+ Reply to Thread

Thread: That Was Then - new show on ABC

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

That Was Then - new show on ABC

About the show.
    From ABC.com

Travis Glass is about to turn 30 and his life couldn't be worse. He's a door-to-door door salesman. He lives at home with his mom, Mickey, a widowed homemaker with a caustic wit. Meanwhile Claudia, the girl of his dreams, is married to Gregg, his obnoxious older brother.

Travis' descent into loserdom dates back to a fateful and humiliating week in high school. Now, on the eve of his birthday, Travis tells his best friend, Pinkus, that he wishes he had a second chance. Even though the quirky Ms. Frisch, his former English teacher, advises him to just enjoy the life he has, Travis wants to go back in time to win over Claudia

That night, while lying on his bed listening to the '80s song "Do It Again" by The Kinks, a bolt of lightning hits the house. An electrical jolt sends Travis back in to 1988 when he was 16 and hope was still alive, as was his dad, Gary "Double G" Glass.

But things don't go entirely as planned. With his first foray into the past, Travis manages to win then lose Claudia's affections, save a life, jeopardize his parents' marriage and inspire his class with his newfound wisdom. And Claudia and Gregg break up. Just when it seems that Travis will get his dream girl, he again hears The Kinks' tune and is immediately transported back to the present day.

Only this time he awakens to his smothering wife (not Claudia), their twin girls and his career as town mayor! Pinkus is no longer his buddy. Gregg and Claudia aren't married, but Travis' beloved nephew, Ethan, does not exist.

For Travis this new scenario is even worse than the life he started with. Now all he wants to do is go back in time once again and try to make everything right. But how can he put things right when every move he makes results in a new and totally unexpected future?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I actually watched this and thought it was okay.

Certainly nothing to alter your schedule for, but I don't watch anything on Fridays anyway.

Sort of cute in a "Back to the Future" sort of way. I'll probably watch again if I am bored.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

you know, i liked it...
    and i like that it is quite different from the other back in time show, "do over." this one is more of a drama and less of a comedy.

i figure i'll watch it seeing as there's nothing else to watch on friday nights.

I haven't seen Do Over, but this was definitely worth the watch

just another promo for "do over"... airing tonight for episode three on the wb at 7:30 central time... according to tvguide.com:
    We say: This looks like an inferior version of a WB teen show. Guess what? It is. At least WB's weirdly identical Do Over plays the situation for overt laughs, unlike this mopey and turgid and ultimately downbeat mess. We'd try to explain this show's fantasy mechanism, but we're distracted by another question: How did parents as vivid as Armstrong and Tambor produce a son as dull as Bulliard?
    BUT... you know, i actually was entertained by "that was then", but nowhere to the extent of "do over." though they are based on the same premise, "do over" is clearly going for the title of sitcom, while "that was then" is seemingly trying to find a way to define itself.

Well, I guess it's gone now!
    Too bad, I think it had potential.

From the AP
    ABC Cancels First Two Shows of Fall TV Season

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Suffering the first prime-time casualties of the fledgling fall television season, struggling ABC has canceled two new shows: time travel drama "That Was Then" and quirky interactive mystery "Push, Nevada."

The Walt Disney Co.-owned broadcaster, fighting to shake off the worst ratings slump of any network in recent years, announced the cancellations Thursday, saying both shows failed to draw big enough audiences to keep them on the air.

"Push, Nevada," a heavily promoted series from actor Ben Affleck's production company, has taken a beating in the ratings against stiff competition Thursday nights from TV's top-rated drama, "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," on CBS.

The show, about an Internal Revenue Service agent searching for lost treasure, may ultimately have been a victim of its own surrealistic, "Twin Peaks"-like style, which left many viewers scratching their heads during its first four episodes.

But because of a play-at-home element offering viewers the chance to win more than $1 million by following clues to the mystery, ABC is airing three more episodes, weaving in enough additional tips to allow someone to claim the prize money.

"That Was Then," about a man who travels back in time to his high school days, is being dumped immediately after just two broadcasts, to be replaced this Friday and for the next two weeks by extra editions of "America's Funniest Home Videos."

The cancellations, though not so unusual just 2 1/2 weeks into the season, pose fresh challenges to ABC is it struggles to find its footing, forcing the network to juggle shows while trying to familiarize viewers with its prime-time lineup.

JUGGLING LINEUP

Starting Nov. 8, ABC's popular sitcom "The Drew Carey Show" and his improvisational comedy series "Whose Line Is It Anyway" will move to the Friday night 9 o'clock hour from their current slots on the Monday night lineup.

After "Push, Nevada" leaves the airwaves, ABC will rerun a two-hour pilot of "Monk," the detective drama it shares with cable TV's USA Network, on Thursday Oct. 31. Then, a string of specials will run at 9 p.m. on Thursdays through November, while repeats of "Monk" move to the old "Drew Carey"/"Whose Line" berth on Mondays, starting Nov. 18.

ABC left open the possibility of bringing back six remaining episodes of "That Was Then" sometime in the future.

ABC's prime-time schedule has lagged far behind rivals NBC and CBS in the ratings since the collapse last year of one-time monster hit game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire," leading to lower advertising revenues and losses at the network.

Network parent Walt Disney Co. and its chief Michael Eisner are under intense pressure to turn around ABC's fortunes in order to boost the company's overall net profits.

ABC has managed some successes in its campaign to rebuild, establishing a newly competitive presence on Tuesday and Wednesday nights behind a batch of new and returning family comedies and the romantic reality series "The Bachelor."

Among the bright spots on ABC's schedule so far are the freshman sitcoms "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter" and "Life with Bonnie," and the returning shows "My Wife and Kids," "George Lopez" and "According to Jim."

ABC also is making gains in "Monday Night Football" after two seasons of severe ratings erosion. And veteran cop drama "NYPD Blue" ranks as Tuesday's No. 1 drama in young adults against CBS series "JAG," "Judging Amy" and "The Guardian."

Separately, ABC said Thursday it had struck a deal with "Bachelor" executive producer Mike Fleiss to develop two more reality series for the network.

ABC aren't exactly renouned for giving their shows much of a chance to build a following.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Yeah no kidding! What gives??? There were only 2 episodes of this show. I saw them both and thought it was at least better than a lot of junk on TV.

FORT Fogey
    I really liked this show and was excited to see the next episode. I wish another network would pick up this show, because it was really good...

+ Reply to Thread