+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Re: Mad Men

Did anyone catch how Jim Cutler referred to Don as "the ex-wife that we're still paying alimony to?" The fact that they're setting up conflict between Roger Sterling and Jim Cutler leads me to believe that Roger needs Don to be on his side in the boardroom. It's clear that Bert Cooper will sway to whichever way the wind blows. It wouldn't surprise me to see Roger reach out and bring Don back to SC&P.

Yes I did notice that remark! So I assume they also think Don is as useful as an ex-wife on alimony! A terrible thing to see the brightest ad agency mind of the era reduced to this. I really would like to see Roger bring Don back, but does Roger even miss Don? He seemed to be jealous of Don. Maybe even better would be to see Don and Pete get together with Peggy and outdo all of them.

FORT Fogey

We have yet to see Lou show any talent or skill to explain why he's in the position he is now. He just seems to snap at people, take credit for their good work, and blame them for his bad work. So I'd guess that at some point, his incompetence will show in front of a client. When it does, Roger will know that only Don can step in to save the day.
    cablejockey likes this.

Good point, Acooker. He's disliked by just about everyone in the office he's come into contact with. He's the anti-Don.

Peggy also has ratched up her dislikeness quotient in the office. Both Ginsberg and Stan razz her in the elevator, and then the whole drama with Shirley (and apparently the rest of the secretaries too.) Clearly Ted has gotten into her head.
    Ellen likes this.

I wish they could show Peggy being emotional without being a jerk. Her behavior was so typical of the mean female boss that is difficult to work for. And it wasn't even like Peggy, IMO.

Pete said last night that they should start their own agency in LA. All they have to do is get Don to move out there. They could ask Pete's friend/lover to help too. The new realtor woman, Bonnie, reminds me of Joan. She knows hard work, knows her way around LA and seems hungry to make a go of her life. She isn't a pushover either.

I think they've made it clear that Don isn't going to California. They even mentioned this fact last night in Sally's talk with Don in the diner.

Don told Sally he didn't want to go be with Megan in CA, because he wanted to straighten things out at his job. But, if he can't straighten them out, then CA might be a good option.

[QUOTE=Debb70;47884

Can someone tell me where Bob Benson is? Is he in Chicago? Wasn't he last at Joan's house for a holiday meal, much to the dismay of Roger? . lol[/QUOTE]

Bob Benson is in Detroit overseeing the Chevy account. ( the actor who plays Bob is on the show The Crazy Ones with Robin Williams)
    Debb70 likes this.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Betty is back and crazy as ever. Bobby has never really been much of a character (and IMDB gods know how many actors have played him), but in this episode, he really was trying to make Betty the "cool" mom at the field trip. So he gave up her sandwich to a girl who didn't have anything but candy. Betty needs to grow up, but that's no surprise. Loved seeing Francine again, though. NTL, I'm kind of tired of Betty as Weiner's mom substitute "whipping boy". Ugh. Get over it, Weiner!

Also, as regards the Draper boys, shouldn't they be older? Isn't Gene like 5 or 6, which should make Bobby middle school territory?

I hated that there was the tease that Megan was finally going to chuck Don. Too bad she didn't stick to her earlier conviction. In only 2 episodes, her agent has bored me with his stereotype of talent agents. He still reminds me of the dude who was Liz Lemon's agent when she was shopping "Dealbreakers". But 30 Rock was an exaggerated situation comedy, which MM is not.

It is somewhat understandable why Don took the constricted offer to come back to the agency. He wanted back, and if he refused he would have technically quit, thus the do not compete clause would kick in. And I think it might be fun for Don to dazzle the creative team (well, not Lou, because I doubt anything would dazzle him) and get some new business. I just don't know why (other than for economy of story telling) the west coast office wasn't consulted.

Seeing Betty again was a surprise. There she was on a school trip wearing a fancy outfit and smoking on the school bus! Her p[oor son was so happy she was taking an interest until he traded away her sandwich! And why does she always have a black housekeeper/child minder? Her new husband doesnt call her on her whining about the children loving her and her methods of punishment--like Don did. Her daughter is in boarding school because Betty didnt want to deal with her.
    I really felt for Don as he waited for his appointment time and made his way to the office. Surprised that Joan and Betty were so cold and rejecting, as Don was one of the few men that really helped them! So hard to believe that everyone dislikes Don so much. It cant be solely from that meeting where he talked about his childhood and a brothel? Some even forgot how much it would cost to buy him out! This new contract is an insult and yet he agreed! When Don knocked on that door at the hotel and Roger answered, was Don looking for the girl that stopped by his table? Was meeting Roger a surprise for Don, a set up by Roger?
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread