+ Reply to Thread
Page 106 of 128 FirstFirst ... 65696979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1272
Like Tree321Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I've been searching for the article I read once about the "real life Harry Cranes" but I can't find it. I with I could, because it really explained his disrepect well. The lack of respect that Harry gets at SDCP has nothing to do with him, how well he does his job, or the department that he built. That part of the show reflects how the advertising industry was back in the 60s. Harry didn't build a department because he's a genius. He built a department because there was this new thing called TV to put ads on, and agencies had to figure out how to use it. He was the sucker who wasn't good enough at anything else, so they gave him the throwaway job. The article I read interviewed a bunch of real life advertising people, and they all said that back then, Harry would have been disrespected no matter who the character was. It's the job - not him. That's something they put on the show for realisim - kind of like all the secretaries being women.
    That may be true, but I think Harry also doesn't get respect at work because of his personality. I mean, he busts into a partner meeting because he's just SURE they're all talking about him and proceeds to blast them all. Who does that? Even when he decides to get a backbone, he's still a douchebag.

PG - I think you're right about Harry's insecurities re: Joan. I think she could probably do better at anyone's job in that entire office.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I think Joan's office shows that even though she is a partner, and even though Roger admitted when he called her when they formed the agency that they don't know how to do it without her, she is still a woman so in a1960s office, she is still a second class citizen. If they gave her an office that matched her role, they'd be embarrassing themselves to the outside, and perception is everything for them.
    redsox girl and usschmidt like this.

I'm pretty much at the point where I don't see any redeeming value in Don whatsoever. His genius at writing ads doesn't seem to be there anymore. He's horrible to Megan. How dare he condemn her for a love scene when he fools around all the time!
    Thanks for pointing out Ted McGinley's part. I didn't recognize him.
    Joan's in an unpleasant situation, partly due to the era she's in but also due to her choices. Some won't call her a slut but you have to admit, she's acted "slutty" upon occasion. People judge you more on your actions than what's in your heart. I think Joan's a good person but has made mistakes.

Some places during that era, like fine restaurants/clubs, etc used to have phones at each booth. These were commonly perceived as something for very powerful people. If you received a phone call while at the place, everyone just assumed you were important and were wheeling and dealing even while out to dinner.

Joan did help Harry in his early days with tv reading scripts because he couldnt handle them all. Joan actually enjoyed doing it and was a bit hurt when Harry announced he didnt need her anymore and hired some guy to do it! Also Harry plowed into that meeting like a bull in a china shop because he thought Joan was talking about him! He didnt even size up what was really happening!
    That thing Sylvia and Don were doing with the penny reminded me of something and all I can think of is how he said he dropped a penny at the boarding house when caught looking thru the keyhole! In many ways, Don treats Sylvia like a prostitute. I think she reminds him of one from his youth--hookers seem to have played key roles in his life from birth, onward.
    redsox girl and usschmidt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Some places during that era, like fine restaurants/clubs, etc used to have phones at each booth. These were commonly perceived as something for very powerful people. If you received a phone call while at the place, everyone just assumed you were important and were wheeling and dealing even while out to dinner.
    There is a restaurant in my area that used to be like that place, I forget what they call it, a phone club? It was a take off on the party lines...You saw someone you liked at a table and called that table to get to know each other.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

A Television Event: Katie & the Cast of

THE CAST OF MAD MEN WILL BE ON "KATIE" on MONDAY, APRIL 29th!!!
    cablejockey and Debb70 like this.
    KAREN

What's up with the strange guy Roger brought in? How odd was that? I'm not sure I understand why they even had that scene?

I remember the time of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassination. We had some violence in our area too, but I didn't realize that it was so widespread.

What stood out to me is that there were two HUGE scenes, IMO. Both Betty and Peggy were actually happy for the first time in a LONG time. Betty beamed when Henry said how proud he was of her and how he wanted people to get to know her. And Peggy beamed when her boyfriend said he saw their future raising children. It was rather heartbreaking. It's Mad Men. Their happiness must be fleeting. AND Bobby Kennedy's assassination will occur the month after Dr. King's. There will be more heartbreak and sadness.
    Last edited by Debb70; 04-29-2013 at 11:14 AM.

New Yorkers were treated to an inside joke -- the realtor told Peggy "as soon as the 2nd Avenue subway is finished..." -- construction had just begun in 1968 and was slow going; Work halted in 1972 when the city went broke, and it didn't resume until the mid-2000s. It is still far from complete.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I was not born yet, but my mother has told me how scary it was to be in Memphis then. I had no idea that there was significant rioting elsewhere.

I wonder if Peggy was discrimiated against as an unmarried woman with that apartment.

Actually I think Peggy fell victim to a really bad realtor -- I didn't like her strategy of capitalizing on the tragedy by underbidding. It was dumb. And she totally tried to cover her own butt and deflect blame by rationlizing to Peggy on the phone, "It wasn't meant for you!" Granted, it was a pretty dinky apartment, and Abe was right that the neighborhood was all wrong for them, AND she would have hated the long walk to the subway after a while -- but the place would have been hers if the realtor hadn't tried her sneaky little scheme.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread