+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 141 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Kao

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3701430;
    I love Mad Men, and Don Draper sure is dreamy. But I wonder, in the early 60's would that many women just throw themselves at a married man? I'm thinking about the stewardess, and the schoolteacher who called him at home. I know that men felt like they could hit on any woman they wanted, but I just can't imagine a women feeling the same freedom to do so.
    They sure did, and airline stewardess were notorious for it--freedom of having a job combined with being away from home (and gossiping mouths) meant a lot of freak-a-leak was going down. And unlike a lot of women of today who want to broadcast their sexual conquests, these ladies knew that discretion was the order of the day. Unfortunately, it put the stewardess who wasn't involved in such activities in a nasty spot, as men would hit on them constantly.

While there were a lot of women who weren't doing these things, the major difference between then and now is discretion (and a fear of getting pregnant, but if that happened and your family was well-off a discreet trip to Mexico was sceduled). The release of the pill opened up even more avenues for women as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3701430;
    I love Mad Men, and Don Draper sure is dreamy. But I wonder, in the early 60's would that many women just throw themselves at a married man? I'm thinking about the stewardess, and the schoolteacher who called him at home. I know that men felt like they could hit on any woman they wanted, but I just can't imagine a women feeling the same freedom to do so.
    I have a different take on it.
    I didn't really see the schoolteacher as trying to hit on Don. I think she had more empathy ( having lost her father when she was 8 ) than lust.
    I try to watch this show with my eyes from back then.
    I would say, however, that both women and men wre flirting / having sexual encounters, etc. They just kept it a lot more private than they do today.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I'm sure the teacher was coming on to Don. First, she was surprised that Betty showed up to the meeting; second she called the house to talk to Don. And third, just look at Don. No doubt he had women throwing themselves at him.

I'm confused about Duck's reappearance - I thought he killed himself at the end of last season. Was that not him at the desk with a gun? Even if it were, I guess he may not have followed through - since he rarely follows through with much anyway. Please, Peggy - don't go - huge mistake! Hopefully she can use the offer as leverage - although she tried and failed in this episode. Keep working at it, Peggy!

And about the baby. I was thinking last night how Betty named the baby Dick (they showed the birth certificate for a split second - then a smug smile on her face). That led me to remember the "vision" or "daydream" (or whatever it was) Don had while warming milk in the kitchen for Betty a few episodes ago. There was the wife who lost her baby during birth, and the midwife telling her God would provide. Then the prostitute getting pregnant and dying herself during childbirth - and the midwife naming the child Dick. She took baby Dick to the couple who lost their baby - as a gift.

Then we see the couple at the hospital who lost their child during birth, and Don and Betty's baby named Dick, and neither Don nor Betty seem the least bit happy with having a baby. More foreshadowing?

All I know is I don't know what is going to happen next, but I can't wait to find out.

(And Kao: freak-a-leak? I love that! )

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

The baby's name is Eugene Scott Draper.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3701298;
    the wife is still in hospital garb
    That's an important detail I missed. Yeah, it must have nothing to do with that baby and more about drunk regrets.

The baby is Eugene after Betty's father. Just one more reason I think Betty is going to lose it this season.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3703862;
    The baby's name is Eugene Scott Draper.

Akkk! Sorry about that - the names got mixed up somewhere between my brain and my fingers. Happens all the time.

Oprah Goes Back in Time: The '60s - Oprah.com

John Hamm and January Jones will be appearing on Oprah on Monday.

The whole episode will be 60s themed and the Mad Men costume designer (Jane Bryant, I guess) will be doing Oprah's wardrobe and the whole audience will be dressed in period attire.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Sweeet! Thanks!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Okay, I'm not going to spoil it for the west coasters (maybe more comments tomorrow) but I never, ever expected to see a cross-over between Mad Men and a The Soup intro to the Clip of the Week. I have never laughed so hard while Mad Men!

Huh? I understand. Are you referring to the tractor?

+ Reply to Thread