+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

My head was spinning last night. So much happened in that episode. I suspected they had to do something to get Peggy back with the firm, but never expected the merger. I guess we have to accept that Roger and Don have the authority to merge the firms on a moments notice.

I guess Don's family is too good for some people. Herb's wife was a little odd, but not mean. I know people like Herb's wife. So what she's not sophisticated. She seemed nice enough. Sometimes people can be annoying, but you just have to suck it up. Patience can be a virture.

I normally like Marie, but she was rather mean last night. Do you think that she really thought the doctor was handsome and that he shouldn't be left alone by his wife? Why didn't she care for those flowers?

Does anyone know if there were any stores open in Manhatten on Sunday back then? Why couldn't the doctor and his son go and buy his wife a gift? Did he have any money? It just struck me as him trying to get something for free again. And is really leaving for the reason he gave or was he fired for some vice?

The blinders have come off and Peggy is seeing what her boyfriend is really like and what life is like because she listened to him and moved to that neighborhood. The grass is always greener......maybe. Is her boss that kissed her married?

Loved the speech Joan gave Don. If someone screwed with me when I was almost a millionaire, I think my attack on them would have been a lot worse.

Pete could have played his cards better if he had thought it through. He could have told his father-in-law that he had brought a client to the brothel who was from out-of-town AND produced someone to back him up. What excuse would the father-in-law have? Pete was wrong, but I for some reason I sided with him on this. He is warped.

FORT Fogey

I think that Peggy's relationship with her boyfriend really does show a lot of the conflicts that her character has within herself. Peggy grew up with very traditional views and aspirations. I don't think she ever wished to have a career. I think she dreamed of getting married, having babies, and being a content housewife. She took a job because she didn't have a man to marry. She exceled at that job by accident. That put her on a career path, and once she was on there, she decided she may as well work at it. She clings to an old fahsioned world that she thought she aspired to, but at the same time, she's excited by the changes that are happening in the world. In many ways, she represents all the changes that happened to the country in the 60s - not quite ready to reject the old ways, interested in the new ways, but not confident enough to jump right in. I think her boyfriend, being more counter-culture minded, represents the world she'd LIKE to embrace but is not entirely comfortable with. On the one hand she WANTS to think and behave like him. On the other hand, she's still more comfortable in a more traditional world.

Best episode in quite a while!
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 05-06-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    Ellen, FireWoman, Critical and 1 others like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Loved the speech Joan gave Don. If someone screwed with me when I was almost a millionaire, I think my attack on them would have been a lot worse.
    It's much less about the money than it is about the fact that she slept with that slimeball to get them the account and then Don just blew it all off. It's like she went through all that for nothing.
    Ellen, PGM35, JulieAnn and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The stuff Joan said about Don acting on his own and leaving everyone else helpless was true and needed, but Joan should also remember that Don was the only partner who, when the whole idea of her sleeping with Jaguar Man came up, was completely against it, and said it wasn't worth it. He even came to her apartment to tell her so himself (not knowing he was too late--another great scene). And even though Jaguar is gone, she's still a partner. She should be still cursing out Pete, and the ghost of Lane for pushing her toward it, but Don was the only real gentleman in that company at the time. (Ironic!)
    Cootie likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I need to rewatch last night's episode - wow - I fell asleep through bits of it but I think I saw the best parts including Don and the other firm conspiring together to get the account. Roger was in his prime last night, too! It felt great to see Peggy in the same space as Don and to watch her face when Don and her boss let her know what was going on (was that in the previews or last night's show?) This season is looking very good all of a sudden.

Good points about Don not wanting Peggy to sleep with Herb.. I hadn't thought about it that way. Maybe I need to rewatch that episode. I recall that he went to stop Joan, but she had already gone to see Herb.

Does anyone know what those books were that Roger took out of his bag before he went to the airport?

I've heard that the new, state of the art, fantastic automobile is .....................I'll put in spoilers. It's not good.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I heard it's going to be a Vega. I vaguely remember them. I think they were a flop though. Although, that's not the firm's fault.

I've heard that the new, state of the art, fantastic automobile is .....................I'll put in spoilers. It's not good.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Camaro?
    I was asking my SO about the car too. It's not one of Chevy's current "famous" cars?? I added it above in the spoilers to see if you'll agree.

I agree - great episode - much better than the week before!!

I guess we will be surprised with the name of the car. I hope it's a hit for the firm.

I guess we will be surprised with the name of the car. I hope it's a hit for the firm.
    You are more than likely correct - I just looked it up and your car was definitely after my car and more likely during the time frame we are in right now with MLK being shot.

+ Reply to Thread