+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 141 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3678834;
    I just finished watching the show and at first I thought Don had a little thing for the teacher but when the film went to slow motion and he started stroking the grass I thought he was getting an idea for the Patio account more along the lines of what Peggy suggested, something free and ethereal which is why he stopped and looked at her strangely when he came back to the office the next day. He may be realizing that her instincts are right on this account. I'm probably totally off base but I'm kind of hoping thats what it is. As far as an affair between Don and the teacher... well, I wouldn't rule that out either LOL

As far as the Father in law coming to live with them, I think that was Don trying to make his wife happy (gawd she annoys they hell out of me, she's whiney and demanding and I hate the way she talks to the kids) and his ulterior motives will come to light, something underhanded like the brother was up to. On the other hand he could have taken the old man in because his father was such a sack of crap, this is the closest he's had to a father.
    Duxxy!

I also considered Don's feeling the grass as a sign of him missing the California relaxed lifestyle. I didn't go so far as to relate it to Patio. Good eye! I also hope Don is realizing Peggy's potential. Geesh - it's practically painful watching her as the only female in those meetings.

Good point on Don's motives for moving Dad in with them.

I love this show.

Hi JD! I haven't seen you in so long! i don't know if I love this show so much, there are a lot of ins and outs but I find it really slow and there's much that is lost on me.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Who is John Galt?

One of my three favorite summer shows (along with True Blood and Jackie). The Don character and Jon Hamm's characterization of him is fascinating. Of course, IMO Hamm is one of the sexiest and manliest men on TV (be still my heart). Don is very complex and I don't agree with one of mag critics thinking he is a sociopath. His wife is so mentally screwed up, with little or no personality. I almost can't blame him for cheating. The show can seem slow at times for those who like more action, but that is it's appeal. I think it is more subtle than slow. Every nuance has meaning. I was 19 and working at an office during this time frame. It was just like it is portrayed on the show, except a little less formal because it was in L.A. and not New York. But, everyone smoked and drank. The execs chased the pretty girls. Most of the men cheated. And, very few women could rise above secretary. I am so glad it is not like that anymore, but I enjoy the show and enjoy seeing how close they followed reality to that time frame in history.

Loved Sunday's episode. There was just so much going on.
    Joan having to play the accordion and sing for her husband's colleagues and wives; Pete and wife doing what looks to be a very well rehearsed Charleston; Don mixing / sharing drinks with Conrad Hilton; Betty having her stomach fondled by an overly ardent admirer; Peggy trying pot; Betty's father having his money stolen by Betty / Don's daughter.
    I like the fact that this show is so subtle. I just love to savor it and its nuances.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I forgot about that Charleston! With that one little scene, we got a whole new insight into Pete. Just another example of why I love this show.

Peggy stoned was hilarious. "I am so high." What's up with her secretary? I think she's acting more like a mother than an employee. She'd never behave that way if her boss was a man.

This Joan story line isn't going anywhere good. That man is a slime. I love Joan, so I want her to be happy and away from him.

Nice little romantic ending too with Don and Betty dancing in the garden.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3686811;
    I forgot about that Charleston! With that one little scene, we got a whole new insight into Pete. Just another example of why I love this show.

Peggy stoned was hilarious. "I am so high." What's up with her secretary? I think she's acting more like a mother than an employee. She'd never behave that way if her boss was a man.

This Joan story line isn't going anywhere good. That man is a slime. I love Joan, so I want her to be happy and away from him.

Nice little romantic ending too with Don and Betty dancing in the garden.

The secretary was pretty accurate. Not many women were in positions like Peggy's, so she is just being protective of her. It's also very interesting that Peggy would pick just about the oldest secretary in the firm to be hers.
    Joan should have never married him - esp. after what he did to her last season. But, it was obvious she desperately wanted to be married and to a doctor. She thought she was improving her lot in life, but it appears he's the one improving his.

and how about her older female guest?? she really did all she could to make things sound as dire as possible. I feel sorry for Joan even if she did make her bed.
    The scene that killed me was the nerdy TV guy with the glasses and his wife walking to Don's table, sure that they would be welcomed only to stand there awkwardly. How's that for class seperation? lol
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Guys, I have a really weird request. Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of what's been going on w/ Mad Men this season? My sister's college roommate’s bf is on the show and I'm going to be seeing them and want to try and hide the fact that I don't really watch it.

I have the dvds for the first 2 seasons & have tried to watch but the inherent sexism of the show gets to me every time even though I know it's historically appropriate & the show is critically acclaimed. Can anyone give me a few plot points so I can not hurt their feelings? I know it's a great show & promise to acclimate myself to it soon. Thanks.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3687910;
    Guys, I have a really weird request. Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of what's been going on w/ Mad Men this season? My sister's college roommate’s bf is on the show and I'm going to be seeing them and want to try and hide the fact that I don't really watch it.

I have the dvds for the first 2 seasons & have tried to watch but the inherent sexism of the show gets to me every time even though I know it's historically appropriate & the show is critically acclaimed. Can anyone give me a few plot points so I can not hurt their feelings? I know it's a great show & promise to acclimate myself to it soon. Thanks.
    Chris,

Your best bet is probably to go onto the Mad Men site which is on AMC TV, the station that plays it.
    Don Draper is the main protagonist and the one everybody talks about. So, there will be a whole lot of information on him there, as there should be. The show is extremely subtle and nuanced and pretty darn accurate. It does, however, move very slowly and there are many who do NOT like it for that reason and feel it is not worth the accolades it gets.

The official site (AMC » Mad Men Official Site) has really comprehensive episode summaries in the Episode Guide section.

What character does he play?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread