+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 141 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575125 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3725689;
    Don was such an insufferable bastard in last night's episode, all of the entitlement and none of the charm. Yuck.
    I'll say. Someone definitely peed in his Wheaties!! He sure can say a lot with his eyes, though - a super actor!

Kao

I'm taking bets that Don's going to knock up the schoolteacher, and she's going to turn into a raging bunny-boiler!

Poor Sal...T_T

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I've watched the episode for a second time...I seem to always need to watch it twice. Don's "you people" comment is reprehensible on both the "you gays" level and the "you people who won't whore themselves out for the company" level. I don't know which was intended more, and I think that's what Weiner hoped for. The conflict that the episode set up--Betty & Don in bed together, each anticipating an affair, Conrad Hilton (at least the character's) looniness, Roger's down-dressing of Don, Harry's job dangers, and poor, poor Sal....I just hope they deliver on the last four episodes of the season. I need some Joan, Peggy, and office guys' story-lines to make this feel like a complete season. I really don't want this season to be just about Don and Betty and a cowboy hat wearing bi-polar affected millionaire. Plus, don't get me started on the racial issues and Carla. I really wish we'd have an episode where she'd just tell Betty to back the hell off. But that's not going to happen.

The lovely Christina Hendricks (Joan from Mad Men) got married to actor Geoffrey Arend. Guess who introduced them? Vincent Kartheiser (Pete from Mad Men) How cute is that?

I looked up her husband on imdb to see if I recognized any of the shows/movies he's done. He did the voice for Charles "Upchuck" Ruttheimer III in the Daria cartoon which is my avatar the moment.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Reprehensible, today, yes but Don's comment to Sal was totally appropriate for that time period. I was wondering about Sal's next move when he called home from that payphone seemingly in the park.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;3726481;
    Reprehensible, today, yes but Don's comment to Sal was totally appropriate for that time period. I was wondering about Sal's next move when he called home from that payphone seemingly in the park.
    Um, I wasn't wondering.

Well, once again I find myself not admiring Don in the slightest. What surprises me more is that I'm starting to understand Betty a little. I think I liked her for the first time when she wrote that letter. I was not expecting to hear she had any thoughts at all. It's obvious the affair she was setting up in her head was 99% romance, 1% sex. No wonder she walked out at the offer of the couch in his office.

The five seconds we saw of her interacting with her dead mother really spoke volumes about her life. She is living a perfectly prescribed life of American aristocracy, and she is doing her duty as well as she can, but it's starting to chafe. Don chose her for that perfection and it's not satisfying for either of them. I think it's interesting that Don goes for such a completely different type in his affairs. At first I thought it was looks (dark hair) but I think the real attraction is intelligent women who know they are outside of polite social conventions. Women who know what they're doing, not playing simpering games.

So much was made of Conrad Hilton calling every few hours, I can't help but think they are setting us up for Betty getting a phone call in the middle of the night that Don isn't there to answer.

About Sal, I don't think the "you people" is inappropriate for the time period because he seemed to be faulting Sal for not sleeping with a client, not that it would have been a gay assignation. I think that is still somewhat shocking for the time and there's no way Sal would know it would be expected of him (say, if it were a female client). I feel for Sal - who wants to give into a bully?
    Last edited by hepcat; 10-14-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

This season it has become crystal clear that Peggy is right - her boss, Don, is a jerk.
    Were we supposed to think Conrad Hilton is crazy, with those moon comments etc? This show has so many peripherally weird and disturbing moments and off-the-wall non-sequitors that it feels a bit Twin Peaks-y at times.

Possible spoiler I stumbled across in the Vanity Fair article:

Click to see Spoiler:
    I know it has been discussed that Don's mother was a prostitute, but do we know where she is or what has happened to her? She may show up this season in one way or another. Unless that has already happened, and I missed it!

Something I have noticed about Don that doesn't seem to apply to the other men in the firm: he seems to keep his dalliances outside the office. You know....following the first rule of business. Don't *do* the help. Of course, he'll *do* anything else.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Don's mother was a prostitute who Don's father knocked up because he wouldn't spring for the condom. She died in childbirth, and that's why the midwife delivered the infant Don to his father and his father's wife. Some of that was implied last season, but they covered it again in the first episode of this season...and with the dry humor of naming him "Dick" for the shouts and curses his mother let out as she was dying. (Yeah, I've watched all the episodes a few bit too many times! ) However, given MM's proclivity for flash-backs to Don's past, it is possible his mother, father, and evil step mother could all pop up again. In fact, I'd bet on it because those flashbacks come when Don is in some weird mental state, and he's definitely getting deep in the stress.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3728066;
    Don's mother was a prostitute who Don's father knocked up because he wouldn't spring for the condom. She died in childbirth, and that's why the midwife delivered the infant Don to his father and his father's wife. Some of that was implied last season, but they covered it again in the first episode of this season...and with the dry humor of naming him "Dick" for the shouts and curses his mother let out as she was dying. (Yeah, I've watched all the episodes a few bit too many times! ) However, given MM's proclivity for flash-backs to Don's past, it is possible his mother, father, and evil step mother could all pop up again. In fact, I'd bet on it because those flashbacks come when Don is in some weird mental state, and he's definitely getting deep in the stress.
    I've seen every episode at least 3 times too, and still miss so much. MM is good.

You might be right on the money. I'm guessing.

+ Reply to Thread