+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Here's a pretty good recap/review of the season

Expresses many of the viewers' frustrations with Don...

End of Season Report - Mad Men, Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by kanona29 View Post
    Here's a pretty good recap/review of the season

Expresses many of the viewers' frustrations with Don...

End of Season Report - Mad Men, Season 6
    Great review! ITA!

I wonder if Matthew Weiner is so naive that he has been plotting this down into ashes storyline with Don, only to have him return to the top after hitting rock bottom. That storyline may work in some cases, but with Don, he has taken it too far. Don's behavior went on too long and was too deep. It killed off even the dire hard fans of the Don character. He just went too far. Now nobody cares about Don. There is no stake in what happens to him, IMO. And no matter what he does, it won't be enough.

I think it may be true that writers of great shows often lose it in the last couple seasons of their show and it turns sour. I'm not sure why, but it does happen. I think MW has made plenty of mistakes with MM, but I think he's too full of himself to admit it. And while the Megan character has fans, I still relate the timing of when the show went downhill to when she became a major character.

I just hope good things are in store for the next and final season.
    Dragonlady and Coco46 like this.

IMO, I find Megan's character and Jessica Pare to be such an interesting aspect to the show. I am disappointed that this season she wasn't given the same brass ba**s she had last season, when dealing with Don. She's the only woman, in a romantic sense, whose ever held him accountable for his behavior. From making him sit down and eat dinner after he stumbled in drunk to choosing to leave the ad company to pursue her own dreams. Despite Don's negativity towards that (as well as her nasty mothers bitterness) Megan prevailed. As for Don's parenting (or lack thereof) Megan was the parental figure and frankly, put her own goals aside(last season) at times in order to look after the kids. While Don skated, irresponsible and disinterested. This year, we watched her slowly let go of the delusion she was clinging to, that Don was simply misunderstood and that true love could fix him. Which is the folly of youth. We saw her growing resentful of her role as primary caretaker for the children, which conflicted with her job. While Don, as usual, let her do all the work. By the last episode she was finally ready to let Don go, to give up. The writing on this show and Mathew Weiner are to blame (if there is blame to be had) for any glitches in the writing. I don't think it has anything to do with the character of Megan. Certainly, the show is an ensemble number and the writers this year seemed unfocused on all of the story lines, bordering on the outright silly. Pete's mother falling overboard was laughable. That's just lazy storytelling. Talk about jumping the shark (or in the case of Pete's mother, being eaten by the shark) .
    Dragonlady likes this.
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

The death of Pete's mom was ridiculous. I laughed when he and his brother talked of their mother loving the sea as if she was now at peace in her favorite place.
    redsox girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    IMO, I find Megan's character and Jessica Pare to be such an interesting aspect to the show. I am disappointed that this season she wasn't given the same brass ba**s she had last season, when dealing with Don. She's the only woman, in a romantic sense, whose ever held him accountable for his behavior. From making him sit down and eat dinner after he stumbled in drunk to choosing to leave the ad company to pursue her own dreams. Despite Don's negativity towards that (as well as her nasty mothers bitterness) Megan prevailed. As for Don's parenting (or lack thereof) Megan was the parental figure and frankly, put her own goals aside(last season) at times in order to look after the kids. While Don skated, irresponsible and disinterested. This year, we watched her slowly let go of the delusion she was clinging to, that Don was simply misunderstood and that true love could fix him. Which is the folly of youth. We saw her growing resentful of her role as primary caretaker for the children, which conflicted with her job. While Don, as usual, let her do all the work. By the last episode she was finally ready to let Don go, to give up. The writing on this show and Mathew Weiner are to blame (if there is blame to be had) for any glitches in the writing. I don't think it has anything to do with the character of Megan. Certainly, the show is an ensemble number and the writers this year seemed unfocused on all of the story lines, bordering on the outright silly. Pete's mother falling overboard was laughable. That's just lazy storytelling. Talk about jumping the shark (or in the case of Pete's mother, being eaten by the shark) .
    I agree with you here about Megan. I've never understood all the dislike of her character...and the actress herself. You made some great points about her. I suppose the others think Betty was a better partner to Don??? Hardly.
    redsox girl likes this.

Somewhat related to MadMen, and I know I have posted here about it before...The Pitch (the reality show about 2 agencies duking it out for a client) is coming back for a 2nd season! Yay!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

I'll have to check that show out.

Jon Hamm is in a new show with Larry David called Clear History. It's non-scripted and suppose to be pretty funny. I think it's on HBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

Jon Hamm is in a new show with Larry David called Clear History. It's non-scripted and suppose to be pretty funny. I think it's on HBO.
    It's not a series. It's a TV movie.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKay View Post
    Somewhat related to MadMen, and I know I have posted here about it before...The Pitch (the reality show about 2 agencies duking it out for a client) is coming back for a 2nd season! Yay!
    Yay! Thank you so much for posting this. I really enjoyed the first season and am looking forward to when it returns. Do you happen to know when the first episode of season 2 airs?

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Aug 15th at 11e/10c
    Marlena_M likes this.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

+ Reply to Thread