+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Re: Mad Men

For as many sites that are doing the Megan Draper // Sharon Tate theorizing, there are equally many disputing it.

Matthew Weiner is notoriously tight lipped and quite the control freak... to the point of giving craptastic teaser shots simply because he's required to provide something. Only when he reveals the reasons for the sirens, Megan's T-shirt, etc will I believe them. Anything else is purely speculation IMO.
    AmyKay likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm still waiting for Pete to shoot himself with that rifle. If they really are going to kill someone off, my money is on someone at the agency. They've already had three deaths in the agency, two of them in the actual office.
    JulieAnn likes this.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    For as many sites that are doing the Megan Draper // Sharon Tate theorizing, there are equally many disputing it.

Matthew Weiner is notoriously tight lipped and quite the control freak... to the point of giving craptastic teaser shots simply because he's required to provide something. Only when he reveals the reasons for the sirens, Megan's T-shirt, etc will I believe them. Anything else is purely speculation IMO.

In the article I linked, they quoted the Mad men costume designer, Janie Bryant, who said that putting Megan in the same shirt Sharon Tate wore was deliberate. So that is some confirmation, and likely about as much as we will get from that whole team.

Matthew Weiner may be feeling some pressue to do something shocking with the script this season. The show has failed to win the awards it was winning and I say justly so. Maybe he wants a comeback in a surprising way. I'd hate to see any of the main characters at the firm go, and Megan stay. That would be very disappointing. I think many MM fans are not Megan fans. I don't relish her being killed off, but I think it could be interesting.

Does anyone recall if the fans were expecting the suicide before it happened? I can't recall.

FORT Fogey

There were hints of a suicide, but everyone was convinced that it would be Pete. He had made several references to suicide all season long, so people were focused on him, and Lane came out of left field. That's the key reason why I'm not convinced this will play out like people are expecting. Matt Weiner is very skilled at giving hints and signaling something will happen, but not being REALLY obvious about it. His foreshadowing is more of the variety that seems obvious after the fact, but not before.

Yes, I've also heard that something terrible could happen to Sally, but I don't want to even go there. I don't think that would go over well with fans. Recall when Betty and Henry were in bed and discussing him having sex with Sally's teen friend? It was said in jest, but still was rather disturbing to me. I can't imagine even joking about your husband having sex with a teen girl whose friends with your child.

This episode was kind of a mess. John Slattery directed, and he's usually a lot more on point. Then again, the writing wasn't as consistent this time, so it might not be his fault.

Ginsberg having a psychotic meltdown, only for SuperBob to fly in and save the day with his "win one for the Gipper" shtick -- Mad Men scenes aren't usually this one-dimensional. Sure there are other questions -- is Ginsberg truly cracking up, is Bob wound so tight that he's due to explode, etc. But usually there seems to be more going on in any given MM scene. I don't know if it was the writing or the directing, but something wasn't perfect there.

Same with Joan & Peggy's argument in the lobby. It's funny that Harry Hamlin is hanging around the place now, because I keep drawing similarities to "LA Law" in some of the storytelling this season. The argument they had -- if there was something wrong, I think it was the writing this6 time. "This is how my characther feels right now!" "Well this is what MY character is going through right now!" It was a little too presentational and on-the-nose for me. I loved the story idea -- Joan finds other ways to prove her worth as a partner and force people to respect her -- but the execution did seem a little 90's-Susan-Dey to me.

Hey look, Don still doesn't fit into 1968! I still wasn't sure on that point! At least there were fewer "MEGAN'S GONNA GET STRUNG UP ON A MEAT HOOK" references this week.

The one good subtle undercurrent to the entire episode was that Ted & Jim are definitely gladhanding their way into a company takeover. There's no way this merger isn't going to turn bloody and break up again. Or will Don & Roger just drink/drug so much that they won't notice they're getting wheelbarrowed out the door? And now Pete's found pot -- that will be a comedic slide into the abyss...or tragic?

I dunno...maybe I'll watch this a few more times and see all kinds of things I'm not seeing yet.

In any case, Bob's getting shipped off to Detroit, to be invisible like Ken. Wonder how that will pan out...
    cablejockey likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

It was a little frustrating to me too, but perhaps for different reasons. Why were they so annoyed with Joan? Isn't she a partner like the others? Why can't she bring in business? Isn't it the big picture that counts? Why couldn't Peggy have been more supportive? Peggy acted so scared, when normally she's a crusader. I didn't like it. They can't really fire Joan. How would they manage? And why would Peggy be so scared of being fired when she has proven herself as quite valuable to both firms before they merged? It was rather childish.

Why is the Harry Hamlin character so dead set on getting Bobby fired?

Why is Roger becoming such a mean SOB to certain people? Recall how cruel he was a few weeks ago to guy he fired in their firm? It was so unnecessary. Now he goes off on that short man. Was he the guy they gave a job and he didn't do well and was let go pretty quickly? I don't recall much about him. Why did Roger have to be so mean to him. It really makes me detest Roger. I want to like him because he can be quite funny.

Who was the soldier Don saw at the party? And why did he see Megan too? I just knew that both were dead and that Don would return to NY to find Megan dead. Oh well. I guess her death will be left to the finale, if it happens at all.

That party in LA looked like it could have been at Sharon Tate's house. The same type of layout and people. Did they ever say whose house it was? And who was that blonde that Don was kissing? That wasn't Sharon Tate was it? I'm going to watch that party scene a couple more times. I bet I missed tons of things.

I found that whole trippy experience Don had at the party, hard to follow. He was seeing people who weren't even there. I kept expecting hippy-Megan's face to morph into the person she really was. Was Don just talking to empty space? Was he already in the pool when he thought he was talking to Megan and the soldier?
    At the beginning of the show, when doing the presviously on Madmen segment, we saw the ad he did that looked like suicide and sure enough, when he went to a warm place, he ended up almost drowning! I wish they showed us how Roger noticed Don floating in the pool and saved him.

FORT Fogey

I think the treatment of Joan reflected a reality that she's been facing all season - even though she's a partner, people don't respect her as one because of the way she got there. She's viewed as important in the agency because she slept with Roger, even though the truth is that she's paid attention and knows a lot about the inner workings of the business, and proven her value that way. She's viewed as becoming a partner because she slept with the Jaguar client in order to get the account. Regardless of the things she's accomplished with her brain, she's seen as unimportant to most of the men in the firm becuase they think she slept her way to where she is, and that's all he can do. Beyond that, it mattered to Pete because he's still young enough in the agency that he doesn't look at the big picture. He still thinks he has to prove himself. Besides, with a business like advertising, what really matters in your worth is the trust a client has in you. If the agency is doing really well, but YOUR client is not, you can be sent packing. He's more interested in looking out for himself than he is the agency on a whole. With Roger - I think that he kind of reflects the attitude that people give him. In both cases you mentioned where he was cruel to people, they were being that way towards him. Yes, he could be he bigger man and kill them with kindness. But his style is to blurt out what is on his mind, not to set a good example. On the theories comparing Meghan to Sharon Tait, I read an interesting point over the weekend. Foreshadowing on this show often doesn't come from the person that the clues are about. Last season, there was all kinds of talk about suicide surrounding Pete's character, but then it was Lane that killed himself. So just because the murder clues are surrounding Meghan doesn't mean that if someone is killed it will be her.

+ Reply to Thread