+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

I dont think Don Draper will find any woman to keep him interested for long. He hasnt got the skills to invest in a relationship for very long or care about other people. That may make him a dandy ad man but a lousy lover and husband.
    redsox girl likes this.

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I dont think Don Draper will find any woman to keep him interested for long. He hasnt got the skills to invest in a relationship for very long or care about other people. That may make him a dandy ad man but a lousy lover and husband.
    I think we are seeing Don 2.0 now. He had an opportunity with the realtor that Pete introduced him to, and a golden opportunity with the woman from the plane. The door was wide open but instead he says, "I've got work to do" and actually does work. And it's clear through Freddie Rumsen that he's still got the touch. This isn't the Don of last season we're seeing.
    Dragonlady and Debb70 like this.

MrMet, that's a good observation. Don did turn those women down. He stayed faithful when he first married Megan, right? Then into the marriage Don cheated with Betty at least once, Sylvia and who else?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    I think we are seeing Don 2.0 now. He had an opportunity with the realtor that Pete introduced him to, and a golden opportunity with the woman from the plane. The door was wide open but instead he says, "I've got work to do" and actually does work. And it's clear through Freddie Rumsen that he's still got the touch. This isn't the Don of last season we're seeing.
    I agree with you here but it'll only be a short-lived New Don. He is what he is....leopards/spots, etc......I do think it's possible to change your basic personality and behaviors, like alcoholics, but I don't think it's in him to change. You have to want it badly and I don't see that w/him. I think he's very aware of his beliefs and consequent behaviors but I don't see a permanent change in the man. JMHO
    redsox girl likes this.

I think it's hard for Don to decide who he even is in the first place, seeing as Don Draper is a persona he created. Dick Whitman was a poor farmboy with a checkered upbringing who was sent to war, and came back somebody else. Living in disguise usually means you have to keep people at a distance as a rule, in case you have to suddenly disappear one day. Even though a lot of people know his secret at this point. he could still be picked up and arrested/court-martialed at any given moment, without warning. The fact that he was even able to be so close and committed to Megan for the first year of their marriage is amazing in itself. We've watched him get older and more comfortable over the years, but deep down he still lives a life of desperation.
    cablejockey and redsox girl like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Last season we witnessed Don hitting rock bottom. It stands to reason that we're gonna see some redemption here in the final season.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I really liked the second episode so much more. There was just more movement and any episode with Sally & Don interacting is always awesome on the performance level. Yeah, she's petulant, but she's 14 (or so) and boarding school kid. Joan, once again, was getting ahead at work. Dawn and Shirley's scene in the kitchen wasn't too "nail on the head" with racial relations in the 60's. I actually can believe that name switching thing still goes on today as a joke among coworkers. Also true to today: epic failure on a multiparty conference call. Pete's meltdown made me wonder where his shotgun has gotten to. Best of all, no Megan. I will speculate that Jessica Pare can act better than what she's given, but Megan, since last season, has been written as wet bread on top of a zesty meal.

Don is so lost, but he's showing signs of hope.

"If you're not working, why don't you just go live with Megan?"
    "Because I want her to be here -- to fix it all."
    "How?"
    "I don't know."

That was a little too patient-on-the-couch, but it was also brilliant in that Don is starting to let his guard down with the right people at the right time, starting with Sally. And he's smart enough to be flirting with contacts from other agencies, just in case.

Meanwhile, everyone else from the Sterling-Cooper side of SC&P (except Joan) seems to be sinking. It's obvious that Lou won't last long in Don's office (he's mediocre and unlikeable), but I don't think DOn will be taking it back in the next couple of episodes.

Maybe Jim Cutler is getting his wish from last year, and he and Ted are starting to sweep everyone else away. Roger is only hanging on because he lucked into Chevy, his new American Tobacco. Cooper does nothing (and I thought his little bit of bigotry this week was uncharacteristic -- he's fine pitching the Japanese, but not having a black receptionist?). Don's already under the rug, and Pete is marooned on the west coast. Makes you wonder if everyone is going to find a lifeboat, or just some of them.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

That boss, Lou was such a jerk and probably represented a lot of bosses everyone has in their lives. I hope something happens to him--something bad. The whole agency is just schlepping around and really not doing much. Where's the excitement and fire we saw in the early years? Nobody seems to be edgy or sharp anymore--just going thru the motions. Roger had better look out, he has no friends or support at work anymore. Is Peggy really acting that stupid and common just because he boyfriend went back to his wife and doesnt want her anymore? I thought she was better than that.
    Those scenes with Sally and Don in the car were hard to watch. Little Sally has a lot of anger and hostility! Were her friends even really going to a funeral or just going to the city for fun?
    But at the restaurant, it was nice to see Don let the mask slip a bit and be honest to his daughter, I think that moment saved their relationship.
    Joan at least seems to be on point, never losing sight of her hopes and dreams. Now she has an office and accounts. Dawn has an office too and a new job. Just listening to that stupid Lou whining because he had to deal with Sally, but only because Dawn was buying his wife a present, was maddening. Dawn actually had three different jobs in one day as well as her secret job for Don.

I sensed they were setting the show up to take one of a couple of courses. I hope I'm wrong. Are they setting it up so that the original CSP firm will reunite and get rid of the new ones? Or will Pete start a new firm in LA and Don, Peggy and Roger go to join him? Just speculating.

Sally was too funny talking about her mom with her girlfriends. Sad, but it was funny, IMO. I thought that Sally catching Don in his job situation was a little too predictable, since she also caught him with Sylvia.

Peggy's behavior was off too. I didn't think the writers handled that very well. It just didn't seem like Peggy to punish someone for something that was her doing. It was difficult for me to buy that.

Can someone tell me where Bob Benson is? Is he in Chicago? Wasn't he last at Joan's house for a holiday meal, much to the dismay of Roger?

What is the name of Pete's lover the real estate lady? OMG. That character created more interest than Megan has in all her combined seasons on the show. AND the acting was light years better than Megan. I bought her short story of how she lost an important sales job completely. She nailed it. I wasn't aware that she was acting. I would hope to see more of this character. She's too good for Pete though. Maybe Don, once Megan dumps him and he moves to LA to work. lol

+ Reply to Thread