Don and Betty, I kept thinking about that poor girl sitting out there in the car and wondering if she was going to come knocking on the door for Don.
    When Don & Betty were in the bedroom and Don was explaining the pictures, they kept framing the shot so the bedroom door was in the scene. I expected the teacher to walk in at any second. It was nerve-wracking.

And I know I can't be the only one who let out a little cheer when Joan smacked her dumb ass husband in the back of the head with the vase. Not that I condone spousal abuse, obviously, but in the context of the show it made me happy.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I agree with both of you - awesome episode. I also kept waiting for teacher to walk right in the house. I loved the way Betty handled Don. She didn't let him shift the conversation - just kept putting the focus back on him. As for the Emmy for John Hamm - I was thinking the same thing. By the end of the episode, I thought this guy can write his own ticket after this season.... How can they possibly satisfy me with only two more episodes? Akkk!

FORT Fogey

I've enjoyed this season but I agree this was the best episode by far. Very powerful scenes with Don and Betty, and loved seeing more of Roger and Joan.

As soon as Joan's husband said he'd joined the Army and mentioned Vietnam as one of the possible destinations, I thought that will be the end of Captain Creepy (I've always thought he's a creep and Joan's too good for him). And then Roger will realize his child bride was a mistake, and will find out Joan's a widow, and then... Oh well, I can dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;3732168;
    I agree with all of that!

I am definitely waiting for Don's new plaything to go batspit crazy and boil a rabbit.
    ITA, we said the exact same thing about the teacher and rabbit boiling

I also kept waiting for the teacher to walk into the house this episode, or at least knock on the door.

I loved the scenes between Don and Betty and I really have hope that this will help the marriage. Don will realize what's important and that he can open up to Betty and be accepted by her, maybe. Betty will see Don's vulnerable side and feel closer and more needed, feel special to him because he is sharing his real self with her. Maybe....or maybe she'll use it to get her way, but I really hope for the marriage to grow stronger and closer for the sake of the kids.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 10-26-2009 at 04:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread