+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 141 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3687938;
    The official site (AMC » Mad Men Official Site) has really comprehensive episode summaries in the Episode Guide section.

What character does he play?
    As I indicated above, Don Draper is the main protagonist, so well played by Jon Hamm.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3687961;
    As I indicated above, Don Draper is the main protagonist, so well played by Jon Hamm.

The question being asked was what role does the sister's college roommate's bf play on the show. Is that what you were answering?

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3686811;

Peggy stoned was hilarious. "I am so high." What's up with her secretary? I think she's acting more like a mother than an employee. She'd never behave that way if her boss was a man.
    That's because a man wouldn't have as much to lose as Peggy did in that time.

One of the things I appreciate the most about this show is that it doesn't hold back. I think as the more generations we are removed from the Civil and Women's Rights movement the more people forget just how hard it was for people who weren't White and Male in this country. What her secretary was telling her was essentially "You rose up from the secretary pool. You have an office, more money, and more respect. Don't mess this up for yourself, or for the women who will come after you" because more than likely Peggy would be judged far more harshly than Paul if caught.

What I love about this show is its subtleness. All these people are like layers, and each episode has a theme. I thought it was pretty telling when Grandpa had his granddaughter read the passage in the book that had to deal with people who count on money when they have absolutely nothing else at all was pretty telling, as his last line about "everything going to hell after this." Everyone has what they THINK they want, but it's not quite in the way they want it. The only person who seems to know who they are, what they want and what makes them happy is Peggy. Joan's beginning to think she backed a losing horse with her surgeon fellow. Don's beginning to realize that after scrambling to the top the view isn't that great, and no matter how amoral he is on certain things he would never publicly humiliate his wife and family the way Roger did. Jane's beginning to realize that while she might have bought a ticket to see the way the other half lives she'll never truly be a part of that world. Carla (once in the background) is coming more and more to the foreground; letting Gene know that she's simply not going to put up with certain things.

Also, A+ for Peggy smoking up all the weed and leaving, lol!

The ending scene with Roger dancing with Jane at the end of the party was brilliant. Unlike Don seeking Betty out in the grove and dancing with her like he's finally realizing just how blessed he is and how close he came to losing her, Roger's dance with Jane had a quiet desperation to it that was both touching and sad. You could tell that Don's comment about "everyone thinking he was a fool" cut him to the core. He KNOWS he didn't make the greatest decision, but he's going to hang on to the bitter end because he's stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3688007;
    That's because a man wouldn't have as much to lose as Peggy did in that time.

One of the things I appreciate the most about this show is that it doesn't hold back. I think as the more generations we are removed from the Civil and Women's Rights movement the more people forget just how hard it was for people who weren't White and Male in this country. What her secretary was telling her was essentially "You rose up from the secretary pool. You have an office, more money, and more respect. Don't mess this up for yourself, or for the women who will come after you" because more than likely Peggy would be judged far more harshly than Paul if caught.

What I love about this show is its subtleness. All these people are like layers, and each episode has a theme. I thought it was pretty telling when Grandpa had his granddaughter read the passage in the book that had to deal with people who count on money when they have absolutely nothing else at all was pretty telling, as his last line about "everything going to hell after this." Everyone has what they THINK they want, but it's not quite in the way they want it. The only person who seems to know who they are, what they want and what makes them happy is Peggy. Joan's beginning to think she backed a losing horse with her surgeon fellow. Don's beginning to realize that after scrambling to the top the view isn't that great, and no matter how amoral he is on certain things he would never publicly humiliate his wife and family the way Roger did. Jane's beginning to realize that while she might have bought a ticket to see the way the other half lives she'll never truly be a part of that world. Carla (once in the background) is coming more and more to the foreground; letting Gene know that she's simply not going to put up with certain things.

Also, A+ for Peggy smoking up all the weed and leaving, lol!

The ending scene with Roger dancing with Jane at the end of the party was brilliant. Unlike Don seeking Betty out in the grove and dancing with her like he's finally realizing just how blessed he is and how close he came to losing her, Roger's dance with Jane had a quiet desperation to it that was both touching and sad. You could tell that Don's comment about "everyone thinking he was a fool" cut him to the core. He KNOWS he didn't make the greatest decision, but he's going to hang on to the bitter end because he's stuck.
    Great observations! Loved the part about Peggy smoking the weed and leaving. Yes, Peggy does seem to be the only one to knows what makes them happy and she's not afraid to do it. I love that she approaches thinks like an experiment. She tried out the bar to see if the lines that Joan used (in the office) could work for her. She uses it in her private life and at work. She's trying to figure things out and it's so much fun to watch. It's impossible to predict what will happen next. I'm in my own little "Mad Men" world while watching it. I want to hear every word and see every little thing and then watch the encore. It's such a fantastic show!
    Last edited by tvaholic; 09-03-2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: change word

My heart broke for Kitty -- now she knows that Sal is gay & has no hope for the happy marriage he promised. And I'm sad for him, of course, stuck in a time & place where he can never be himself. I take it as a good sign that Don knows that Sal is gay & that by giving him the chance to direct that awful commercial, Sal will have a career where he can succeed & be more accepted.

