+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 141 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Premium Member

Re: Mad Men

I've watched three episodes so far (went ahead and started recording them when the show started even though I wasn't sure if I'd end up following the series) and it's been fairly interesting.

I'm with PG-13, however, in saying I don't really care for what happens to any of the characters. Maybe that will change by the sixth episode I watch, but so far, I've never been sympathetic with people who cheat on their significant others, which seems to rule out all the male characters on the show.

I liked the first two episodes with the subtle differences in eras of then and now, but with the most recent episode I watched, they could not have possibly thrown in any more politically incorrect references if they tried, it was just so over done.

And as much as I realize how women in the workplace were treated back in 1960, makes me uncomfortable watching it each episode, I feel so bad for them! At least they should keep the show going until they hit 1970 or something and women get some rights and have a voice so I can feel better about going into the office again, hehe.

Overall, though, I notice I tend to share opinions with viewers about programs, rather than critics, and all the hype I am hearing is still from critics and not from anyone I know who is still watching it. (Most friends were excited to see the premiere, due to all the good things that were being said in the press, but it didn't live up to their expectations.) I'll watch the other episodes I have recorded, however, and see if I can start caring about any of the characters.

Unfortunately, I just started watching this yesterday during the middle of the marathon (a lack of anything else to watch on Labor Day). I was intrigued and wish I had seen it from the beginning. I graduated from high school in 1961 and started working in an office a few years later, so I can relate. Sexual harrassment was an everyday occurrence, women were rarely promoted (except to "executive secretary"), nearly everyone smoked, and political correctness was unheard of. The only thing I would take exception to is the clothes women wore to do housework. No one I knew wore a dress to clean house - that was more 50's not 60's.

IMO the actor playing the lead role is a hunk. I don't remember ever seeing him before, but hopefully I'll see him again. He is doing a very credible job as a brilliant, egotistical, and ruthlessly ambitious executive with some deep seated hangups. Is his pretty, vacuous wife really as clueless about his indiscretions as she seems?

Now I'm hooked on this show.

I just read here that "Mad Men" has been renewed for another season. Yay!! Having grown up during the 1960's, I am looking forward to further seeing how they handle social/cultural issues of that decade. Thus far, I think that the show has been on-point. And, on a side note, I now think that Jon Hamm is one of the hottest guys on TV today ...hee.

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by catwoman1955;2578863;
    I just read here that "Mad Men" has been renewed for another season. Yay!! Having grown up during the 1960's, I am looking forward to further seeing how they handle social/cultural issues of that decade. Thus far, I think that the show has been on-point. And, on a side note, I now think that Jon Hamm is one of the hottest guys on TV today ...hee.

Cat
    Yes, I am so glad they are having another season -- can't wait to see what they do with their "surprise ending" (the ambitious secretary/copywriter had a baby and she hadn't even known she was pregnant! And the father is obviously that sleazy guy from the office!)

These had been sitting on my DVR for a while and I just finished watching them. Hubby wandered in and asked if that actress was pregnant because she had gotten so big but her character wasn't pregnant -- and 10 seconds later there she was having a baby, lol!

Plus they let us in on the mystery of Don Draper's name change.

Who are your other favorite actors/actresses on that show, besides the main guy? The one who plays his wife really impressed me during that episode where she shoots the neighbors pigeons. The look on her face! And I like the red-haired secretary too.

Wow, this is a pretty big BUMP!

AMC has announced that season 2 of Mad Men begins July 27th! The Sunday NY Times Magazine had a fab article about the show and its creator, Matthew Weiner: 'Mad Men' Has Its Moment

I got so ridiculously hooked on this show. I'll be buying season 1 on DVD when it's released on July 1st That will tide me over until the new season starts. I can't wait to see what happened with Peggy's baby and Don's marriage. Plus, is Sterling still alive and, if so, is he catting around with Joan again or did his heart attack turn him faithful?

Anyone else counting the days until the new season starts?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I am now looking forward to it! My mother lent me the box set, and I've watched the first two episodes and I like what I've seen...

I'm now sorry that I read this thread because I just read what looks like a major spoiler to the end of the season that I saw uhh... taking seed... Not to mention the name change that I don't even know about yet, I think I've pretty much figured it out from the first episode... Don't tell me!
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

I watched the marathon AMC had yesterday, minus the first 4 episode, and I really enjoyed it and can't wait for next Sunday.

Weird question but did they ever say how old Peggy was? I know living in the 60's versus today is totally different... but she really didn't know she was pregnant?? I noticed her looking/appearing thicker as the episodes went by. That baby storyline was a shocker!

I watched the marathon yesterday too (I'd never watched the show before), and I could possibly get hooked on it. But while I agree that the production design and the tone is very authentic and amazing, I'm not sure I see yet why this show is so universally acclaimed. It's very well made, but is it really "about" anything special or dramatic? The intrigue about Don's past is interesting, but the style/tone of the show is so muted, it's hard to get sucked into anything.

It would be interesting to see the show grow a wilder, more bizarre tone, not quite Twin Peaks bizarre but in that ballpark. The Don storyline is headed down that path anyway, might as well have the rest of the characters follow him down...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread