+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

We had a Burger Chef in my home town while I was growing up. If I remember correctly, they were kind of a Frisches knock off, but the burgers were ok. I remember their mascots were Burger Chef and Jeff. The one in my town went out of business in the late 70's.
    Freddy Rumsen is in AA. He started going to meetings after the "wet pants" incident when he was let go from the agency.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

After last week's slow burn, tonight's episode seemed to move quite apace. First, Don/Stephanie/Megan...As I recall, Stephanie kinda made moves on Don, but he turned her down a couple of seasons back. Don does think of her as his "niece" and genuinely wants to help her. As I said upthread, Don's only good relationship with a woman was with Anna, and that would translate down to Stephanie in Anna's honor. He's shown he isn't that much of an ass to hit on Stephanie. Megan was a bit of a bitch to Stephanie by shooing her out, but OTOH, $1,000 in 1969 is nothing to sneeze at. Throwing money at the problem is SUCH a Draper move.

Second, Don/Megan/the redheaded friend....I'm just glad it wasn't on premium cable.

Third, Don/Harry...that was quite a scene. Harry always overestimates his importance, and I know the character has always been not such a good guy (always cheating, for one instance) but that damn Rich Sommer comes off IRL as a nice fellow, so I have a soft spot for Harry. I liked that Harry imagined more of a long term connection with Don than Don believes they have. It lead to that meeting at the end that must have ended quite quickly after Don's appearance, since they were all catching cabs at the same time, or within minutes of coming down from the meeting.

Fourth, Henry, STFU. No, don't STFU, talk to Betty. I just watched a rerun of when Henry helped out Betty et al about the reservoir issue. Clearly, she has some thoughts in her head, so see what she's thinking. Maybe she's altogether wrong, like threatening to break Sally's arm. But if I were equated to a 14 year old girl as in "Girls stop!", I'd be going after Henry. Verbally, of course.

Finally, ohmygawd, Peggy and Michael. First there was more of the "2001" reference with Michael spying Cutler and Avery in the computer room. Then there was the revelation that Peggy was having Friday night TV "date" with her kid neighbor (kinda sweet and sad for her). Then there was the "you were dead, then you were alive" (paraphrasing) by Michael while Peggy was asleep. So much to unpack in all of that. But the office exchange, when Michael "gifted" Peggy with his nipple...well that turned problematic for me. Physical injury has played funny/awkward on this show before, such as the lawnmower incident and when Peggy accidentally stabbed Abe. I hope that it wasn't intended for comic relief, because Michael exhibited symptoms of mental illness. Giving the show the benefit of the doubt, I'm concluding it didn't mean to be comic relief because Peggy was crying and Stan rode with him in the ambulance.

On a comical note, since MM is ending as well as Parks & Rec, how fun would it be to have a "Ron Swanson" and "Stan Rizzo" sort of bearded men who are oddly hot spin off?

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

This was a weird episode, to say the least. First, the visit from Anna Draper's niece. I think Megan didn't like it when she said that she knew "all of Don's secrets" and maybe a little jealous of her, which was a reason to rush her out.

Also, did anyone notice how Lou said, "I'm gonna tuck you in tonight" when he kept him working late, and then the next night Megan's friend says the same thing to him, before the threesome ensued?

The whole Ginsberg storyline was beyond weird, and I don't know what to make of it. But the scene in Peggys office was certainly memorable, if that's what they were going for!

With all the talk of the show killing Megan off by a crazed Manson killer in her off the beaten track home, the alarm bells were ringing when pregnant Stephanie showed up! It was relief to see her leave in one piece. I hope we see her and the baby at some point.
    Even before Megan and Amy came onto Don in the bedroom, there was a strong vibe that they have been involved. Megan seemed very upset when Don left the next morning. I hope she didnt think that trying a threesome would make Don want to stay closer to her.
    When you think of it, Peggy was in a very vulnerable position falling asleep with Ginsberg in the room! I thought he was going to try and destroy the computer--not hurt himself.
    Very odd that both Lou and Megan's friend used the same term to Don.

Well it was nice to see Don really snap into action. And as Jim Cutler quipped, "And you think this makes everything alright." I don't know, but if they got that tobacco account, it went along way towards doing so. When he gets his act together, Don can bring on the magic.

I'm sick of Weiner trying to bring in Sharon Tate type images. Now we have a pregnant blonde lady. Did you catch what Stephanie said about her boyfriend killing someone to stay in jail? I've had enough of the fake Manson/Tate stuff. It no longer amuses me.

I was curious as to why the sudden change in Megan regarding Stephanie. As PhoneGrrrl state upthread, it seemed to jump out when Stephanie commented that she knew all of Don's secrets. That's true, but also, I didn't think the story of Stephanie's loser, criminal, baby's daddy helped either. It sounded like it might set up Megan's love pad into more of a nursery. And I the way Megan bristled at Stephanie's comment about her having kids. Megan said, Don's kids were enough for her. What bothered me the most was that Stephanie seemed to have NOT cashed that check, later when she called. She was in a worse part of town than the first time she called. Apparently, she hadn't cashed the check and didn't have any money. That's her fault. Yes, she felt put off by Megan, though she hid it from Don, but she should use the money because it's her kid's health at stake. I have no sympathy for her due to that. And Stephanie mentioned her mother. Why not go to her mom's?

