+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 2007 Emmy Nominations/Awards

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: 2007 Emmy Nominations/Awards

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2576264;
    It's proof that this country still seems to be bound by subtle instances of religious doctrine. If you DARE mix that first word with the second, boom--its "obscene" by the F.C.C. because you are insulting an entity which Church and State are supposed to keep separate.
    best explaination i've ever seen. bravo!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2576395;
    Remember, this was on FOX. A channel otherwise known for being exploitative and crude.
    How often are they known for broadcasting expletives forbidden by the FCC? Unless you've got Simon Cowell or Jack Bauer uttering the same words that were censored on a regular basis (or on a single basis) I'm not sure I see the connection being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2576594;
    Geez, whatever happened to the 5-10 second delay? These censors/cutaways were extremely awkward and just left you wondering wtf?
    The way the ratings are on the slide, soon they'll probably either stop televising it or just webcasting it. The viewers are going away each year.
    The cutaways were absolutely akward and annoying. But keep in mind that all the networks were forced to become more sensitive to the need to censor after a visual offense rather than a verbal one (Janet Jackson's boob). That, and the debate over whether or not NBC should be fined for Bono's verbal offense at a Golden Globes show spurred all the networks to get more cautious in their censoring of awards shows. As a result, one of the things that producers handle in pre-show prep, along with who is seated where and who is presented, is what to use for a censor move. They don't know when they're planning it if anything necessitating censoring will be verbal or visual. My guess is that the producers of this show chose the distracting monstrosity that they did so that if someone's boob popped out or if someone chose a more visual form of protest involving a finger or two, hitting the "emergency" button" would take care of it. It would not be practical in a control room handling a live event to have two dump buttons - one visual and one verbal.
    Last edited by Veruka; 09-18-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2575678;
    My western Canadian feed didn't censor Sally Field. I was watching the news this morning and they were talking about her speech, but I heard everything she said last night. Odd.
    I don't know what tv is generally like out west, but in Ontario I frequently hear swearing and see nudity on prime time. And yet, the country remains relatively clean and well-behaved. Could it be that swearing and nudity are less harmful than censorship and repression? Hmmmmm, something to ponder.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

I would guess that Canada has different standards than the US FCC. It does not make one right or wrong. I, personally, wish they would tighten the standards back up. Some of the language that gets through these days is just not appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2576809;
    ...The cutaways were absolutely akward and annoying. But keep in mind that all the networks were forced to become more sensitive to the need to censor after a visual offense rather than a verbal one (Janet Jackson's boob)....
    what i found amusing is when they "silenced" katherine heigle. they announced her name as the winner and as the reality was sinking in before she stood up, it was very obvious she utterd the "s" word. but when they're in their seats like that, you can't hear them anyway. so silencing her at that moment served no purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2576816;
    I don't know what tv is generally like out west, but in Ontario I frequently hear swearing and see nudity on prime time. And yet, the country remains relatively clean and well-behaved. Could it be that swearing and nudity are less harmful than censorship and repression? Hmmmmm, something to ponder.
    Well, I do have to password-protect Showcase. I don't want my kids to come across an episode of Trailer Park Boys at 6 pm on the eastern feed. I have a vague memory of some other U.S.-censored moment getting through on the Canadian broadcast - maybe it was Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction? I can't remember now.

I don't like the swearing - good Lord, the mouths on the kids in the playground - they don't need to hear any more cussing. The nudity I'm not too uptight about (nudity, not sex scenes). All in all, though, I think I prefer to have my kids stick to Drake & Josh and Fairly Odd Parents. They're not really interested in most network prime-time shows anyway (except Survivor).

I didn't hear Katherine Heigl drop the "s" bomb, though. I guess that's where the Canadian broadcasters draw the line.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2577585;
    I didn't hear Katherine Heigl drop the "s" bomb, though. I guess that's where the Canadian broadcasters draw the line.
    as i said above, no one would have heard it ... she was still in her seat without a microphone. that's why i think it was stupid that fox chose to silence that moment.

to me, that was just a very good example that they're a bit too button-happy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2577933;
    as i said above, no one would have heard it ... she was still in her seat without a microphone. that's why i think it was stupid that fox chose to silence that moment.

to me, that was just a very good example that they're a bit too button-happy.
    Is it Fox in particular who is button happy? Or have the rules the FCC has come up with now that even they can't define forcing everyone to be button happy?

Most shows have a delay for these sort of things, that would've been taken a bit better then it was.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567