+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 141 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;3211337;
    They use herbal cigarettes. The actors hate them.
    Thanks for the info. Are herbal cigs not bad for you or non additive?

This seemed sort of a placeholder episode to me like in a few weeks we'll look back and see foreshadowing or something.

It was pretty disturbing to watch Betty and her father. They really captured that WASP-y feeling that you don't speak about problems even when they are staring you in the face.

Glen Bishop is like the creepiest kid on TV. I hate to say that about a kid but I give the show credit for coming up with such an unusual child character. I thought maybe he was going to do something to Betty's little girl when she sent them upstairs.

Kinsey on the bus at the end, babbling about advertising - what was that?

Edit: Oh, and isn't it funny that Betty only feels close with her nanny/housekeeper? I don't know how close she was with her own mother - I know she took her death very hard, that's the premise for her having this wake-up about her life - but it struck me that she's pretty much emulating the same household herself and her own daughter may feel like Carla (?) is the one she goes to with emotional problems, not Betty.
    Last edited by hepcat; 10-06-2008 at 01:35 PM.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

OK! So what was last night about and who were those people??? It was such an odd episode that I didn't want it to end. LOVED the gay guy doing Peggy's hair. It was about time. What is Don going to say to everyone? Tooooooooooooooooooooo Gooooooooooooooooooooood!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

It was very odd, wasn't it? All the craziness aside, I really want to know who Don called at the end...who alive knows him as Dick Whitman? The girl from the car dealership flashback? Whomever he sent the poetry book in the first episode of this season? The hobo from S1? Some Army guy?

I started to watch it a second time because I missed a lot of things that were said (like the phone call at the end). I missed that he used his real name! I fell asleep. Guess I'll watch it on demand. Don doesn't seem to have a conscience but is quick to point out things that others do wrong. I think that I like him just because he's so handsome but he's baaaaaaad! I'm still scratching my head about those people in Palm Springs. I hope that we get more info on them.

I forgot to watch last night so I read a recap of it and it said that the people in CA were 'Joy and her friends'... is she one of his affairs in season 1? Not the business lady but the one with where he sat outside her apartment door and asked to go to Paris (or something like that) with him when he got a bonus check?

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

No, that was Midge. Joy is some random girl Don meets in California; she's part of a pack of jet set, international, tres chic people who bound from one place to another looking for a fun, sexy time.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3216646;
    No, that was Midge. Joy is some random girl Don meets in California; she's part of a pack of jet set, international, tres chic people who bound from one place to another looking for a fun, sexy time.
    Aahhh, gotcha! Thanks for the clarification!

This was a very different episode. Is it just me or were there too many obvious metaphors? Like Don's luggage going missing, freeing him of his baggage. Then the girl he meets is named "Joy" and he seems to see this bohemian, carefree, non-working lifestyle as a road he could take if he pursues Joy.

I thought Pete's lack of success was interesting. He seemed to rub everyone in CA the wrong way and I guess he just doesn't fit in with that lifestyle, he belongs in NY.

My favorite moment was when the European guy came out in the break room matter-of-factly. And I love that he fixed Peggy's awful hair.

Don called someone as Dick Whitman. The only person I can think of was that blonde who showed up in a flashback when he was working as a used car salesman. If it's not her, I don't think they've given us enough clues. It can't be a family member or he would have called himself "Dick" alone, not using a last name.

Oh, and that last scene of Don with his arm on the couch looked just like the credits. Then there was the nice parallel of Roger in bed with Jane while she looks at her poetry and then Joy & Don in bed while she reads Sound and Fury.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I got a little something else out of this episode. It's just amazing that when a person is really good looking, doors just open for them. Don doesn't have to even try to meet people, they come to him. He just stood at the pool, not doing a thing and voila! Meanwhile goofy little Pete tries so hard and strikes out. Jane too. " What's his name "doesn't even really know her but is already "in love" and wants to marry her just because she's pretty. Loved the reaction of the "guy in the closet" when the one guy came out! European or not, I found it hard to believe that a man would be so honest about it back in the early 1960's. Guess that it's always depended on what line of work a person was in though.

+ Reply to Thread