+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 141 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

I never saw Seaon 1 of Mad Men, as I just started watching last year.
    I did try and read a lot on the AMC site, as well as here, to get up to snuff with had transpired before.
    So, what I am confused about is this. Peggy and Pete obviously hooked up in Season 1. Why would Peggy do this? I have found Pete's character to be so arrogant and pompous and his repartee last night with the elevator operator just made me want to deck him, altogether.
    Was Peggy drunk out of her mind when she and Pete got together, or what? OK, I could see if Pete looked like Don Draper, but not only is he a smug ba*tar*, but he's a very funny looking one, too.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Taking a stab at it (because so many things in this show are deeper than they appear) - but it may have been because he was paying attention to her, which seems unlikely at the time. And from what we are seeing of her now, she's not exactly....well....chaste.

That's only my theory, however.

Thanks, JD, that could certainly make sense with her character.
    I guess I am just seeing Pete through My eyes and I find him so repugnant in all ways that I cannot imagine anyone being / wanting to be with him.

I was in and out but even the parts I saw really got to me. What a fantastic episode, but disturbing.

I laughed when Don arrived late to the meeting unapologetically, then swept out just as matter-of-factly when he realized the meeting was just about using too much paper and paper clips.

The birth hit a little too close too home. Having heard from female relatives about being put out to give birth, or not having any control or say about your labor - it was a bit chilling to me. I really felt for Betty when she was insisting on her own doctor and her concerns were just shushed away with annoyance. GAH that just gets to me.

The dream/drugged up vision gave me chills when she saw her mom, and the first thing she said was "Close your mouth, you'll catch flies!" and Betty just pops her mouth closed without a peep. You could see Betty's entire childhood encapsulated in that one moment. Medgar Evers bleeding at the table was a surreal moment but seemed to make it more real, like she was actually conversing with ghosts, not just the ones in her head.

I think what really got to me was the end, though, starting with the security guard leaving and giving Don a look, then you realize he is wheeling his wife out without a baby. Is it just me, or was that to mean that their baby did not survive? Sometimes this show is too subtle, but I think it was supposed to mean that, especially with Peggy later fingering the baby gift she got Don and saying he had everything, too much of everything. He had a baby he didn't even want, and he's surrounded by blessings, and he's really f-d it up until this point. Maybe it will be a fresh new beginning for him. If that teacher can keep her claws out of him.

Edit: Oh, and DUCK freaking DUCK is back?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Oh, okay...I couldn't figure out why, when Betty heard the baby crying in the night, she got up, but just stood there. They just leave us guessing so much! I love it so much - and it drives me crazy at the same time.

I do remember the stories my mom used to tell about what it was like having babies in the 50s and early 60s - and it was much more harsh than they even showed last night. And Betty asking if her doctor was drunk? Can you even imagine? It was so sad when she didn't believe Don was really there - that he was never where he said he was.

I watched it twice in a row last night - and will be watching again On Demand. I can't help it, it's that great of a show.

I think that was a little foreshadowing of Post Partum Depression. I hope not.

About Pete and Peggy, I really recommend digging up the first season on Netflix. She is really not the same person she was at the beginning of the series. My take on their initial hookup was that she was in this exciting new life - working girl in Manhattan - and all the other girls seemed to have this life, and she wanted to embrace that. I'm pretty sure she wasn't a virgin with Pete, although it was clear she didn't have a lot of experience. Meanwhile, Pete was seeing all the guys around him that he looked up to dabble with women easily, and he was engaged, so it was sort of a cold feet, last fling sort of thing with him. Peggy wanted more but he was so cold to her that you could see the process of her hardening her heart and moving on with her focus on her career.

One thing that didn't ring right to me was Pete's reaction to the Admiral account. It's good to see he's not a "bigot" in the terms of those times, but at the same time, wasn't specifically targeting a Black audience pretty forward thinking for advertising? Admiral's reaction was about what I'd expect, but Pete seemed naive about their response.

I had to laugh at the exchange (paraphrased):

Admiral: So you'd be making us two ads then, one white, one black.
    Pete: No, just one ad. They'd be integrated.
    Admiral: That's illegal!
    Pete: No, it isn't.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

It could have been that the jail warden's baby was a preemie / or some such and was being kept at the hospital until he was well enough to be released. That was common back then.
    I remember when I was real little and about to have my tonsils out. My mother asked me about my Doctor afterward and I happened to mention that I saw him and he said goodbye to me, prior to my surgery. So, it happened a lot that doctors didn't do the surgeries or were off somewhere or whatever.
    I loved the last scene with Betty getting up upon hearing the screaming baby. It so clearly showed the dichotomy she was feeling. Women didn't have all that many choices in life back then. You couldn't just turn to your husband and say, "Ok, your turn now." That was pretty unheard of back then. Betty's not always very happy with her life and I think the whole dream sequence gave us a lot of glimpses into her internal workings / thoughts. January Jones is so like the heroines from the 60's movies - esp. those from Hitchcock - that it's very easy for some to say she's just a pretty face. I think she so embodies the time period that it's uncanny and certainly shows that she's a lot more of an actress than just a beautiful woman.
    I loved the scene with Sally in the kitchen and I also loved the one in the hospital waiting room where Don was talking to the other father. It's easy for people to dislike Don, but its these scenes that give us empathy for his character and flesh him out as a real human being.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 09-14-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3700986;
    I think what really got to me was the end, though, starting with the security guard leaving and giving Don a look, then you realize he is wheeling his wife out without a baby. Is it just me, or was that to mean that their baby did not survive?
    This scene caught me as odd too--there were too many options for what it meant. I re-watched* the episode tonight, and as Don's walking down the hall toward the prison guard, before he catches Don's eye, the guard and his wife are sharing a smile/happy moment--it is just a split second, and I missed it on the first watching. I think they're on the way to the nursery or something, since the wife is still in hospital garb. I think the weird look from the prison guard has more to do with his drunken (and probably regretted) revelations that he is now going to be a better man for his child. Or it could be something to do with the cold light of day hitting their class differences. Or both. Eh, maybe it's that Don drank half the Johnny Walker Red.

Other than that, all I want to say is I need more Joan screen time and Elizabeth Moss is a fantastic actress.

*Yes, I re-watch the episodes. I'm a hard-core Mad Men addict.

ETA: I loved the musical cue of Betty's fantasy...the light music that accompanied her drug-induced walks. And then it was in the final scene as she went to check on the baby. It poses the question of whether she wants to live in a dream world, or her dream world has become a freaky nightmare with Medgar Evers bleeding out at her kitchen table.
    Last edited by PhoneGrrrl; 09-14-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Kao

At the end when Betty stops before seeing to the crying baby, the shadows of the blinds on her back look like prison bars. Poor Betty.

I love Mad Men, and Don Draper sure is dreamy. But I wonder, in the early 60's would that many women just throw themselves at a married man? I'm thinking about the stewardess, and the schoolteacher who called him at home. I know that men felt like they could hit on any woman they wanted, but I just can't imagine a women feeling the same freedom to do so.

+ Reply to Thread