+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Well its out there if you look for it. Not sure if its a spoiler or not. Don't click if you don't want to know. 'Mad Men' Merger: How the Chevy XP-887 Changed the Game for Don Draper and His Rivals - Yahoo! TV

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    Well its out there if you look for it. Not sure if its a spoiler or not. Don't click if you don't want to know. 'Mad Men' Merger: How the Chevy XP-887 Changed the Game for Don Draper and His Rivals - Yahoo! TV
    Wow -- I love how this show builds on "hindsight is 20/20."
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

So Don and Ted just agree, between themselves, to merge the two agencies. No discussion of discussing this with their other partners? Just decide, tell Peggy to put out a press release and what? Let your partners read it in the paper? Hear about it from a reporter who calls to verify the story?

That bothered me more than anything.
    cablejockey likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Well, Roger and Jim Cutler were there with Don & Ted, so they must have been in on it too.

Ted had every reason to merge, he was about to lose the G in CGC. And the way Bert, Pete and Joan were quietly conspiring to take the firm public in order to cash in expemplifies everything that Don didn't want in a firm. I think the other partners will come around. And Pete's post-married life is about to become very expensive, so I'm thinking he won't be brave and try to strike out on his own anytime soon.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Great point about Joan, Bert and Pete conspiring without Don. I also think it should be say that they all have the title of partner but are not exactly equal partners. Don and Roger bring a lot more to the table talent wise. Roger brought money to the table to establish the agency. Bert brought money but other than that is really just a figure head. Pete had a couple of clients that would move to the new agency and was smart enough to hold out for a partnership. But he hasn't contributed much since then ... And just lost his client. And Joan, well Joan literally slept her way to partner. The others don't demand equality when Don and Roger are carrying the burdens of running the firm. So why should they demand equality when it comes to the decisions?

well, darn....I was sure by the way they described the car that it would be the Camaro....but it seems it was first shown in '67. I just remember the '69 Camaro as the car to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    well, darn....I was sure by the way they described the car that it would be the Camaro....but it seems it was first shown in '67. I just remember the '69 Camaro as the car to have.
    Me too DragonLady! I was hoping it would be the Camaro - I had put that in my spoilers above and then found the articles. LOL

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Well, Roger and Jim Cutler were there with Don & Ted, so they must have been in on it too.
    {snip}
    I've gone back and rewatched it. When Ted calls Peggy into his office to tell her about the Chevy account and the merger it is just Ted and Don... and then Peggy. No Roger Sterling. No Jim Cutler.
    Last edited by Marlena_M; 05-09-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    I've gone back and rewatched it. When Ted calls Peggy into his office to tell her about the Chevy account and the merger it is just Ted and Don... and then Peggy. No Roger Sterling. No Jim Cutler.
    Jim and Roger were with Don and Ted in Detroit when they made the pitch -- they all met in the lobby of GM headquarters the morning after Don and Ted struck the deal in the bar. Jim said something like "I want to make this clear: unless this works, I'm against it." and Roger laughed and agreed. This means that all four of them had already talked through the preliminaries of the merger overnight.
    Critical and AcookerTV like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Tonight was the first episode I ever wanted Don to die or experience that horse kick in the head his dad had. I just didn't want Ted to go down too. I kinda wished Ted shoved him out of the plane on ascension through the storm. That was some f'd up emotional abuse going down with Sylvia...and kinda with Ted too.

Where the heck is Dawn?

Pete's storyline is getting real and interesting with dealing with his mother. And finally there seems to be some purpose to Bob the kiss up....at least Joan got into see a doc.

But it was truly a weird episode to me....like maybe there should have been some 60s drug passed out before watching or something.
    cablejockey likes this.

+ Reply to Thread