Such good acting, I just have to watch it again for what I'm sure I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;3693115;
    My heart broke for Kitty -- now she knows that Sal is gay & has no hope for the happy marriage he promised. And I'm sad for him, of course, stuck in a time & place where he can never be himself. I take it as a good sign that Don knows that Sal is gay & that by giving him the chance to direct that awful commercial, Sal will have a career where he can succeed & be more accepted.

She was terrific in that scene. The changes in her expression were so subtle that he probably didn't notice. I feel sorry for both of them. Neither of them will be fulfilled in that marriage. I think Don sees Sal as a kindred spirit in a way - they're both hiding their true selves from the world.

I'm glad Betty's father passed, even though that sounds heartless. His interactions with the kids were getting more and more troubling. How long before Sally turns into the Bad Seed?

There was just not enough Joan in this episode!

During the Patio meeting when the client was saying the commercial was just not right, but he couldn't put his finger on it, I said "It's because it's not Ann-Margret!" Then Roger said the same thing!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

In a way I'm glad Grandpa Gene is gone too; I haven't had that much nervous cringing--at Sally's driving and Bobby's playing with the WWI helmet--outside of watching a horror movie. OTOH, what I did love about him was the way he encouraged Sally in ways her parents, especially Betty, does not. Don might, but he's just not around enough. I particularly loved him telling her not to listen to her mother and that she can do what she wants to when she grows up. But yeah, she may just become Wild Sally before the series has its full run.

Poor Kitty--that realization of Sal's true reason for intimacy disinterest was really heartbreaking. Poor gal. And poor Sal. I hope in the final season, road he's somehow involved in Stonewall.

Sometimes I think I identify too much with Peggy; her conversation with her mother about moving to Manhattan rang so true on the Catholic-guilt level. Still, though, three seasons in and she's still looking to Joan for advice. Although, I half-expected Joan to become her roommate and chuck Dr. Rape.

This was my favorite episode so far this season, even though there wasn't enough Jane or Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;3693115;

I missed a big part of that scene. How did she know that Sal was gay?
    TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

How did she know that Sal was gay?
    For me, it was the way Kitty's expression changed as she watched Sal perform the commercial, and her expression afterward as they held each on the bed. Of course, that's just a perception on my part as the viewer since there was no verbal exchange to confirm what Kitty was thinking.

[Peggy's] conversation with her mother about moving to Manhattan rang so true on the Catholic-guilt level.
    I'm not Catholic, but that conversation was very similar to the one I had with my mom when I moved away from home to another city. Although it was 10 years later than the time of this episode, there was still the perception that a single woman should live at home until she married, and those who chose to leave their neighborhood for another city to live on their own were just "one step from the streets!" Peggy's mom is the Swedish version of Livia Soprano!

The Patio commercial was cringe-worthy, and I loved Peggy's little "told you so" smile at Don as everyone left the presentation.

How long before Sally turns into the Bad Seed?
    No kidding. Based on next week's preview of the Drapers' meeting with Sally's teacher, she's on that trajectory. She's lost the only person who spent time with her, new baby will take away the little time she had with her parents, lots of anger and resentment building.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I'm sure this isn't a spoiler, but rather an observation. The actor who plays Sal (Bryan Batt) did an interview on our local radio station shortly before the season began. The hosts asked if Sal's character would be coming out of the closet this season. Of course the actors don't know the storyline much before the viewers do, but the actor believes it would be a disaster for Sal to come out - given the times. Bratt (and others) think it would ruin Sal's career, and possibly his life (i.e., his marriage). So for now I'm going to assume his sexuality will remain a secret.

I loved the scene where Don and Sal were flying home from Baltimore and Don turns to Sal (scaring Sal to pieces!), pitching an idea. The idea ended with "limit your exposure". Maybe I read too much into it, then again, nothing on this show is an accident. (As an aside, I thought that was a terrible idea for a London Fog ad, but what do I know....) I also feel bad for Kitty - although their marriage may remain intact. Who knows.

I, too, loved the smirk on Peggy's face when the client hated the Bye Bye Birdie ad. I see the working relationship beween Peggy and Don growing. Possibly a personal one, too. Peggy is soooo the opposite of Betty. (Is that maybe why Pete is so in love with her, too?)

So much going on this season - I keep watching every episode several times, just so I don't miss something. Which I always do. I want to add that I loved Joan's "act" at the party. I had no idea she could be so....charming and talented. It was just so sweet, yet sexy.

The article in September's Vanity Fair magazine is fascinating - it tells all about the creator of the show, the hows and whys of every scene. Very insightful.

And for those who say this is the best show on television - I heartily agree.
    Last edited by J.D.; 09-08-2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: more things to ramble about

+ Reply to Thread