+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

I loved this episode. It was kind of surreal and fascinating. Hepcat, you're a lot more observant than me. I didn't many any of those connections. Doi!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3212363;
    Thanks for the info. Are herbal cigs not bad for you or non additive?
    No nicotine so not addictive, but I'd guess if you inhale burning herbs that can't be great for the lungs...but maybe not much worse than inhaling burning leaves... back in the days (same period!) when people burned their leaves after raking them.

Who is John Galt?

I loved the line where Joy told Don her father liked him because he was "beautiful and didn't talk too much". Jon Hamm is so perfect in this role - handsome, intense, emotionally repressed, and very smart. I too think he is drawn to Joy and her crowd because of their freedom and carefree openess, which is so different than his life and the people he is normally around.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3216680;
    This was a very different episode. Is it just me or were there too many obvious metaphors? Like Don's luggage going missing, freeing him of his baggage. Then the girl he meets is named "Joy" and he seems to see this bohemian, carefree, non-working lifestyle as a road he could take if he pursues Joy.

I thought Pete's lack of success was interesting. He seemed to rub everyone in CA the wrong way and I guess he just doesn't fit in with that lifestyle, he belongs in NY.

My favorite moment was when the European guy came out in the break room matter-of-factly. And I love that he fixed Peggy's awful hair.

Don called someone as Dick Whitman. The only person I can think of was that blonde who showed up in a flashback when he was working as a used car salesman. If it's not her, I don't think they've given us enough clues. It can't be a family member or he would have called himself "Dick" alone, not using a last name.

Oh, and that last scene of Don with his arm on the couch looked just like the credits. Then there was the nice parallel of Roger in bed with Jane while she looks at her poetry and then Joy & Don in bed while she reads Sound and Fury.
    Some good insights here.
    I especially like the choice of book that Joy was reading. Faulkner's Sound and the Fury. .......'full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
    The writing is just so brilliant on this show.
    As far as the European guy "coming out" - in NY in the 60's this would have been a no, no - but this was a European guy. Way different attitude about those things from Americans.....

FORT Fanatic

Well he laughed with the bad spy comment and then called someone as "Dick Whitman" like they would just immediately know who he was matter of fact so maybe he is an old spy of some sort? Obviously he hasn't been a public Dick Whitman supposedly since she was a no one soldier. So, why would someone now besides family know who he is out of blue like that if he hasn't been "Dick Whitman" all this time to someone? If I called someone from HS that I haven't talked to since then and said Hi this is "jane Smith" they would have to say "who"? and I would have to jog their memory. Don's supposed life before he was Don was a nobody life right? Did he go to college as Dick or Don? When he played ball.

Curious!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Damn it! Just when I'm prepared to hate Don Draper, I start to like him again. The way he treats and the relationship he has with the real Mrs. Draper had me liking him again!

FORT Newbie

I want to know about Betty's health...she vomited in the car w/Don, she's not felt well, and now in Episode 12 Sally says she's bleeding. Dh and I think she's pregnant. What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by usschmidt;3220085;
    I want to know about Betty's health...she vomited in the car w/Don, she's not felt well, and now in Episode 12 Sally says she's bleeding. Dh and I think she's pregnant. What do you all think?
    When she vomited in the car, I felt it was due to the combination of too much to drink and the news about Don's affair. As of late, though and especially with the bleeding, I think it's either miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy.

Speaking of Betty, I'm finding her pretty unlikeable. Yes, she's repressed by her stifling lifestyle and being treated like a child by her father, her husband, and even her shrink. But she was stone cold with Glen Bishop, kind of encouraging him at first (the lock of hair for the love of Pete) but then turning on him without any sort of sympathy in her eyes or voice. It was for the best, but dang, she's one cold fish. One minute she's holding hands with him then she's kicking him out blank-faced.

Also, the way she treated her friend on the phone. I guess she was sort of living vicariously through their affair since she he had hit on her first, and she kind of set up her friend in a way that looked like she was pushing her towards him. Then she was judgmental about it on the phone.

Even shooting the pigeons - that wasn't a freedom moment to me, just a she's-gone-psycho moment. Weirdness. This show definitely doesn't go the predictable route.

I don't really like any of the characters too much except for maybe Peggy, and sometimes Joan.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Who is John Galt?

I too am not a Betty lover. I can understand Don's ambivilance toward her. He doesn't understand her at all. As we discovered last Sunday with the flashback when he was talking about her to the dead Don Draper's wife - he thought she was beautiful and so full of a love for life. As it turns out, although she is beautiful, she is cold, immature and vindictive. He was so "in love" with the idea of her, but didn't really know the real woman. Guess they were in for a surprise when the infatuation wore off. Neither of them or who they other thought they were. They are both physically beautiful, but they are also both very flawed and emotionally damaged.

I love the show because it shows characters who are fully drawn and multi-dimensional with all their flaws and personality defects in full view, along with the positive.

+ Reply to Thread