+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    See, I think Ginsberg is secretly gay, and Matt Weiner will use it to introduce the lead-up to the Stonewall uprising into the show. At this point, it's a little over a year before the riots, but the police brutality and corruption in that area is already in full force.

At least, I hope this happens, because I think it would be a great angle.
    Maybe we'll find out what happened to my favorite character, Sal. when Don fired him it was the moment I realized Don was beyond contempt and a hypocrite.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

For all intents and purposes Bobby's step father, Henry is now his `real` father. Don, through his own poor choices and lack of interest, is now just some guy Bobby sees from time to time. So, Don brought him to the movies, big deal. Temporary happiness and momentary distraction from the scary world, but hardly parenting. I believe Bobby cares deeply for Henry now. That was driven home to Don when Bobby expressed fear that Henry would be killed. Don is not going to change-he's had epiphanies time and again about how destructive his choices are to those around him-but he always chooses to ignore those epiphanies. Because he is self=absorbed. Honestly, if it wasn't for Megan and Henry, those kids could be in much worse shape. Also, I found Don`s affect when talking about his lack of parental feelings toward his children to be chilling.
    Duckyface likes this.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    For all intents and purposes Bobby's step father, Henry is now his `real` father. Don, through his own poor choices and lack of interest, is now just some guy Bobby sees from time to time. So, Don brought him to the movies, big deal. Temporary happiness and momentary distraction from the scary world, but hardly parenting. I believe Bobby cares deeply for Henry now. That was driven home to Don when Bobby expressed fear that Henry would be killed. Don is not going to change-he's had epiphanies time and again about how destructive his choices are to those around him-but he always chooses to ignore those epiphanies. Because he is self=absorbed. Honestly, if it wasn't for Megan and Henry, those kids could be in much worse shape. Also, I found Don`s affect when talking about his lack of parental feelings toward his children to be chilling.
    That's an objective way to see it, but I don't think Bobby sees it that way. His parents divorced when he was very young, but he was old enough to know what it meant and to remember it. When Don & Betty sat the kids down to tell them, Sally ran off, but Bobby just jumped in Don's arms and wrapped around him, clinging to him so he couldn't go. It doesn't matter to him that Don hasn't been the best dad -- he's the one he got.

As others have said above, Bobby was worried about Henry getting shot because he's a public figure like MLK was, not because he loves Henry more than Don. Henry's an okay parent, but I think Don will always be Bobby's father as far as Bobby is concerned. And now that Don sees Bobby as a person, maybe he will step up his game.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    One thing that keeps freaking me out is that Philip and Elizabeth are not much younger than my parents! When they show scenes of them in the 60's, I can hardly believe they are old enough to be in that time, but then I recall how that is possible.
    Debb, sorry, but I'm not remembering a Philip and Elizabeth.

But to your point, in the spring of 1968 my parents graduated college and were getting married. My mother had her bridal shower the weekend either right after or the next weekend in Pittsburgh. They were worried about the rioting in the Hill District and my father drove her to the shower THROUGH the Hill District. (Luckily for me, driving through rioting areas is all my dad shares in common with Don Draper...well, that and liking Planet of the Apes. ) But it is weird to think my parents were young adults at the time, about to get married and go off to war. Now most (not all, of course!) 21 year olds are just kids.
    cablejockey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    One thing that keeps freaking me out is that Philip and Elizabeth are not much younger than my parents! When they show scenes of them in the 60's, I can hardly believe they are old enough to be in that time, but then I recall how that is possible.
    Pretty sure this is supposed to be in the thread for The Americans, right?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

OOOPs. Please ignore my post about Philip and Elizabeth. Sorry, wrong thread. lol.

I wondered if anyone loved the closing song last week. It was so beautiful. The name of the song is Love is Blue. It brought back such feelings of nostalgia.

Here's a link that has a list of the ending songs from Mad Men. What a treat.

Episode Music Basket of Kisses
    cablejockey and J.D. like this.

I guess Don wouldn't be Don if he didn't go off and make life-altering decisions that affect lots of other people without consulting them first. As soon as they told Peggy about the merge, I said "S*** just got real." Next week is going to be crazy.

Megan's mom talking smack in French about that idiot at dinner was excellent. I love Marie, even if Julia Ormond is a bit young to play Jessica Pare's mother. I want more scenes with Marie and Roger.
    PGM35 and Cootie like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I cant imagine how shocked everyone will be when Don announces this new turn. But how he could pull such a thing off without approval from the other partners, is beyond me!
    Marie makes it pretty obvious that she doesnt even like her own daughter! Just like Don, Marie also doesnt like Megan's new found celebrity, and she was willing to give away her Mothers Day flowers to the doctor because she was finished with them!
    Poor Pete. Anyone else would have turned that info on his father in law into something valuable. But it will just blow up in his face as far as his marriage goes. Trudy wont believe this and divorce Peter.

FORT Fogey

I assumed that before merging the two firms was finalized, Don had consulted Roger. And if he had done the "right" thing ahd consulted the other partners, the deal would not have happened and some big ad agency would have gotten the account. That's what separates Don and Roger from people like Joan, Pete, and Bert. Don and Roger are confident enough to make the big decisions, take the risks, and explain it later. Yes in an ideal and moral world, there would have been a meeting of all the partners. But like I said, if that had happened, then they would not have won the business. As for Pete - I think it's hard to feel sorry for him for losing his father-in-law's business, because he lost it the same way he gained it. He became a star at the agency over Ken because he used his connections in his marriage to pick up a big account. So it makes sense to me that if he did not take care of the marriage that got the business that he'd lose the business. He succeeded in business because of luck not talent. When he got arrogant about that luck, it went away. Roger on the other hand has always had the talent. He just got lazy and didn't use it for a while. But when he ordered water with an onion to make it appear he was drinking, I had to wonder if he's been doing that even more often recently or if that was a one time move.

+ Reply to Thread