+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

That's an interesting observation about Ted. I thought he really was a good guy. Time will tell, but he really has to sink low to be as slimy as Don. lol

I do get the impression that the other partner from the new firm, who is played by Harry Hamlin, is a real piece of work. Recall the scene when he left a meeting in his old firm and he asked the secretary what fragrance she was wearing? He seems to be a womanizer. He also gave Megan the look over at that award dinner.

I find it so amazying that back in his prime Harry Hamlin was such a hottie. He was the eye candy for LA Law, much like Jon Hamm is for MM. He's still attractive, IMO.
    redsox girl likes this.

FORT Fogey

Well we already know that Ted has some slime in him given he cheated on his wife by going after Peggy. So he's not quite the anti-Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I hope the show doesn't have the mean guys do something terrible to Ted, just because he's a good guy and they can. Ted is smart, so I was a little surprised he fell for the getting drunk trick. I hope he learned his lesson. Do you remember in season one when Don first got hired at the agency? I think it was Roger who took Don out for drinks at lunch right before an important meeting. He was trying to get Don drunk for some reason, (sabotage, amusement,?) but Don hung in there. It was Roger who dropped out. I think that may have been when Roger had his heart attack. Someone chime in if they recall this.
    You're right -- it was when the Nixon campaign people were coming in. Previously, Roger had come to Don's house for dinner, and he got inappropriate with Betty. Don got his revenge by taking Roger out for drinks and shellfish before the Nixon meeting, knowing that he could outlast him. When they got back to the office to meet with Nixon's people, they hadn't gotten further than handshakes in the lobby when Roger upchucked all over the place.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Tonight's episode was weird. Was it meant to take the audience on a trip of ... what did the "doctor" call it? ... B-vitamins and a mild stimulant?
    AmyKay likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I see having to watch this one several times...

I also see a lot of GIFs coming out of it as well.
    AmyKay likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I was seriously expecting someone to die from the B complex/speed shots. Or at least Don to tumble down the stairs.

Looooved Harry Hamlin's Roger 2.0, Betty's back to form (physically and characteristically with regard to Don), Bobby's "Are we Negroes?", and Ken's dance. Oh, and the closing song. Sing it, Mama Cass!

I still don't get why Don is so emotionally invested in winning Sylvia back. Is it because she rejected him, or is there something more?

ITA with MFW...this is going to be a multiple rewatch episode.

There were some pretty odd things going on. I already watched most of it twice. Still, it's a mystery. lol

Who's daughter was the girl hanging around in the office?

It looked like Peggy set Don off on his memories from childhood, when he saw her comforting Ted.

Did that dance really happen or was Don imagining it?

I must admit, the lady burglar had me going too. How did she know Don's name? Pretty funny, but it could have been a terrible situation. I babysat my brothers when I was her age, but not in NYC.

Don a stalker? I would never had thought this. For a minute, I just wanted to slap him.

I really wish they would clear up his background. Last night, he said that lady he was staying with was not his mother. Who is she? I wonder if all that confusing background will eventually come together and be very shocking and perhaps something we never considered before. The guy was really abused. Maybe that's a big reason he's so cold. I like the part about him not having a heartbeat.

FORT Fogey

I think that Don's background is going to always be kind of like a plotline for Lost - we'll get enough information to understand things, but never have it all neatly tied up in a bow. Since his mother died it childbirth, it makes sense that he'd say any woman raising him was not his mother. The one constant in all the things we learn about his childhood is that the women who had an influence in his life growing up did not ever take a traditional nuruturing role with him, which is why he has such a messed up view of women. I loved the way they used the story with the burglar as a way to challenge Don's beliefs that his actions and choices aren't hurting anyone. HE figures the lies about his background don't have an impact on anyone ... until he realizes that Sally was left vulnerable because she knows nothing about his past, and is now at an age where that seems unusual. He figures the affair with Sylvia isn't hurting anyone ... until he realizes leaving the door open does have consequences. The woman could have easily known his name from a mailbox in the building, or any other sign that at the time would have attached a name to each unit. Everything else she led Sally to believe she knew came from asking carefully crafted questions where she got information without Sally realizing she was telling her. The guy who died really had me confused because I had no idea who he was. I assume he was a partner at the new firm, but was he someone we had ever met? I assume the fortune telling girl who was hitting on every man was his daughter when they mentioned she was brought to the office? I also thought it was interesting to see what KEn went through compared to the revelations of the similarities between Roger Sterling and Harry Hamlin's character. Both Roger and Harry's character seem to be "do whatever you want if it feels good" kind of men. In Ken, you can see a guy who does not like having to do anything and everything to keep a client happy, but does. It made sense to me that you could see the progression from one to the other. Roger and "Harry" spent years and years serving in the role Ken is doing now. After a while, I understand how you could move from "Do whatever it takes" to "I'm going anything I want, because I've never suffered consequences, and I've had to do everything"

The guy that died was from Ted's firm. He was shown at least twice before. Once after a meeting, he sat in their office and told Ted he had cancer. Then last week Ted was sitting in his hospital room visiting.

Those guys from GM driving like crazy and shooting out of the window looked like lunatics! I wish Don could get to them. Maybe they can shake him up.

FORT Fogey

Okay, now it all comes together with the dead guy! Thank you Deb!

+ Reply to Thread