+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

I do wonder how Don would react if Megan discovered him kissing another woman. Would he respond the way he did in that dream state? Didn't Betty catch him at something once? I can't recall the details, but I recall her getting furious and kicking him out.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Maybe it was just me but Pete looked awfully tall in this episode. IRL he's 5'11 but it just seemed to me the long shots of him made him look extremely tall and thin. Much more so than I ever remembered. Seemed like in S1 when he was such a newbie and was going after Peggy he wasn't tall enough for me to ever take notice.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Just last week Joan said that she was cool with Pete because, what was it?, he was the only one who didn't lie to her, or something along those lines? He confided in her and they've been on comfortable terms post pimping, so why wouldn't she just go to Pete and insist on being in on the meeting? That said, the further emasculation of Pete Campbell is fine by me.

I've grown weary of all the drug stuff. Yeah, it was the 60s and people did drugs. But it seems like a crutch at this point. How many times can Don have an epiphany after smoking some weed? We've been doing this since S1 with Midge. And while it was fun to see Danny Strong again, that party seemed like a "hey, it's the 60s in California!" theme party.

I think Weiner believes there is so much he wants us to learn about the inner workings of Don. And we have to get there when he's on drugs. Well, I don't think there's much inside Don and what is there, we've seen before. I'm not that interested anymore. I wonder if Matthew is that informed on drugs. He seems to think that every drug makes you hallucinate.

The other week when they got the speed shots at the office, it was like Don was hallucinating too. I'm not that up on speed, but I never heard of that before. And wouldn't LSD be more prone to make you hallucinate than pot or hashish?
    Ellen and cablejockey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    It was a little frustrating to me too, but perhaps for different reasons. Why were they so annoyed with Joan? Isn't she a partner like the others? Why can't she bring in business? Isn't it the big picture that counts? Why couldn't Peggy have been more supportive? Peggy acted so scared, when normally she's a crusader. I didn't like it. They can't really fire Joan. How would they manage? And why would Peggy be so scared of being fired when she has proven herself as quite valuable to both firms before they merged? It was rather childish.
    I agree and have the same questions!! She's a partner fair and square and should have been asked about the name as well as she doesn't have to ask to be involved in client meetings. She can bring in business if she wants to. And if she goes to Peggy, then Peggy should have told Ted, this is what we are doing and how we are doing it, not asking. Maybe she should have gone to Don instead.

Why is the Harry Hamlin character so dead set on getting Bobby fired?
    Bobby or do you mean Ginsberg?

Why is Roger becoming such a mean SOB to certain people? Recall how cruel he was a few weeks ago to guy he fired in their firm? It was so unnecessary. Now he goes off on that short man. Was he the guy they gave a job and he didn't do well and was let go pretty quickly? I don't recall much about him. Why did Roger have to be so mean to him. It really makes me detest Roger. I want to like him because he can be quite funny.
    He has no control in his personal life- with his kid or grandkid so he wants to control his relationships with men. I think he likes making them feel "less" than himself especially in front of other women.

Who was the soldier Don saw at the party? And why did he see Megan too? I just knew that both were dead and that Don would return to NY to find Megan dead. Oh well. I guess her death will be left to the finale, if it happens at all.
    The soldier was the one he met while in Hawaii and he stood in for him as a witness to the soldier's wedding. Then he ended up with his lighter but he tried to throw it away and the maid found it and gave it to Meagan b/c she didn't want to be accused of stealing.

That party in LA looked like it could have been at Sharon Tate's house. The same type of layout and people. Did they ever say whose house it was? And who was that blonde that Don was kissing? That wasn't Sharon Tate was it? I'm going to watch that party scene a couple more times. I bet I missed tons of things.
    It was a producer that Harry knows. I think that was what Weiner wanted us to think or for her to resemble.

I think Weiner believes there is so much he wants us to learn about the inner workings of Don. And we have to get there when he's on drugs. Well, I don't think there's much inside Don and what is there, we've seen before. I'm not that interested anymore. I wonder if Matthew is that informed on drugs. He seems to think that every drug makes you hallucinate.

The other week when they got the speed shots at the office, it was like Don was hallucinating too. I'm not that up on speed, but I never heard of that before. And wouldn't LSD be more prone to make you hallucinate than pot or hashish?
    I don't think Don was hallucinating on the Speed Shot they got at the office. I think he was just on OverDrive and just going and going and couldn't stop. He had all these ideas and was just trying to get it all out there. At least that's how I saw it.

I have heard that Joan only has a 5 percent share of the firm and that she should not be bringing in accounts, because that's what accounts are for. Oh well, I still side with Joan. I trust her instincts. With those people, you really have to go after what you want. Playing by the rules with them doesn't really count for much. I guess Joan could be in trouble if Avon doesn't call her back. Still, the firm would be in a bad situation if they fired her. Recall what she said to Avon man? She sad her job at the firm was figuring out what was needed, before anyone realized it.

FORT Fogey

I can see both sides of the argument as to who should be responsible for bringing Avon in. Yes, Joan's presence was vital to the account. She made the initial contact, and the relationship she had could be critical to securing the account. Of course, there's some question as to whether the man from Avon was truly only interested in business, or was also interested in Joan. She initially thought it was a date, so some level of attraction is assumed. Would she allow herself to get into another situation where shewas using her sexuality to bring in an account, now that she's felt the consequences of that? However, to Pete's point, every member of the agency can't go off in their own direction, doing whatever they think is best. If that were the case, what would happen if two different "lone rangers" went after competing accounts, and the agency could only represent one of them? How would that be decided once both were secured? There has to be some level of teamwork, and respect for each person's role. In an ideal world, when Ted decided to make it Pete's responsibility, Joan and/or Peggy would have argued the case for why Joan should not be left out. But of course, this was 1968 and a woman in a leadership role in an office was odd enough that it's understandable they didn't feel they had a voice to argue the point. The whole thing does reflect that even though women were finally in the workplace, they didn't yet have a full seat at the table.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Expecting people in the 60's to behave the way they would if living in 2013 is like expecting a tree to whinny like a horse.
    cablejockey likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Great Article on this topic - http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ale-characters
    "Women still understood their proscribed place in 1968. The National Organization for Women was only two years old. Title Seven was effectively ignored, keeping discrimination perfectly legal. Even in the progressive counterculture, women protested the war equally, but men expected them to spend evenings stuffing envelopes, making supper and being sexually available to whatever man might desire them. Millions of Americans rallied for societal change, but men throughout society still viewed women through just one aperture usually landscape. There could be exceptions Peggy earned more money than Abe but women were not invited to share power.

By 1968, they were tired of waiting for the invitation. Joan, the woman most damaged by her adherence to the rules, gets there first. "I had to do it myself," she tells Peggy, "because this is the only way I could do it."
    cablejockey likes this.

That is what so many younger women forget--just how bad it was! How little importance was placed on a woman's future and employment because common thought was a man will look after you so dont take a man's place in the job market! How little importance was placed on what women thought or wanted--'they are so hormonal they dont even know what they want'!
    Women had no laws to fight against descrimination, or being physically and sexually assaulted just about anywhere by anyone. I would imagine that back then women and children has equal billing as far as the law was concerned.
    JulieAnn likes this.

+ Reply to Thread