+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Army Wives~ Lifetime

Army Wives~ Lifetime

Lifetimetv.com: Army Wives

Army Wives tells the story of four women and one man who are brought together by their common bond they all have enlisted spouses. The series is based on the book Under the Sabers: The Unwritten Code of Army Wives by Tanya Biank.

Army Wives is produced by ABC Television Studio and The Mark Gordon Company.

Pamela Moran used to be a member of the Boston police department. She is now a homemaker allowing her husband to be the breadwinner of the family. She is, as we learn, earning some money as a surrogate mother.

Denise Sherwood tries to maintain the image of perfect military wife and mother, even if it means hiding the occasional bruise.

Claudia Joy Holden is the one the others look to for leadership and guidance. She is fully supportive of her husband's career and hoping a secret from her past doesn't come to light.

Roxy LeBlanc is newlywed to PFC Trevor LeBlanc after only knowing him four days. She is new to military life and uncertain if she will be able to fit in.

Roland Burton is a psychiatrist who is the "army wive" of Joan Burton. Joan has been serving in Afghanistan for two years and now they need to reconnect as a family.
    Is anyone else watching this?? I'm really liking it so far, especially with the lack of new material on tv at the moment.

LG.

Re: Army Wives~ Lifetime

I'm watching too, Duxxy. :wave I haven't caught this week's episode yet, but do like the characters. I got my mom interested in it too. Of course she wasn't thrilled that the nosy wife of one of the top guys (Lenore / Elenor)? shares her name.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I love this show! I was wondering how come we didn't have a thread for this one. Its actually really good. For the most part its right on with the way military wives are. My one problem with it? No way in heck would senior officers wives be friends with a junior enlisted wife. Doesn't happen. Especially on a base the size of this one.

Love Kim Delaney and Catherine Bell, they were the reason I watched the first one when normally I stay far far far away from military style shows since they rarely get it right.

The two nosey wives that were spreading rumors? So true! The wife becoming a surrogate because of financial problems, a kernel of truth in that a vast majority of military members are horrible at financial management.

You'd expect Claudia to be more like the Brigadeer(sp) General's wife all snooty and stuck up. Do you all really address each other by your last names? Mrs. Whatever?
    I thought the big problem was not so much with financial management but with how little military is paid.

I have a question about the PX. When the wives are getting things ready for deployment do they have to purchase 'army issue' or do they just have to go pick up the correct sizes and the uniforms are all provided by the military?

I knew that it was the son hitting his mother!

Roland seems like a really great guy.

Some of these characters are almost too good to be true - no so of the surrogate mom's husband! He's a big of an ass. According to Lifetime his chopper has crashed. I haven't seen episode 3 yet and epi4 is supposed to be on tonight.

I really like this show too, I like Catherine Bell and I actually like Kim Delaney in this role - I haven't liked her in so many! I recognize 'Pamela Moran' (surrogate mom) from other shows she's done. I like Roxie's moxie! It's nice to see 'Chris' from "Charmed" again.

We can dish tomorrow

LOL I'm 3 epi's behind. Going to watch them all today. Hubby can't stand the show so I watch it when he's not around (he's on a ship so lol....).

Ok answers:

Yes, you do refer to officers wives as Mrs Whatever. My husband is an FC1 (Hmmm I forget what rank that man was that told the kid off? I think its the same rank but in Army land) and he is considering becoming an officer (money baby! LOL). The military doesn't get paid a lot but its enough. The problem really is financial management and having too large of families on one income.

The military "provides" (I say that because it comes out of your check) your initial set of uniforms and then they give you a clothing allowance each year so you can purchase more. Its not enough so mostly it comes out of pocket. All items are purchased by the service member at the clothing issue store. BTW, I don't do anything to get my husband ready for deployment other than make sure he has pictures of his son on his laptop. He's a big boy and can do it himself (plus we live 55 miles one way from the base, its easer for him to do it when he goes to work).

I didn't see the son being the abuser coming! However the way the other man stepped up to discipline him? That is so true!! My husband has done that sort of thing. When the spouse is away? You just step up and help each other out. Granted its usually different for us because we live so far away but I would drive all the way into the base to help somebody if I had to. That's just the way it works.

FORT Newbie

Love the show, absolutely love it!

I'm praying it doesn't turn in to a jumping in and out of bed soap opera like so many other good shows quickly do. It has the potential to really have staying power if it continues to explore story lines like the main one in Episode 3.

Did I mention I love this show?

LG.

low pay wasn't the real issue for the wife who was the surrogate, as her hubby ran out and bought a new truck, a flat-screen tv and an X-box immediately after they got the surrogate money, even though she had done the surrogacy to pay back money they had borrowed from her parents (and he knew that). I'm glad she returned the tv and game system. i'll agree that our military does not get paid enough for what they do, but no amount of income will "fix" someone who has a compulsive spending problem.

I like how we're learning about the Army wives society from the perspective of Roxie, a newcomer to the whole deal. She's getting to see the "warts and all" tour of waiting in line at the doctors with a sick child (while the officer's daughter gets marched right in for a sports physical) and trying to fit in a group that can be cliquey. Oh, and Roland is my favorite "wife". I love that he participates in the "wives" group activities.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I can't say that I've ever encountered that waiting in line and having an officer's daughter marched in front. I have a total of 18 years being a military spouse and not once have I run into that. I've heard that overseas and on very small bases that it happens in the commissary and exchanges but I never ran into it. Also an officer's wife would more than likely be taking their child to a private civilian doctor instead of using the emergency room system like Roxie had to because her child was sick.

Only time I had to wait in line was the one time I had to take my son to the emergency room on base and even then it wasn't bad because he got taken back right away. The long line was to see the "adult" docs and not the peds and our base hospital tries really hard to get the children back into rooms immediately. Can't say enough how much I appreciate the hard work the Navy hospitals, Docs, and staff do.

I love this show and Roxie is my favorite character. Roland is awesome too.

OK so I just watched episode 2 (made hubby watch! HA!) and he said it wasn't "bad" with the way they showed the military. Couple of things got to him but he said that they are understandable because they need to embellish a little to make it more interesting. He did think that the twist where it is the woman going thru the PTSD is interesting and that he knows people who like Chase go shopping as soon as they get back to deal with the stress. Over all, he gave it one thumb up lol.

Oh and he said that officer wives do NOT have head of line privileges anywhere in the states and most especially in hospitals. Only people who have that are those in uniform. *shrugs*

This episode made me get teary eyed, the babies! I was sure Roland was going to end up adopting them. Roxie kneeing the son? Priceless. Love love love Roxie's hubby (Jason?), he's so awesome.

Poor Roland! I just wanted to give him a big ol hug! *toddles off to watch the next two so I'm caught up*

I've been watching too. I was caught off guard about the son being the abuser too. I've seen Army spouse interactions first hand and agree that the ranks don't usually mix. There are exceptions though. I guess for the purpose of this show it was the whole giving birth on a pool table event that brought the women together as friends

I hated going to "coffees" because they usually turned into invites to all the various business ventures the wives had going on - Longenberger, Mary Kay, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, the lingerie ones, etc. I understand the need to make extra money but we were on a tight budget and buying expensive gadgets that I'd never use were not part of it.

I also noticed a big divide in the working moms from the stay at home moms. I was a stay at home mom and always felt belittled by many of the working moms. But that is part of our past now. I don't have to be around the phonies anymore but I miss the ones who my son played with their kids and we did potlucks and helped each other with babysitting and other stuff. It was nice.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the show progresses.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast