+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 127 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1263
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

I have discovered that Harry is cheating on his wife with his secretary.(Grapevine.) That's one reason he was so upset with Joan for firing her. When Stan so cleverly asked about Harry's wife and twins, that was code word for you are cheating on your wife. I didn't catch it at first. I always watch it twice though.
    cablejockey likes this.

I'm bored with Stan. In fact, I don`t have any idea who Stan is and I know he`s been on the show for several years. He seems like an idiot first and foremost. Not especially creative, more complacent than anything. The whole `let`s smoke pot Don` it will clear out the cobwebs` was just sad. Further proof Don no longer even has his creative edge. Since last season his creativity has steadily eroded, along with the rest of him. Creativity was the only thing about Don that made Don stand out. It was the one thing he was proud of. He`s let that quality deteriorate. Hes turning into a professional embarrassment-I mean, he used to be able to hide his squalid inner being, but now, like vomiting at the funeral for Rogers Mom, it`s out in the open. He can`t be happy for his doppleganger Peggy, like she supposed I don't know, stay his underling, even at another agency. How dare he betray her! Don, it`s just business. You trained her well, you do the same thing , always have. Also, you might want to check with Stan, who can`t keep his trap shut about accounts. Peggy`s ad was superior which galled Don, not to mention she stole one of his great quotes in her presentation. I'm not a big fan og Peggy ( I know, I know how could I not like Peggy). I don`t know, she`s kind of drab and boring to me. I also think she learned a little too well from Don-yes, she is a creative genius, but Lord I would no more want to work for her than I would for Don. She`s probably going to die at her desk, completely baffled as to why everyone else around her isnt `t doing the same thing. Her lack of awareness when it comes to the way she treats her subordinates is so Don. You think she would be clued into their feelings after being treated so dismissively by Don for all those years.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Let me see if I have this straight. The oldest partner at the firm just makes business decisons, right? He doesn't deal with accounts. Roger and Pete reach out and get business, but they don't work on the accounts. Don does both, right? He brings in new business and he sells the market plan. Don' used to actually come up with ideas. Recall the one he created about disappearing on the beach? (BAD idea) Then they have the creative team. So where does Joan fit in? What does she do all day?
    She seems to have Lane's old job now. She assisted him with his CFO duties, and she handled acquiring the new office space at the end of last season. She must be the new Lane.

Either that, or she still has her old job, Director of Something Services, plus some of Lane's duties. Being a voting partner doesn't mean you have to be involved in the daily running, as Bert Cooper shows.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Am I supposed to hate Harry Crane as much as I do? I just can't help it. He's even more annoying than Pete.....and that's saying a lot.

Should we be concerned for the future of the show now that they cast Ted McKinley?
    MFWalkoff likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think Stan is pretty funny. He's a piece of work, that's for sure, but at least he's gaining some self awarness from his weekly therapy and he's on pretty good terms with the exes. I usually like his one liners.

The entire group is pretty miserable, even the kids. The only person who seems to be happy is the doctor who lives in Don's building. Recall how he described his job and helping people and how it was an honor? He's so dedicated that he walks off in a snow storm to help his patients. He thinks he has a good marriage too. Maybe he's a little low on cash, but he still seems happier than anyone else on the show.

I am waiting for the doctor's secret though. Is he really going to the hospital or is he secretly living in his own hell and hiding somethign really bad. I hope not. Although, if he were cheating on his wife, it wouldn't bother me.
    redsox girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Am I supposed to hate Harry Crane as much as I do? I just can't help it. He's even more annoying than Pete.....and that's saying a lot.
    He's always been a worm, but he was extra-wormy when he humiliated Joan in front of the partners AND the ditzy receptionist. Nobody there respects him, even though he's a major source of income since he built the TV department by himself. He had a point in terms of his value to the bottom line, but he'll never get the respect he thinks they owe him.

I don't think anyone's more annoying than Pete -- at least Harry's behavior is usually done for comic effect. Pete's just evil.

Should we be concerned for the future of the show now that they cast Ted McKinley?
    Well he was the kiss of death for Happy Days, but he was a good luck charm for Married With Children. So it's a coin flip!

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Its funny that back then women could use sex to get ahead, while men just used women to get sex. The double standard stood strong then and still to this day. Isn't 'slut' the most used term teen aged girls throw at each other to make the most cutting insult? It seemed that this resentment Harry has of Joan and her 'petty dictatorship' has been brewing for years.If a man had been in Joan's position and summarily fired a secretary, nobody would have questioned it--at least not to their face and in a board meeting! She used to be laughed at for her big breasts and dismissed as a pretty sex toy by some, and now Joan is being resented for getting ahead in a big way.
    I agree with what you wrote. I do think though, that Joan has run a petty dictatorship, not out of cruelty, but because that is the only way she can exert her power, unfortunately. I even understand Harry's point that he`s brought in lots of money (and he has, actually-developing the television ad dept from zip to a thriving form of income.) He`s a total misogynist, totally. They all are. But, he has worked hard. So, I get his point. I don`t agree with the way he handled it, but yeah, I think Joan realized by the end of the episode she did`nt have to run a petty dictatorship, that in the future she is going to exert her power in the right place in the right way. No longer kow-towing to the men. She deserves the job she has now, regardless of how she obtained it. She certainly isn`t proud of the choice she had to make in order to get her promotion, you can tell it repulsed her. But she absolutely earned that promotion due to her hard work and smarts over the last 15 years. I also think she realizes Roger is a loser (thank God) and it`s been wonderful to watch her put him in his place when he behaves like a jerk toward her. I think she`s figuring out she deserves better , to be respected, admired and treated with dignity. Roger never did that, ever. Sure his pithy comments are a hoot, but that`s all he has to offer the world.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

FORT Fogey

I've been searching for the article I read once about the "real life Harry Cranes" but I can't find it. I with I could, because it really explained his disrepect well. The lack of respect that Harry gets at SDCP has nothing to do with him, how well he does his job, or the department that he built. That part of the show reflects how the advertising industry was back in the 60s. Harry didn't build a department because he's a genius. He built a department because there was this new thing called TV to put ads on, and agencies had to figure out how to use it. He was the sucker who wasn't good enough at anything else, so they gave him the throwaway job. The article I read interviewed a bunch of real life advertising people, and they all said that back then, Harry would have been disrespected no matter who the character was. It's the job - not him. That's something they put on the show for realisim - kind of like all the secretaries being women.
    cablejockey likes this.

Interesting -- thanks Acooker!

Although Harry doesn't help his own case much -- he's a jellyfish either way.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I think Harry still has resentment that Joan could do his TV job better than he did back when he first got it. He's always cheated on his wife, going back since they got married. Harry is slimy, but comic relief slimy. I always have a bit of a disconnect because Rich Sommer always seems like a nice guy IRL so I want Harry to be nice.

The one thing that puzzles me about Joan, and it just hit me last night, is why she didn't get a better office with the build out. She's doing Lane's job and whatever else administrative functions she did previously, and if Bert now has an office, she should get a better one. Though maybe not Lane's...that's probably haunted by the smell of tweed and despair.
    Critical likes this.

+ Reply to Thread