+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 141 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474124 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

I really don't like Pete, esp. after night's episode, not that I was ever overly fond of him. He just comes across as someone who feels totally entitled to do / behave however he wants.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

This show is making me really want to flash forward 10 years and be well into the bra-burning movement. The scene with the au pair was chilling to me, and I guess the point of it was not that Pete is a monster, but that if you were a successful white male there really was no crime that would be pinned on you. The only consequence he would have to face is personal guilt, and he didn't even feel that until his neighbor told him he had spent the day supplying the girl with kleenex in a buddy-buddy way. Can you imagine, being that young, in a foreign country, your job is on the line...chilling. Pete didn't think he'd done anything wrong except cheat on his wife, and even that is her fault for being away for so long.

I think the only part of the episode I liked was seeing what the Italian Hilton's beauty salon did to Betty's hair. Don swooping in and picking her up was pretty cool. I can't remember another time I've seen Don and Betty actually act like they like each other in the entire series.

It can't last, of course. That's why Betty turned into megabitch again after her friend burst her bubble, talking about a magic getaway she'd had with her husband (and we all know that Francine and her husband are barely civil).

I can't decide if the flirtation with the older government guy is something Betty wants or not. I suspect from that since we saw date rape in another part of the episode, we are supposed to see her story in a parallel way. She's kind of forced into schmoozing him a little to get the reservoir issue in her favor, and could she really have avoided that kiss?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3718946;
    This show is making me really want to flash forward 10 years and be well into the bra-burning movement. The scene with the au pair was chilling to me, and I guess the point of it was not that Pete is a monster, but that if you were a successful white male there really was no crime that would be pinned on you. The only consequence he would have to face is personal guilt, and he didn't even feel that until his neighbor told him he had spent the day supplying the girl with kleenex in a buddy-buddy way. Can you imagine, being that young, in a foreign country, your job is on the line...chilling. Pete didn't think he'd done anything wrong except cheat on his wife, and even that is her fault for being away for so long.
    The smugness between the two men in that scene really made me ill. For the neighbor, the fact that Peter bullied his au pair into sleeping with him wasn't the issue at all; in fact, that sort of thing "was to be expected." More than likely the girl wanted to leave after the incident, and faced with the possibility of finding yet another au pair that his wife would actually like, he took matters into his own hands and confronted Pete.

Not from anger that he would take advantage of a young girl so far way from home and under his employ, of course. It was with annoyance because it was an inconvenience to his family. Other than that fact, he really wouldn't care.

In other news, SOMEONE needs to make a "Mad Men" line of dresses because I absolutely adored everything Betty wore in this episode!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I came away with the same point of view regarding the passing around of the au pair, Kao. And about the ladies' clothing - check out the Betty Page store (the store is in Vegas, but also on line) - I'd buy every piece of my wardrobe there if I had someplace to wear it. And could afford it!

I was looking at some old pictures the other night.
    My mom had almost the exact hairdo that Betty wore when she went out. She looked pretty hot, too.

I love the way Mad Men has replicated that era so well!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Guys, Jon Hamm is on Letterman tonight. Sorry for the short notice -- it starts in EST shortly. My sister just called to remind me. Maybe someone in another time zone might catch this post and want to tune in though.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fan

I watched it! He was really good, such a different person than Don Draper! I was a little disappointed that David Letterman didn't know more about the show though..

I sure hope we haven't seen the last of Sal.........

Don was such an insufferable bastard in last night's episode, all of the entitlement and none of the charm. Yuck.

+ Reply to Thread