Michael has been shown to suffer from mental illness for a long time, yet it was ignored. IMO, that's how many people deal with it. There are plenty of signs, but people will ignore it, and then when something tragic happens, like a child or pet is killed and people act all shocked. Why so? It's a pet peeve of mine. I was not surprised that Michael cut off his nipple. I was expecting him to do something really harmful, like burn down the building. When Michael put the paper in his ears, I knew it was more than the sound of the computer.

I was sad to see Megan and Don had made up. I was hoping to see Don with some other woman and NOT Megan's friend. Why can't Weiner find women who have more sex appeal and chemistry with Don. Oh, I forgot. He's in love with this actress.

Henry was mean to Betty, but honestly, Betty is smart enough to know that she should not engage in political opinions at dinner parties. She used to know exactly what to say and how to play it up perfectly for Don at his dinner parties. She's very experienced at saying and doing the right things and office politics, so I don't buy it. She either did it on purpose or it's poor writing.

I love Sally. My favorite part was the Sally/Betty scene.

How many times do we have to be told Peggy is in a dangerous neighborhood. I really wish she would move.
    cablejockey likes this.

FORT Regular

I usually enjoy not being able to figure out everything ahead of time. That I can do this is not because of superintelligence but rather because of a lack of originality in so many books/movies/tv shows. BUT all the falderal (sp.) needs to have some coherence and purpose. And sometimes with Mad Men, that's pretty darn hard to find.

Maybe when all of this is over, we can sit back and say, "Wow, that Matt Weiner was a genius with plot!" and find that all the seemingly pointless scenes and sometimes tedious storylines will have been part of a master plan. But after "Lost" and "How I Met Your Mother," I am not optimistic.

One other thing, perhaps it is because I grew up in the South, but I remember the late 60's fairly well, and all of those micromini skirts in the office seem really out of place.
    Duckyface likes this.

FORT Fogey

I think that the scenes have a point, but all of them do not contribute to the big picture plot. Some are intended for nothing more than entertainment, or to bond two characters. For example, in the infamous lawnmower accident a few years ago -- that did not really contribute to the big picture of the story being told. It worked within characteristics we already knew, such as Joan being a take charge type of person. But there has not been anything in the big plotlines where we've said "oh, so THAT's why the lawnmower happened". It was something that was entertaining, and buzz worthy, so it was thrown in. Unless a TV show is planned out from beginning to end like Breaking Bad or Hostages, there are some plot points that advance the big story, some that establish keys about a character, and others that merely entertain.

Weiner annoys me with his over the top fascination with the actress who plays Megan. Did you catch that comment that Stephanie made to Megan when she walked into the door? She said, "You are so magnetic" or something like that.....so obvious. Weiner is so transfixed with this woman. He just can't help himself.

OH,OMG. I read that some people are saying that the father to Stephanie's baby is CHARLES MANSON! Think of it. Everything does fit. The guy is a musician. Manson thought he was a great one and actually lived with one of the Wilson brothers (Beach Boys) for awhile. And he was in jail around that time frame. And he lived that wandering lifestyle. Manson is said to have fathered many children and most them were adopted out, never knowing who their father was. She never did give his name, did she? If she later says his name is Charlie, I'm going to freak out! lol

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Weiner annoys me with his over the top fascination with the actress who plays Megan. Did you catch that comment that Stephanie made to Megan when she walked into the door? She said, "You are so magnetic" or something like that.....so obvious. Weiner is so transfixed with this woman. He just can't help himself.

OH,OMG. I read that some people are saying that the father to Stephanie's baby is CHARLES MANSON! Think of it. Everything does fit. The guy is a musician. Manson thought he was a great one and actually lived with one of the Wilson brothers (Beach Boys) for awhile. And he was in jail around that time frame. And he lived that wandering lifestyle. Manson is said to have fathered many children and most them were adopted out, never knowing who their father was. She never did give his name, did she? If she later says his name is Charlie, I'm going to freak out! lol
    Given the Mad Men time line it would have begun December 1967 moving in to 1968.. Manson wasn't incarcerated at this time. He was in fact near Berkeley (when its mentioned Stephanie was in school) in the Summer of 67, the Summer of Love in the Haight-Ashbury area of San Fran. Given how Megan said she was pretty far along, and it was mentioned by Stephanie I think, 7 months or so. He would have been on his trek north after that summer, so not in jail. That being said it COULD fit, but I really hope Matthew doesn't go there when there are so many other 'tie in' events. I am not feeling this show of late.. but am committed to the end because i have gone this far... i hope it gets better. Betty is annoying, Megan is annoying, the decline of Burt Cooper is annoying. I still like Roger in small bits, loved him the last episode and love him more with his wife in scene. Peggy has had SUCH a huge downhill slide I can't even see her coming back.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I'll try to find a link, but I've read several places that this past Valentine's Day on the show was Feb. 1969. It's still cold enough in NY for coats, since some are still wearing them, so it's not yet spring.

Here's a couple. It lists some historic events from 1969 we can expect to see this season.

'Mad Men' recap: The Valentine's Day massacre*-*Los Angeles Times

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-tv/...180459422.html
    Last edited by Debb70; 05-12-2014 at 09:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread