+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree531Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

The guy who died is the G in CGC, so he was a central figure in Ted's company.

And here we go with the GIFs...

"Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Wow, last night was a great episode! I hope the lack of comments are due to the holidày and not that I was the only one who liked it! With Don and Betty we finally got what we've waited on since they split. And they did they story well. I liked that Betty was able to give some "been there dine that" insight on Megan. I also loved that it was an episode about the characters lives instead of the agency. And I'm glad that Peggy got a chance to see that in the Don vs Ted struggle, don is the one who treats her with more respect. He's not great to her, but he treats her based on the work she does instead of an object that can be dismissed.
    cablejockey likes this.

Peggy did seem to be trying to let Ted know she was available, and did not seem to be interested! She and Don have a better relationship because she was never attracted to him and vice versa. Did I hear correctly that her old boyfriend--who reminded me so much of Michael Stivik from All In The Family---was using everything she said and did as material for his book??
    Betty had that moment a lot of ex wives always dream of, and the way she dismissed Don the next morning with barely a hello, was priceless! Its sad that nobody paid Betty any attention when she was bigger and dowdy looking. Now thats all she gets is men's attention! I think its going to cause more trouble than she thinks its worth.
    Did Betty wake Don up with her comments about Megan? Is that why he is connecting with Megan now? For some reason when we saw Megan at work I thought we'd find out she was having an affair with her boss. Then when his wife came over, I thought Megan and her was having a fling! Looks like Megan is only interested in her career.
    What was up with all the sirens last night everytime there was a scene at the Draper penthouse? They were loud.I kept thinking a bunch of cops were about to burst in!! A good cohesive show last night.

That's an interesting perspective on Don vs. Ted's treatment of Peggy. I wasn't sure what was going on there. When Peggy went in and told Ted she was free, I kind of thought she wanted Ted to say, Great, I'm leaving my wife for you or something like that. But, that's not possible. Maybe Peggy was unrealistic in her expectations. When Peggy walked out and looked at Don and then Ted's door, I thought she was thinking how much Ted had become like Don.

Okay, what's up with the guy that Joan is dating? I can't recall his name righ now. He is totally too many things to all people. It makes me distrust him. Is he that desperate for his job? Is he trying to climb the corporate ladder at all cost? Will he marry Joan to get into it?

It's funny, when Roger said he was spending the day with his grandson my first thought was, "You can't trust Roger with a kid." lol

Don never looked more handsome than when he was watching Bobby sing the camp song and then join in.

It's interesting Don acknowledged that sex really doesn't mean much to him.

Peggy was so funny. I can't wait until she gets out of that building though.

FORT Fogey

My impression of Ted with Peggy was that he was attracted to her because she'd have no strings attached. He wanted fun away from his wife and figured he could control her because she had a boyfriend and worked for him. Once he realized he couldn't control her the way he thought, he wanted nothing to do with her. That included not just their personal interactions. But also the way that in the margarine debate, she unknowingly sided with Don saying that a more expensive product made it less desirable. With Betty, I wasn't sure how much she was giving Don the cold shoulder because she wanted to, and how much was because she had to with Henry being there. For both Don and Betty, between the seeing her at the gas station, spending time with Bobby, etc i think they got reminders of the good parts of their marriage that they miss. But then again, I still think they both threw it away too fast.

Good points about Ted and his loss of interest in Peggy.

I think Henry is a big step up for Betty. He has some morals and actually cares about Betty, IMO. Don really doesn't have much of a moral compass. He will always cheat and as Betty said. "The worse way to get close to Don to is to love him." Megan made the mistake and now he cheats on her. Once a woman loves Don, he loses interest. He was obsessed with Sylvia, because she didn't love him and wanted him to go away. He finds that appealing.
    cablejockey likes this.

FORT Fogey

I agree with you about Don, but I don't think Henry gets credit for being great just because he's not Don. I think his moral compass is questionable too. Lets not forget he fell in love with her as a married woman pregnant with another man's child. Henry comes across to me as rather controlling at times, and we've seen Betty just as unhappy married to him as we did Don. I think part of why he looks good is that we don't see all sides of him. As his political career heats up, I can see him getting more demanding and controlling expecting Betty to put his needs and concerns way above all else. I actually think a lot of Dons rivals on the show (Henry, Ted) are not meant to show the good opposite of Don, but to show that his brand of bad may not be as bad as other men.
    cablejockey likes this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Once again my favorite line was uttered by Bobby: "I'm Bobby 5"...that has to be a nod to the kid playing the role is at least the 4th if not the 5th kid to play Bobby.

I was kind of pissed at Ted. At the start of the episode, Peggy isn't awkward about the kiss because she assumed that they were going to just forget about it. Then he's all *feelings, but it isn't right, but still*. Then she stabs Abe in the gut (accidentally and hilariously...I wanted to stab him many a time for his sanctimonious BS; I never liked the original Meathead either), tells Ted it's over, and he's all "well, good luck with all of that." He turned it around on her like she was being whoreish. Not cool Ted; ever the more like Don.

Betty won me over last night like back when she shot at the birds in S1 (IIRC). She owned Don, and I don't think she was flirty and laughing with Henry the next morning for Henry's sake, but to mess with Don.

Why would Roger's daughter think that leaving him alone with a 4 year old would be a good idea in the first place? She should be happy he only took him to see Planet of the Apes and not out for a 4 martini lunch!

Still don't care about Megan's storyline, but Betty got it right with the "Poor girl" comment.
    cablejockey likes this.

Don is barely capable of understanding what Betty said to him. He may have momentary regret of his sorry old self, but he will not stay faithful. I just don't think it's in him to do it. Recall how blank he looked when someone mentioned their teen years last night? Was it Megan? I don't think anything about Don's childhood or teen years were normal or healthy. Thus we have the screwed up Don that we all love to detest. Though he did look handsome as he sat and sang with Bobby.
    redsox girl likes this.

Were they discussing going to camp as a child? Betty did and I dont remember if Don said where he spent his childhood years to Betty--certainly not summers at camp! Funny how both men in Betty's life find her all the more desirable when other men are seen lusting after her!!
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread