+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 141 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

The little girl who plays Sally was absolutely brilliant last night. And, so was January Jones who, to me, is underrated. She so embodies Betty Draper that it's almost uncanny. At least, we have found out a lot more about her early years - having to walk / run from school - because her mother felt she was too chunky. And, you had to feel some pain for Peggy's mom. First, she loses the Pope, then her TV and then her daughter announces she's leaving the borough to move to the big bad city of Manhattan! And, Don getting on Betty's Dad for the war remembrances. Who would have ever thought Don could be the "moral" compass for the show. I cannot applaud this show enough for its accuracy and poignancy. Just stunning in all ways.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I really REALLY loved it when Peggy's sister said to her "oh... you're going to become one of THOSE girls" and Peggy replied "I already am". You go, Peggy!!! love to see the growth of this character.

And when Sally was "hysterical" about the death of her grandfather, did Betty do a thing? Nope, just told her to stop it and go watch tv. Yeah, Sally's on the road to nowhere... and when she arrives her mother will never, NEVER understand how it happened. Talk about self-absorbed.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Fogey

I'm sure this isn't a spoiler, but rather an observation. The actor who plays Sal (Bryan Batt) did an interview on our local radio station shortly before the season began. The hosts asked if Sal's character would be coming out of the closet this season. Of course the actors don't know the storyline much before the viewers do, but the actor believes it would be a disaster for Sal to come out - given the times. Bratt (and others) think it would ruin Sal's career, and possibly his life (i.e., his marriage).
    This show has done such a stellar job of maintaining historical accuracy for the time period, I would have been surprised if Sal had been "outed." While Kitty may have made the connection, it would have been typical for a wife in the early '60s not to confront her spouse about being gay, and perhaps even blame herself ("what did I do to make him that way??"). And Bratt is correct that in 1963, a gay man outing himself would be career suicide and probably destroy his relationship with his family. It will be interesting to see how this dynamic plays out between Kitty and Sal, now that it appears she at least suspects the reason for their lack of intimacy.

The article in September's Vanity Fair magazine is fascinating - it tells all about the creator of the show, the hows and whys of every scene.
    Thanks for mentioning this--I'll enjoy reading it!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;3694915;
    I really REALLY loved it when Peggy's sister said to her "oh... you're going to become one of THOSE girls" and Peggy replied "I already am". You go, Peggy!!! love to see the growth of this character.

And when Sally was "hysterical" about the death of her grandfather, did Betty do a thing? Nope, just told her to stop it and go watch tv. Yeah, Sally's on the road to nowhere... and when she arrives her mother will never, NEVER understand how it happened. Talk about self-absorbed.
    I swear I was raised by Betty. Her reactions to Sally are nearly identical to my mom's. And most of the other moms I knew. We were never allowed to participate in, or even be around, "adult" conversation (i.e., money issues, politics or even harmless chit-chat) - everything was "go watch tv". Looking back on it through this show makes me wince. It also helps me encourage my daughter to turn her tv off now and then and talk with her kids.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3696063;
    I swear I was raised by Betty. Her reactions to Sally are nearly identical to my mom's. And most of the other moms I knew. We were never allowed to participate in, or even be around, "adult" conversation (i.e., money issues, politics or even harmless chit-chat) - everything was "go watch tv". {snip}
    You too, huh? Yeah, I am about 10 yrs younger than Sally was in that time period but that kind of parenting hung around.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

There is a very good, thorough article on Mad Men online at Vanity Fair, September, as well as interviews and Annie Leibowitz photos.
    Bruce Handy on Mad Men | vanityfair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3699145;
    There is a very good, thorough article on Mad Men online at Vanity Fair, September, as well as interviews and Annie Leibowitz photos.
    Bruce Handy on Mad Men | vanityfair.com
    I read the mgazine yesterday. It, and the pictures, was great.

I just realized that I missed last weeks episode (while on a trip). Thought that I could watch it "On Demand". Time Warner doesn't seem to have it. They had it last season, WHAT UP? Is it hidden in some secret place? I'm in So Cal (if that makes a difference).. How could Time Warner do this to me? Wah-wah-wah ):

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3699529;
    I just realized that I missed last weeks episode (while on a trip). Thought that I could watch it "On Demand". Time Warner doesn't seem to have it. They had it last season, WHAT UP? Is it hidden in some secret place? I'm in So Cal (if that makes a difference).. How could Time Warner do this to me? Wah-wah-wah ):
    Oh, I'm sorry. I know it's on my Comcast On Demand here (Utah) - since I watch it all the time - especially after reading the Vanity Fair article, I like to go back and check every minute (OCD) detail of every episode. I can't believe they can produce that show with such a piddly budget. Although a lot of women I know (especially me) would work for free just to be next to Jon Hamm/Don Draper. *swoon*

I have to agree with the critics who say it's the best show on television. Love it - and can't wait for tonight's episode. I sure wish the seasons were longer.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3699529;
    Time Warner suck*, doesn't it?
    I'm pretty sure you can watch it online, though, on AMC TV.
    It was my favorite episode, so far, of this season.

+ Reply to Thread