+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 127 FirstFirst ... 35393949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1262
Like Tree309Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

JMO, Like Deb70, I found Megans discussion with the doctors wife to be less than clear. There was doublespeak going on after Megan said she had a miscarriage. I too wondered what she actually meant as they got deeper into the conversation. I think its open to interpretation. I also think its a good point that everyone on this show lies or at least has something else gong on beneath who they appear to be to those in their world.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

What year are we in with the show now? Unless we're past 1970 (when abortion was legalized in NY state) OR Megan had a back alley abortion, she didn't have one. She either had a miscarriage....or she wasn't pregnant at all.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The season premiere took place Christmas 1967-New Years Day 1968.

Although Joan has been faced with this issue before, and knew of certain doctors who would discreetly take care of it who seemed reputable. I would imagine that option was available to people with money or connections.

But I agree, the way she described it to Silvia, it had to be a miscarriage.

Now, the real fun would start if Don got SILVIA pregnant...she's a good Catholic girl who would never consider such a thing, after all...
    cablejockey likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I, too, am suspicious of the cardiologist and what's up with him. Maybe he's a gambler which would explain the lack of money??
    I saw 2 women wearing circle pins and in my recollection they were pretty much "Out of Fashion" in '68/69.
    I have watched all of these shows and although I enjoy it, am often left perplexed by much of it, sometimes I wish it wasn't as dark and negative as it is.
    I don't remember that time that way. I don't see anyone who's happy with their life. I guess it's what the writer wants to show but I'd like a little joy now and then. The only positive item in this and the last episode was when Peggy is talking on the phone with Stan. Too bad they don't see how much they like each other.
    redsox girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I, too, am suspicious of the cardiologist and what's up with him. Maybe he's a gambler which would explain the lack of money??
    I saw 2 women wearing circle pins and in my recollection they were pretty much "Out of Fashion" in '68/69.
    I have watched all of these shows and although I enjoy it, am often left perplexed by much of it, sometimes I wish it wasn't as dark and negative as it is.
    I don't remember that time that way. I don't see anyone who's happy with their life. I guess it's what the writer wants to show but I'd like a little joy now and then. The only positive item in this and the last episode was when Peggy is talking on the phone with Stan. Too bad they don't see how much they like each other.

My Dad said the exact same thing, DragonLady. He does`nt remember the 1960s being the way they are portrayed on Madmen. Then again, as he noted ``I was a blue collar worker with dark skin. I don`t think my world would have collided with the world of Don Draper.`` He also told me that Madison Avenue had very successful black advertising people. Obviously, not as much as today, but they weren't nonexistent during the time period of Madmen. So, The Madmen we see is not historically accurate in that sense.
    Dragonlady likes this.

You know who need more face time? Whats his face lol Yeah, I know, that tells you nothing. Okay, he`s the young ad guy who came aboard last year-Don was jealous of him, so jealous he did`nt present the guys work at a meeting because he was afraid the client would like the guys work (and rightfully so) better than his own. This guy has the greatest lines and is totally and utterly in disdain of Don. This year he`s sporting an awful little mustache. However, he`s not gone all hippy dippy like the rest of the younger ad staff. Also like the older woman working with him in advert. She`s so droll and like the guy whose name I can`t remember she could give a flip what Don thinks. I enjoy that the two of them have a sort of open contempt for Don. I mean, neither grovel for approval. Very unusual behavior for this show.
    cablejockey likes this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I enjoyed the heck out of tonight's episode, even if I didn't love the characters' actions. I really liked seeing more of Dawn, her reveal that it is common knowledge that everyone at SDCP is messed up, crying in the bathroom, in the elevators, and drinking too much. Harry was an ass at the partners' meeting, but he actually does do stuff (though I can't say he's not fooling around with Scarlet). However, he should have STFU after being given a check for $23K. That much money would satisfy me for a good while in the now; according to the inflation calculator, that's somewhere close to $154K in today's money so we're talking years of just letting me do my job and cutting in on profits here & there without the "partner" title or responsibility.

I was super happy that they FINALLY tied up the loose end that was the casting of Ray Wise as Ken's FIL 2 seasons ago. And I got a good laugh out of Ted McGinley as the writer of Megan's soap.

Don was a total ass to Megan, but I can't muster anything to care about that. I'm bored with his affair with the doctor's wife. It seems a retred of Rachel, but with less depth. Or even Bobbie. Maybe that's the point.

And what the hell is up with the new Accounts guy?! He's lurking about Creative with no purpose. Maybe comic relief like the vapid secretary at the partners' meeting? The tone of this show is all over the map.
    cablejockey likes this.

Megan is going to be so angry when she finds out--and she will--that Don has been cheating on her. Right now she's upset because she thinks he is jealous or cant cope with her success.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

I hope Megan finds out about Don's affair ASAP and leaves him, and the show. That silly secretary, Meredith is her name I think, needs to go as well. There is no way Joan would tolerate that girl, it makes no sense that she is still there.

I would like to see more of Roger's one-liners, and Sally rebelling, and how about get Peggy and Stan together, that would be fun.
    Cootie likes this.

Last night was the first time I really wanted to slap Don in the face. What a jerk. He really is hell bent on making Megan miserable. What a hyprocrite. I actually don't care for the actress who plays Megan. I wish she would go away, but first that she goes off on Don. Will Don end up sharing Pete's pad? Did you catch where Pete offers Don his pad to use if he needed it. Don stays he lives in the city. Well, Pete knows that. He's implying that Don needs a place to bring a woman. Duh, Don. Are you that dense? LOL

I was a little annoyed that the writing seemed to portray that Joan was this miserable little tart who was all whissy at work because she hadn't had any lovin' in a long time. After she goes out and gets her love cup filled, she's back all contented. I don't appreciate that portrayal of her. Anyone else think that? I suppose it could be the validation that Joan got from her friend/relative who thinks Joan is just so super special.

Joan and Rogers' baby is adorable. Glad they finally showed him. Will he grow up knowing Roger at all?

+ Reply to Thread