+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 141 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;3712794;
    I can't believe no one's discussing last night's episode. Peggy totally shocked me! LOL
    I fell asleep in the middle, and woke up to see her in bed with Duck. I thought I was still dreaming at first. On many levels, that was more disturbing than the lawn mower incident from last week.

It always takes me a while to process Mad Men. It comes on so late I miss it half the time and have to catch it later.

All season we have seen Don being the good guy and I knew that couldn't last. A little pressure and he takes it out on Peggy, picks up teenagers and ends up drugged and beat up. It was very jarring to see Don so powerless, both in the hotel room but also put in his place by Cooper.

I know he's got these psychological reasons to not want to be tied down, but I'm with Betty. Three years. Does he really not know where he's going to be in three years?

Betty seems to be fighting the powerless theme, going to see a man she's attracted to by herself ("my friend couldn't make it", right) and buying her own counch against the advice of the designer. Peggy arguably did something that gave her a little more power, although - ewwww. DUCK. I was kind of surprised to see how fit Duck was under that shirt. EWW.

Don seems like he's at the start of a tailspin.

I really don't like the teacher. She seems a little crazy, talking about philandering in front of her school kids? I can see her claiming something happens when it doesn't. Don doesn't seem interested in her, for once.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Could someone explain about the teacher's presence? I might be just being a bit dense, but yesterday's episode ended on July 23rd--the date on the Don's contract. Are the kids in school still? My family members who were in school then had summers off, so is she running some kind of summer program?

I was shocked how all the young students, with large boxes on their heads, stood still for the entire time that Don and the teacher were talking.
    And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know ~ Kansas

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I totally agreed about the EWWWWW factor re: Peggy and Duck. Peggy is one character that just confuses me each week. As soon as I think I can predict her, she shows me how wrong I am. I often get why she does the things she does but still it's like "dang, woman, come on!".

Betty is another one. She's like all over the place... all the time.

And although i had noticed 7/23 was the date Don signed the contract, it didn't hit me until reading this thread that the kids are in school or in some kind of school program. I'm figuring it's summer-school because MW wouldn't miss that (just as I'm sure if I looked it up there was an eclipse visible in that area on the day they said... MW misses nothing! LOL).

Can someone explain just WHY Don is so against Roger? I have not missed an episode but it seems as though Don was initially holding a grudge against Roger for something specific... and then small things have added to that pile until now Don's told Burt he wants nothing to do with Roger. Help me out here, please.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Kao

Maybe I just have a deviant mind, but Ducky and Peggy together was repulsive and hot at the same time. He validated her and then some! :/

I did get a chuckle from Peggy last night to Pete (about the scarf): "I hope yours was a different color." I loved that whole scene as she kept looking at the scarf and you knew she was torn and realizing that she really wanted to keep it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;3712857;
    Can someone explain just WHY Don is so against Roger? I have not missed an episode but it seems as though Don was initially holding a grudge against Roger for something specific... and then small things have added to that pile until now Don's told Burt he wants nothing to do with Roger. Help me out here, please.
    Roger is supposed to be a generation older than Don. Roger's father was the one who was originally the partner on the letterhead, so perhaps to Don, Roger got where he was by having it handed to him. He appropriated Don's words and used them as a weapon against his wife when he left her for Don's secretary. Which is a point in itself - he was having a relationship with Don's secretary, who he probably considered his private property, and if nothing else - she was privy to some secrets he wouldn't want his partners to know. And then there was the time that Roger came on to Betty in his own kitchen. Hypocritical of Don to react so strongly, but since wife = property that was definitely poaching on his territory.

Overall, there is a theme of Roger being the drinking, swaggering type who has parties in the Hamptons and gets a young nubile girl without thinking of the consequences. Don has experienced life in a way Roger can't fathom, and it's not like Don/Dick can even throw that in his face since it's his biggest secret.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Finally got to see this week's episode.
    Duck and Peggy were interesting, to say the least. Not surprised to see Peggy having these liaisons. She is caught up in a "man's world" at this time and she's feeling her way around.
    I loved that fainting couch and the symbolism of the eclipse.
    And the soundtrack of Tennessee Ernie Ford's "16 Tons" at the end. How fitting after Don signed the contract that he now owes his soul.....
    Definitely the best show on TV, IMO.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Last night's episode seemed slower than usual. I'm kind of tired of the Conrad Hilton plot-line, so it better pay off big by the end of the season. There was hardly any office stuff at all (though I did want to see the water balloons filled with ketchup Pete motioned). They bring Joan in for that one tiny scene? That's not enough Joan-time. And Pete needs to keep his shirt on at all times.

+ Reply to Thread