+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Well, let's just say I'm underwhelmed. I'm still trying to figure out why this was a great season and why I'm supprosed to have sympathy for Don.

I lost my love for Don awhile ago. I can't put my fingure on when it happened, but it was before Sylvia. What is Weiner trying to do? Is he trying to bring Don to terms with his past and acceptance of who he really is? Is he now turning over a new leaf and willing to show himself to his family? If this is it, then I'm afraid, I don't care enough about Don for that to appeal to me. That's all he's got? Oh well.......next season really needs to improve.

For the first time, I thought the last scene with Don and Megan was really good. Her best acting yet. Still, I wouldn't miss her character if she went to CA and we only saw her in small doses next season.

I'm confused. At first they said that only one person could go to CA, but then Ted and Pete ended up going. Why?

Do you think that Pete's mom is really overboard? My guess is that she and Manollo, faked her death. Pete and his brother sure didn't seem to be brokenhearted over it.

Bob was carving the turkey in an apron for Thanksgiving. What kind of friend is he to Joan?
    Last edited by Debb70; 06-24-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    cablejockey likes this.

I was confused about why Peter is going to California too! He didnt seem too upset over losing Chevy--thanks to Bob's prob knowing Pete couldnt drive a stick--and his mother! He and the brother were already splitting up her stuff!
    And I am shocked At Ted;s behaviour towards Peggy. What was all that protesting his love for her, wanting to leave his wife? If he a pathological liar? Or once he got Peggy in bed, the fun was over? Also surprised that Don gave up his chance to start over to help Ted get away from Peggy!!
    You could see Don unravelling all season. And to wake up in the drunk tank after blowing off work to sit in a bar,(did anyone notice Don was watching Bewitched in the bar?) and blatently steal another worker's idea verbatim, to give his wife hope then take it away, was bad enough. But to tell that story about growing up in the brothel and enjoying his chocolate bar to the clients, was an awful self destructive thing to see! I kept waiting for the whole thing to turn into a daydream of sorts!

FORT Fogey

I think Teds behavior is a reflection of the times.the mindset of "do what makes you happy" was emerging in the 60s but not with the Madison Ave executive set. He's tempted by what he wants, but tied down to obligation and conformity. He's also taking the path that Don and Betty chose against - giving up his own desires so his children don't suffer from a broken home. I still have sympathy fr don to a degree because with flashbacks we understand WHY he acts like he does. He's a product of his upbringing. On the other hand, Pete and Roger both appear to be self centered aholes simply because they can be.
    cablejockey and Uncle David like this.

I wish they realized that coming from a broken home is not always the worst thing. Living in a broken home is worse. (Credit to Dr. Phil for that one.) Regardless of what Sally saw, she and her brothers would have been suffereing much more if Don and Betty were still together. Don and Betty are better spouses than they used to be, even with the infidelity we were shown.

My heart did break for Megan. To be looking forward to moving to CA with your husband to make a fresh start with her marriage and her career was so exciting. Then to yank it away.....bad news. That was just too much.
    cablejockey likes this.

The main thing I saw from this last episode was how hurt we can become during our childhood and how that affects the adult we become.
    It all seemed to be about parents, children and family. I disagree that Pete and Roger are just asses because they can be. Look at Pete's mother and the words she said to him about being unlovable....it's probably not the first time he's heard those words or similar ones. I don't know that much about Roger's childhood but I can guess that he was very neglected.

FORT Fogey

You are correct that it's possible that Roger and Pete are products of their upbringing. I guess my point was that with Don, we KNOW how he got where he is. With Pete and Roger, there's a lot more unknown. So I guess I find it odd that many people give their bad behavior a past, but hold a lot of anger towards Don.

I have read that the creator/producer, Matthew Weiner, had a terrible childhood and that he has huge mother issues. And that MM is his story. That's why everyone is so miserable. Betty used to be the mother image he had from childhood. Does that mean Don's his dad? lol

There is speculation that Bob is a true talented Mr. Ripley type character. For those who didn't see the movie, it's about a man who is all things to all people and a master at con. He uses his talents to obtain wealth and status and ends up killing a few people, even those he loved to obtain his goals. Is Joan in danger? Will Pete share his concerns with Joan about Bob's involvement in his mother's death?

Recall when Pete went off on Bob in the elevator? Bob acts too coy. He tells Pete to calm down. He's buying time to figure out his defense. If he were truly innocent, would he act that way. IMO, he was too nonchalent. If had no idea that Manola was going to kill his mother, he would have been more sympathic and would have given a sincere proclamation that he was NOT aware of any plan to kill his mom.

You have to hand it to him though. Bob did solve Pete's problem. (Whether on purpose of not.) His mother, who drove him crazy, is gone. Recall what Trudy said to Pete. He's free of her now. I just hope Joan doesn't get in Bob's way. He could take her or her mom out of the picture. Maybe' I'm getting too far ahead. It'll be a long while before the next season starts. lol
    PGM35 likes this.

Seeing how slyly conniving Bob is, I'm not so sure he didn't play a part in Pete's mom's death.....maybe he thought he was solving a problem for Pete. It's apparent he likes Pete.........why, I don't know???!!! But I don't think he'll take out any of the main stars......unless they won't sign a new contract.

I'm wondering who many more seasons MM has left. I have heard it's near the end.

FORT Fogey

There will be one more season.
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread