+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Mad Men

The new episode left me a bit underwhelmed. I was glad to see Freddie back, and ultimately working with Don. And I liked Joan taking charge of her work situation. Weirdly enough, I liked Pete in LA (maybe it was the delish looking sandwich). But other than that, it only struck me that 60s makeup on women makes them look older than their ages, first Linda Cardellini and now Neve Campbell.
    cablejockey, AmyKay and momrek06 like this.

I'm looking forward to seeing it when itunes sends me the episode. I don't get that channel any longer so need to wait. It will be interesting to see Pete as a happy character...
    Last edited by Cootie; 04-14-2014 at 03:11 AM.

Agreed, PG, although I often feel that way about season premieres. They have to spend so much time telling us what's going on with everyone. It seems like the only major character we didn't see is Betty...oh, and Sally. Still, any episode that starts with Roger Sterling wearing nothing but a telephone can't be all bad I'm going to have to watch the episode a second time before I really know how I feel about it.
    momrek06 and AcookerTV like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

In the midst of viewing all that bleakness (twice), I managed to burst into loud laughter both times that I watched Ken throw Joan's earring at her, only for it to land wildly off-target due to his lack of depth perception.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Poor Ken. No matter what he does, he ends up looking like a bit of a boob.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

How did Ken lose his eye? I really can't remember! And when did he get so whiney and loud? Its true that the makeup from the era makes women look so old to us! I did not know who that woman on the plane was until I saw the credits!
    Poor Peggy and Don. They are really struggling. Things were more clear cut when the series started, now it seems like everyone is wandering around trying to figure out what to do next! Except Roger who seems to think having tons of sex with strangers is the way to go! For a man with a bad heart, his smoking and drinking dont seem to slow him down! Is he still working at the agency or like Don, on a forced leave?
    Seeing Megan and Don together was dreary and all the life seems to have leaked out of their marriage--you can see they are going thru the motions even if it means he has to fly out every week! And why is Peggy running an apartment building? Is that the place she and her old boyfriend bought a couple of seasons ago?

Ken lost his eye when he was still on the Chevy team. The Chevy execs always wanted him to party hard with them. First they made him get into an auto accident while driving them around (remember when he tap-danced with his cane last year?), and then they took him hunting and accidentally shot him in the eye. That's when Pete took Ken's place on Chevy, which didn't last long after Bob threw him under the bus and exposed his lack of driving expertise in the GM lobby.

I liked what they did with Ken last night -- while Pete is having a laid-back blissful time in California, Ken, who now has Pete's old job as Head of Accounts, has basically turned into Old Bitter Pete from the stress and overwork.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

So this episode starts in January of 1969 shortly after the one from last season. When they showed Megan's house in the Canyon, (Laurel or Benedict Canyon? They are near each other), I expected them to play Twelve Thirty, (Young Girls In The Canyon) by Mamas and Papas. This was a super cool place to be during that time. Her neighbors would have been Jodi Mitchell, Jim Morrison, David Crosby, AND SHARON TATE! Sharon Tate was murdered in her home along with her guests on August 8, 1969, so it's likely they will cover the story on Mad Men, since Megan will definitely react to this. The fact Don felt the place was eerie may have been a foreshadowing.

LOVE Neve on the plane. I hope she returns. I don't see many women who have chemistry with Don. She does, IMO. Bring her back.

Don is still getting paid by his agency, even though he's not allowed to work. He's amusing himself by working with Freddy on contract work. Freddy is pretending it's his ideas that he's selling to Peggy. Question: Does Peggy know these ideas are actually coming from Don and not Freddy?

Don is hiding the fact that he's been sent home by his agency from Megan. She's going to be very upset when she finds out he could have been staying with her, since all he's doing is sitting around the house in his underwear all day. And what happens when Megan calls Don at the office? Do they just say he's out? Wouldn't they think it odd that his wife keeps calling him there?

I would be complaining about so much of Megan again, but since they have included LA, it's almost worth it. That area was beaming with excitement at that time, as they have shown with Pete.

Did they show Bob Benson, Peggy's friend from the office? I didn't see him.

Oh yes,Cablejockey Peggy bought that apt building because her ex boyfriend encouraged her to. Now, she lives in a building with fear due to the neighborhood and is a landlord. Odd choice for someone who has no time or desire to run a building. She should have a handy man on staff.
    Ellen and cablejockey like this.

I didnt think about how Don hasnt told Megan he is off work and sitting in the apartment! It will probably be the last straw for their marriage! Thanks for the info on Kenny--I really forgot all about that shooting accident!
    Don looked so early 60s getting picked up by Megan at the airport--who herself looked the epitome of late 60s fashion! But that hair and makeup really drags down the women's looks. I did not even recognize Neve Campbell on the plane.
    Peggy should really sell that building! She has too many responsibilities already. I didnt like Roger's sanctimonious daughter telling him she forgave him all his sins. (For a man with heart troubles, he sure is in it up to his neck!)

The reason I took it that he was lying to Megan about his job, is recall how Megan asked Don if she could drop him off at his office on her way to classes? He said he would get a cab. She thought he was going to their LA office for work. And then he told her he had to leave LA to get back to work. But he has no work. Recall the little look that Don got when Pete said he kept intending to look up Megan? Don's afraid Pete will spill the beans about him being let go. Still, I don't know how it works when Megan calls Don at his office and he's never there. ??? Maybe they have an arrangement and he calls her on a regular basis claiming to be at work.

Was that woman Roger's wife or a new woman?

+ Reply to Thread