+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

FORT Fogey

Re: Mad Men

I think it makes sense that both men feel that way about Betty when you consider that Betty only seems to feel good about herself when men are attracted to her. That seems to be where she gets her confidence from. So maybe they are attracted to her confidence and the absence of neediness.
    cablejockey likes this.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

There is a very interesting article on the Jezebel website about Megan and the t-shirt she wore in the last episode. It's the same one worn by Sharon Tate in 1967 for an Esquire article, and it was deliberate, according to this article.

Mad Men: Megan's Shirt Is Just Like Sharon Tate's. What Does It Mean?

Yeah, with that, and the fact that sirens were going off in just about every scene she was in...just how dark is this season gonna get?
    cablejockey likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Being out of town for about a week and a half, I was able to watch two episodes, one after another, which made for very interesting viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    And I'm glad that Peggy got a chance to see that in the Don vs Ted struggle, don is the one who treats her with more respect. He's not great to her, but he treats her based on the work she does instead of an object that can be dismissed.
    I don't quite agree with you here on that point. I think Don has great respect for Peggy's talent at work but I don't think he treats her very well at all. Whereas I think Ted is very much aware of her talent but Peggy the Person interests him more than a talented employee.
    And I too, am wondering if that dance really happened or was is part of Don's brain reacting from the "vitamin" shot.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Peggy did seem to be trying to let Ted know she was available, and did not seem to be interested!
    I didn't like how Ted handled her announcement that she was now "free" after how he had previously admitted how much he thinks about her, their kiss and his interest in her. So w/that info, Peggy must expect something more than almost total disinterest in her. He reacted like his statements about his feelings never happened.

For some reason when we saw Megan at work I thought we'd find out she was having an affair with her boss. Then when his wife came over, I thought Megan and her was having a fling! Looks like Megan is only interested in her career.
    Why would you think that Megan was "having a fling with another woman?" She's clearly heterosexual and loves her husband.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think his moral compass is questionable too. Lets not forget he fell in love with her as a married woman pregnant with another man's child. Henry comes across to me as rather controlling at times, and we've seen Betty just as unhappy married to him as we did Don.
    We need to remember that Henry is a politician and always be aware of his moral compass like we do all politicians. I also think most men were rather controlling of their wives during that era because it was the way to act then, encouraged and approved by society.

Funny how both men in Betty's life find her all the more desirable when other men are seen lusting after her!!
    But isn't that the way that most human males and females throughout the ages?? Men, especially, desire what they can't have. Too bad young girls don't realize this anymore.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 05-30-2013 at 02:48 AM.

There was an article on Buzzfeed.com discussing all the reasons why Megan may be the show's Sharon Tate, and therefore may be murdered. I dont really agree that she may be murdered, but all the similarities are interesting.
    I watched the show, but I usually watch it a 2nd time which I will be doing tonight and I usually catch more the 2nd time, so Ill post my reactions later.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

FORT Fogey

I'm torn on whether or not I think the t-shirt is a signal that Megan will be murdered. On the one hand, Matt Weiner tends to be a lot more subtle with his foreshadowing. The best example being the constant references to Bye Bye Birdie the season that Don and Betty split, which were virtually unnoticed, until the season was over and he explained it, and it all made sense. So to do something that obvious that can be picked up in social media that quickly seems very un-Weiner like. On the other side, if it were to happen, I think it would be a VERY interesting plot twist for Don's character. Don clearly does not appreciate the gift of having a wife who adores him, since he's blown that twice. But if he were to lose that gift, rather than throwing it away himself, I imagine it would have a big impact on him. I'm a bit curious to see how Don would react to that.

I'm so glad you guys posted about the Sharon Tate t-shirt. I had no idea. How do you know this? When did Sharon Tate wear the t-shirt? All those sirens and references to violence in addition to that are very telling, IMO. I certainly noticed those things, but I didn't know about the t-shirt.

I don't wish violence on anybody, however, I wouldn't mind Megan leaving the show at all. IMO, the character Megan came on the scene in an abrupt and unwelcome manner. Yes, she acted as a nanny for the kids, but that could have been handled with a nanny or with a talented actress, who didn't hog the show.

Her character has always gotten way too much scene time. She's not that interesting or complex and I have no interest in her at all. Even scenes that had such potential to be memorial were boring or annoying. She just doesn't capture me at all.

Part of the reason Megan is so lackluster may be due to her poor acting skills. This actress is not in the same league with the other actors on the show. We lose valuable time seeing more of the interesting characters and gifted actors, because we must see Megan. It makes me wonder what hold she has with Matthew Weiner. Recall his son had a part of the show and his acting was a little wonky. Is this lady related to Matthew? I just don't get how she waltzed in and became character #2 on the show, only behind Don. She's not all that.

So, the young, beautiful, NY actress, whose husband is away a lot, is murdered in his absence. So similar to Sharon Tate. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I read some interesting points about a possible pending murder. Do you recall seeing Sally reading the book Rosemary's Baby on the show? The writer of that screenplay was Roman Polanski, Sharon Tate's husband. It just gives me chills. Would MM go there? AND Don was shown reading a book entitled The Last Picture Show. The man who directed that for a movie had his girlfriend murdered by her estranged husband. Dorothy Straten. I'm really wondering about this now. Also, recall that intruder who robbed them a week ago? You guys may be on to something.......
    Ellen likes this.

Jeez -- it's like they are giving us as many hints as possible in order to prepare ourselves for it without coming out and saying it's going to happen, lol.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

There is always the possibility that they will keep giving us hints to mess with us, so we are waiting for something to happen, but it never will. Though I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is some sort of end of season cliffhanger that ties into all these hints.

+ Reply to Thread