+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

It seemed that Sally was so fed up with her parents that she wanted to get far away from them. But they seem happy about her leaving! Betty because its a good social move for Sally(and something she wanted and didnt get when young) and Don wont have to see her disappointed look at him! It was nice to see Glen and how he saved her. I didnt realize you had to be so tough to survive in those posh private schools!
    Once again Pete uncovered a secret life about a co-worker and now he is going to use it. I alsways thought he was going to blackmail Don, but I think he is afraid to.
    That crazy idea for a childrn's aspirin commercial with a Rosemary's Baby theme was out there for Peggy! I love how she tells Don what she thinks of him, but Ted will probably end up hurting her.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Once again Pete uncovered a secret life about a co-worker and now he is going to use it. I alsways thought he was going to blackmail Don, but I think he is afraid to.
    He tried to blackmail Don for a promotion in Season 1 after he found the shoebox with Don's brother's belongings in it on Don's desk. In fact he went with Don to Bert Cooper's office and spilled what he knew, and Bert basically said "I don't care".

Great episode, S1 Ep 12, "Nixon vs. Kennedy" -- it also has all the flashbacks about how Dick became Don during the war.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I'm not sure if Ted and Peggy have done the deed or not, but they appear to be in love with each other and everyone in the office is aware of it. Recall Ginsburg who said he needed a bathroom break just to get approval from Ted for something Peggy didn't say. And Pete told Peggy last week that Ted was in love with her. It was all over. So, it needed to be addressed, although, Don being the one to do it was rather odd, considering his sorry old self. lol Even though I think Don got a perverse pleasure from scaring the two, he was in the right, so Peggy and Ted need to cool it or take it elsewhere.
    Dragonlady likes this.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    . I do wonder who he was talking to in Spanish on the phone. He was telling them how Pete was getting in his way at the office.
    He was speaking to Malano(?)--his friend that was working for Pete's mother.
    AmyKay likes this.

I watched this episode again and it does seem that Don is avoiding going to bed with Megan. Recall she awoke and Don was sleeping in the kid's room. Then the next night he's watching tv and she says he can watch it from the bed, but he just sits there. I wonder if Don has developed impotency since Sally literally caught him with his pants down. I would imagine it's difficult to explain his inability to perform to Megan.

There is speculation that someone is pregnant. I wonder if that pregnancy was Ken's wife since they just announced it. I don't think it would be something that Joan, Peggy, Megan or Betty would be welcoming at this point. And I certainly hope that Sylvia wouldn't be either. lol

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JulieAnn View Post
    He was speaking to Malano(?)--his friend that was working for Pete's mother.
    I think you mean Manolo I'm still curious about the relationship between Manolo and Bob.
    JulieAnn likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm not sure if Ted and Peggy have done the deed or not, but they appear to be in love with each other and everyone in the office is aware of it. Recall Ginsburg who said he needed a bathroom break just to get approval from Ted for something Peggy didn't say. And Pete told Peggy last week that Ted was in love with her. It was all over. So, it needed to be addressed, although, Don being the one to do it was rather odd, considering his sorry old self. lol Even though I think Don got a perverse pleasure from scaring the two, he was in the right, so Peggy and Ted need to cool it or take it elsewhere.
    I agree they are in love and it needed to be brought down a couple notches, but I still don't think Don needed to do it the way he did. He did seem to get a perverse pleasure from torturing them and I believe it could have been handled in private. All he really needed to do was have the talk that he had with Ted in private after the meeting. I think he is jealous of Ted and Peggy's happiness and that Ted is showing himself to be a better man than Don by not sleeping with Peggy and cheating on his wife, even though he wants to. Peggy keeps telling him Ted is a good man, basically pointing out to Don that she knows he's not one.

FORT Fogey

I just don't agree that Ted can be seen as a good man with what he's doing with Peggy. For starters, he's cheating. Whether he's actually sleeping with her or just emotionally tied, he's cheating. It's evidenced by the fact that he's hiding the relationship from his wife, co workers, and others. If its not cheating there's no reason to hide it. Second, I can't help but think his position as Peggy's boss comes in to the relationship. He's taking advantage of his influence over Peggy. When he thought things weren't convenient for him, he had no problem throwing Peggy away. And this doesn't even get not the things he's doing to manipulate for more power in the agency. Just because he's not don and is competing against don does not make Ted a good man.

I like Mad Men....altho I used to like it more. The acting is great, the story lines are good and I love that it's an era I remember well.
    But it's gotten boring. I know I declared the storylines to be good, and they are except I need more meat in the stories. I just feel I'm following Don around thru his days.
    I want more.
    Ellen and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I just don't agree that Ted can be seen as a good man with what he's doing with Peggy. For starters, he's cheating. Whether he's actually sleeping with her or just emotionally tied, he's cheating. It's evidenced by the fact that he's hiding the relationship from his wife, co workers, and others. If its not cheating there's no reason to hide it. Second, I can't help but think his position as Peggy's boss comes in to the relationship. He's taking advantage of his influence over Peggy. When he thought things weren't convenient for him, he had no problem throwing Peggy away. And this doesn't even get not the things he's doing to manipulate for more power in the agency. Just because he's not don and is competing against don does not make Ted a good man.
    I'd argue that he's not hiding it from his co-workers
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread