+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2529293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1266
Like Tree313Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Trudy knew Pete was cheating. She just didn't realize it was with her neighbor. She let him have the apartment in the city so he would keep his women far from home, so she wouldn't be humiliated. (she said this while telling him he was no longer welcomed in their home). It`s how women operate on this show, for the most part. It is an unspoken assumption that their husbands will cheat (although I`m not sure Megan subscribes to this). I don't As long as it is`t brought into the home, so to speak, as long as it is hidden, as long as the wife is not publicly humiliated, the status quo goes on. At least that`s how I read the show.
    cablejockey likes this.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

Does anyone else have a feeling the Doctor is not actually responding to emergency calls? At first I thought he was the antithesis of Don, but, now, I`m seriously considering he`s up to something.

I don`t know if I have Don fatigue, but I feel like I`m watching the same thing over and over again. Don is unhappy, blah blah blah, Don cheats, blah blah blah. Over and over. He`s incapable of change.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

FORT Fogey

I hadn't thought about that with the doctor, but now that you say it, it makes a lot of sense. I also think there's something going on with Megan beyond being a good wife. I think she may have someone on the side too. Who knows - maybe the doctor and Megan are cheating with each other. When Megan confessed to Don that she'd had a miscarriage, I partly expected Don to tell her it was impossible, because he'd taken care of things after Gene was born.

I'm not sure if the doctor is actually going to the hospital, but what gets me is that he is short on cash. That just sounds odd for a Manhatten doctor. Yes, he has a son in college, but still. Not enough money to pay monthly bills? Sounds odd. Then he jokes about being able to pay for their dinner.

I don't see Megan having an affair right now. She seems so into her career. If Don did have it snipped, then I think he would gladly keep it quiet when Megan said she had gotten pregnant. He wants no confrontations about infidelity. I think he would just let it slide. He does't want to deal with Megan anymore. Recall how he sat down outside the door of the apt. He used to avoid going home to Betty that same way.

Good Lord, how long have we been waiting for Trudy to FINALLY get a backbone!? That was excellent! Alison Brie was incredible in that scene. I actually cheered when she said "I will destroy you." Excellent.
    Marlena_M and usschmidt like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Thinking back on the Don at the brothel scene, I think what threw me was how old "young Don" looked. His step mother was pregnant with Adam and Adam was only about 10 years younger than Don; the kid actor looked way older than ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I wonder if the doctor is the one that Megan saw with her pregnancy. Once again, they toy with the idea of whether Megan had a miscarriage or an abortion. I couldn't tell for sure, but I think she had an abortion by the way she talked to the doctor's wife.
    I'm nearly certain the doctor was introduced as a cardiologist, which again raises the question as to why he's short on cash, so I doubt Megan would see him. Megan definitely miscarried; she was talking about how terrible she'd feel if she had to make the choice given her and Mrs. Doc's wife's similar upbringing, in that they were both raised Catholic.

I'm not so sure about the miscarriage. The way Megan describes it seems to infer that she had an abortion, though she can't come out and say it. That would also explain why she didn't tell Don immediately. I guess Matthew will eventually explain it. He does that a lot. Recall how he blurred the real details on what happened to Peggy's baby. For several seasons we had the distinct possiblity that Peggy's sister took her baby, but later, Matthew said, no, the baby was adopted by some other person.

Don did look older than 10 in that brothel. I guess Matthew is blurring the lines again. I hope he gets the story of Dick's past straight.
    redsox girl likes this.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

How can it be "unclear" about whether or not Megan had a miscarriage? She flat out states she's glad she didn't have to make a decision. An abortion is a decision so if she had an abortion - which, based on the actual dialogue, you can't convince me she did - that would have been a decision.

She didn't tell Don right away about being pregnant because she didn't know if she wanted to go through with it and didn't want his input... yet. Once she had the miscarriage she didn't tell Don right away because she didn't yet know for sure how she felt about it - and she was struggling with her own guilt over not being (more?) unhappy about the outcome.
    cablejockey likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

What I perceived of Megan's story may or may not be true. I've talked with and read where others share my suspicion, so I think there was enough there to raise the question. Time will tell.

Not all characters tell the truth on this show. Don pretends to be a good husband, but he isn't. So does Pete, neither is he. Not all characters are up front with their secrets. So, I think that Megan could be hiding some secrets too. I'm not trying to convince anyone to see it my way.
    redsox girl likes this.

FORT Fogey

I do not think Megan actually had an abortion. As Marlena said,the dialogue was pretty clear that she had a miscarriage. However, I do think that the storyline hinted at something more. I think that it made Megan realize her true feelings towards motherhood ... either that when she miscarried, she was relieved, and it made her realize that if she got pregnant, she'd get an abortion OR that she had been going along thinking she didn't want kids,was fine married to a man that alreayd had them so she didn't want them, and that the miscarriage made her more upset than she expected and made her realize she wants to have a baby. I could see it going either way, because we haven't really ever delved into her story enough to know exactly how she feels -- we see her more only as Don sees her. I think there's a more complex story in what happened with her ... I just don't think it's as cut and dry as "She lied to everyone, she had an abortion"

+ Reply to Thread