+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Friends... still funny or just pathetic?

Originally posted by SnowflakeGirl
    STALE!!! I'm willing to admit that "Friends" is way past its prime, and I'm a former fan.

I've taken to watching the BBC series "Coupling" (imagine a sexier, whip-smart "Friends" from across the pond) instead. I love this show and totally prescribe it as an antidote to Friends-induced boredom! If you don't get BBC or BBC America, the first season is on DVD. I can't recommend it enough.
    Did you (or anyone) watch the show "Cold Feet"? British type of Friends show for the BBC, re-aired on Bravo for a time. I enjoyed that.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Originally posted by cali
    There was a short period where everything and I do mean everything was sex related on the show. I know there's always been some sex stuff on the show, but it seems that there were a few episodes that dealt entirely with sex. Those were the ones that I thought weren't at all funny.
    Yep, Cali, I remember that year, it started to bore me. I.e. not for the topic itself or sex in general, but because it was too easy, too "pay attention to me! pay attention to my show!" for me. What's interesting is I remember reading about new writers coming on during that time period, and (no offense to any of our lovely males out there) that they had some new male writers writing lines for the ladies (Entertainment Weekly I think circa 1996/1997?), which made them a bit unbelievable as characters. (I remember Courtney Cox on Conan Obrien during the same period talking about annoying writers of the male persuasion). Not all the time, and yes there are plenty of fantastic writers of the male persuasion who can write for/about women. It's really these particular male writers whom I'm referring rather than male writers or males in general. So anyhow, not that men can't write women, but many of them "tend to write them through the eyes of desire." - J.K. Rowling (i.e. loosely translated to men writing for women what the men desire them to say or do rather than what a woman would really say or do). It seemed a bit of a cop out, and didn't ring "true". Truth is funny, that's what made the show more likeable in the beginning (remember Chandler's hilarious vestibule scene with that model, or the girls and guys talking about foreplay as "the comedian"?) As seasons passed and new writers came on board, they sometimes tended to go for the easiest, most shocking laugh, the most obvious path for a joke to go to please the most people/shock the most people rather than take the time to come up with something a bit more original.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

I'm really bored with Friends. I used to watch it religiously and watch every syndicated episode I could catch. This year, I didn't even tape it and watched Survivor, obviously, instead.

I don't even know what's going on. I used to really love Rachel, but she seems to be the centrepiece of the show now, and that bores me. Ross brought out a sweetness in her. Pairing her with Joey is a HUGE mistake. She sucks the life RIGHT out of him.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    I am forced to watch the WB replays of Friends, and though i really liked the early years, the jokes were witty and spontaneous... it seems now like they devote whole scenes for one joke- and usually that joke bombs- so you wasted a five minute scene for a dud?? retire it already please!

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Paulie
    I haven't watched Friends since Survivor moved to Thursday nights back in the Australia time frame. I haven't missed it.
    ditto, although I occasionally watch it if it's new and Survivor is between seasons.

They should have been cancelled at the end of the 2000 season in my opinion...

Of course Friends isn't the light hearted comedy it was before but I'm still a fanatic of the show

I think their best seasons where the first 4 or 5 ones but still I love the show.

I know that the jokes are not as good as they used to be and that there's a lot more drama but still I just love it.

The only think I don't like is to see the actors go make a movie and when you watch the movie you don't see the difference between the character they play in the movie and the character they play on Friends (excpet for Jennifer Aniston)

Like everyone else I think it's the best for them to end it after the 10th season because otherwise it would get boring.

I just hope they'll do something good with the Joey spinoff (I think that idea sucks btw)

I'll go back to my season 4 dvd now ...

Friends is still funny, but that's not what I'm going to remember most. I think the best thing about the show is that each character is great and the friendships they have are awesome. That bond they all share is fascinating to me. I've never had friends that great. I didn't know there were people out there who had such strong friendships in their adulthoods. Seems like most people are too bogged down with family/jobs/kids to have really close friends.
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

I still watch Friends sometimes. (No conflict with Survivor in Canada) I think it's time they quit though. I still think it's ridiculous that most of the cast wanted MORE money when they were already getting about 1 mil and episode!!!!!
    The first couple of seasons were by far the best. Especially the one when Rachael and Ross did laundry together.
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345