+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 141 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3198561;
    I was pleased to see something finally pushed Betty over the edge, and also pleased to see that it wasn't the infidelity that did it - it was not being respected as a person.
    I'm so glad the writers finally gave January Jones some material that really allows her to show Betty's depth. I've always thought Betty was more complex than she appeared on the surface and that JJ was a really good actress: it's hard to play those "simple" characters sometimes. That moment the next morning when Betty was sitting at the table with the kids, still wearing the dress from the night before, hair disheveled, was terrific. After all the years of Betty being the perfect little wife, Don had no idea how to deal with her that way. He's just sort of humored her and patted her on the head all this time. I'm happy to see she's finally had enough. I'm interested to see if anything changes in their relationship or if they just go back to the way things were.

The tension between Peggy and the minister is really intriguing. I can't figure out if there's a sexual component to it or not. I'm enjoying Colin Hanks in the role though.

I really felt for Joan when she just got shoved aside and a man was given that job: a man who clearly had no clue how to do the job. Peggy finally got ahead in that office, but things haven't changed so much that any other woman would do the same, I guess. I think the difference is that Peggy has managed to pretty much completely de-sexualize herself while Joan, well, Joan hasn't. I doubt that she even could if she wanted to.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The priest is Colin Hanks?! Is that Tom Hanks' son?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3187109;
    Not that Wikipedia is the source for accurate info, but according to this listing, pantyhose showed up earlier than that: Pantyhose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I'd think pantyhose were probably more readily available to a woman working at a Manhattan ad firm than to a woman in the midwest (a la Peggy Sue) at the time.

Matthew Weiner is SO meticulous about that sort of thing. I'm sure he researched it before he included that scene. Check out the article in the NY Times Magazine from a month of two back.

I thought there were TWO little ones at the house - was it Peggy's mother's house? - when Peggy went there for dinner. One called her Aunt Peggy, but there was another child there too and that's the one she went in to say goodnight to. Am I imagining that?
    Note that WIkipedia doesn't say when in the 60's. Early 60's were still garter belt time, even on the east coast. But late 60's you got combos like fishnet stockings OVER pantyhose.
    Sorry for the late post.. just catching up! One thing I liked about Swingtime was that it was meticulous about those things.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3198686;
    Note that WIkipedia doesn't say when in the 60's. Early 60's were still garter belt time, even on the east coast. But late 60's you got combos like fishnet stockings OVER pantyhose.
    Sorry for the late post.. just catching up! One thing I liked about Swingtime was that it was meticulous about those things.
    1962 - which is supposed to be the time setting of Mad Men right now - did not have pantyhose available. Not even to women who worked on Madison Avenue.

Did anybody else watch tonight? I thought it was supposed to be a new episode, but it was a repeat.

It was a repeat because of the Emmy awards.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3202450;
    Which it got many of!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3202450;
    Thanks.
    Very glad to see it won for best drama. I wanted John Hamm to win, as well, but it appears that Bryan Cranston must have done a very good job. Has anyone seen the show he's on? I never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3198569;
    I'm so glad the writers finally gave January Jones some material that really allows her to show Betty's depth. I've always thought Betty was more complex than she appeared on the surface and that JJ was a really good actress
    I really felt for Joan when she just got shoved aside and a man was given that job: a man who clearly had no clue how to do the job. Peggy finally got ahead in that office, but things haven't changed so much that any other woman would do the same, I guess. I think the difference is that Peggy has managed to pretty much completely de-sexualize herself while Joan, well, Joan hasn't. I doubt that she even could if she wanted to.
    The moment I thought JJ was really good was the expression she made shooting pigeons with that cigarette in her mouth. It was like something straight out of a noir movie. Suddenly I got chills. After that I saw her as more than a TV actress, but as someone who could powerfully convey so much with just a tiny facial expression. I did not like her Emmy look, however.

As for Joan, I felt sorry for her, but they would never give that job to a woman who was engaged and expected to quit her job for home and family soon. That really hasn't changed as much as we would all like to think.
    The actress got kind of dissed about her Emmy dress, but I loved the hair jewelry and shoes, and the dress color looked good on her.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3202635;
    I wanted John Hamm to win, as well, but it appears that Bryan Cranston must have done a very good job. Has anyone seen the show he's on? I never heard of it.
    Breaking Bad is a very powerful show, and Bryan Cranston delivers the role of a lifetime in it. He deserved that Emmy. Fortunately Mad Men got so many nominations it should be around for a while and so John Hamm will have another chance.

Someone mentioned Swingtown - I wish that were going to be around for a while - I am so mad they canceled - makes me more grateful that Mad Men is continuing!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3203227;
    The moment I thought JJ was really good was the expression she made shooting pigeons with that cigarette in her mouth. It was like something straight out of a noir movie. Suddenly I got chills. After that I saw her as more than a TV actress, but as someone who could powerfully convey so much with just a tiny facial expression. I did not like her Emmy look, however.

As for Joan, I felt sorry for her, but they would never give that job to a woman who was engaged and expected to quit her job for home and family soon. That really hasn't changed as much as we would all like to think.
    The actress got kind of dissed about her Emmy dress, but I loved the hair jewelry and shoes, and the dress color looked good on her.

Breaking Bad is a very powerful show, and Bryan Cranston delivers the role of a lifetime in it. He deserved that Emmy. Fortunately Mad Men got so many nominations it should be around for a while and so John Hamm will have another chance.

Someone mentioned Swingtown - I wish that were going to be around for a while - I am so mad they canceled - makes me more grateful that Mad Men is continuing!
    I will have to watch for Breaking Bad. Had never even heard of it before the Emmys, so I guess AMC is not really publicizing it. Surprising....

Don't give up hope on Swingtown yet. Was not formally announced that it's being cancelled and execs at CBS still do not know its fate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

+ Reply to Thread