+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rescue Me

Re: Rescue Me

I watched it. I was very confused by most of it. It didn't seem to have any kind of an ending. It was just like another show of the series. Did Tommy go back to being a firefighter or just give a speech?
    Yup, with donuts!!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Yep, I loved it! I loved how after each commercial they had little retrospective clips of each character. In keeping with their theme for dream sequences the writers really had me going at first. We see Lou giving a eulogy, Janet is in the pew, no sight of Tommy nor Franco, Mikey, Sean, and the other Sean... Lou keeps mentioning the five others. What? They all died? But I knew that Tommy hadn't b/c a newspaper review spilled the beans earlier in the week in an article. Then, when I realized that it was Lou who died, I sobbed and sobbed. My husband cracks up... it's only a tv show, the guy didn't die in real life. LOL!

Bug, when Tommy read Lou's note at the releasing of the ashes ceremony, Lou said that the motley group of guys made a good firefighting family and they should stick together. Prior to that day, the guys had all decided to go their separate ways, looking for a spot in other fire houses and even quitting the NYFD altogether. Tommy had put in his retirement papers at that point but after reading Lou's words, even Janet agreed that he needs to stay on the job. That and the fact that he was a fish out of water taking Wyatt to the park. I gathered that his giving a speech to the probies is something that happens with each new firefighting class. Whether or not he did that before or will do it afterward, I don't know. I am pretty sure all the guys were going to stick together.

Anyway, I could see the ashes blowing out the window before it even happened. Still funny, though. And the Duncan Hines cake mix substitution, hilarious. Loved the birth of Tommy/Janet's new son and love that they named him "Shea" after Lou's last name. Speaking about Lou, I could never figure out why the guys called him Lou when his name was Kenny. My husband said, well, he's their lieutenant, right? Oh duh! Never thought of that.

Thanks for the info on Lou, I wondered about the name thing.

I think some may have liked it better than I did. I've read a lot other comments about it at other places. IMO it kept in synch with the rest of this season and that's not saying much. I was very underwhelmed. I think that the show went downhill the last couple of seasons and last night was more of the same.

It looked to me in the end thatTommy had taken a more of an oversight role (speeches, leadership, etc.) and had let the actual work (training, supervision) go to the younger guys.

IMO the show's heart and soul left a few seasons ago. It used to be spirited and shocking and a challenge to keep up with. I would go to bed at night and not be able to stop thinking about some of the scenes. Then it got slow and boring. There was no imagination. I had hoped they would get the passion back in the end, but it didn't happen. I am disappointed that Denis didn't care enough to add any passion to the finale. And I love Denis.

I honestly think that any fan of the show could have written a much better finale during their lunch hour.

I will try to remember the show for the early seasons. They were great shows. The writing was full of passion and intelligence. I will try not to think of the way it went off.

I agree about the old scenes being great to see. The old shows WERE so much better.

Still, losing a great series is sad. Sad to lose Rescue Me, but it was past its time.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Debb, you've mentioned several times in posts that Denis just didn't have his heart in the series any longer and that he lost his passion for the series he created. Why do you think he stayed so long, then? Don't most series start syndication after 5 years? He could have ended the series then and kept getting residuals. Two more years isn't going to mean that much more in terms of money as I am sure he was paid well. I know that Denis cares deeply about firefighters, having lost his firefighter cousin from Boston, his hometown. And then of course after September 11th he wanted to create this series about NYC's Bravest. Regardless of whether the series writing went downhill or not, I will still miss it greatly.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Debb, you've mentioned several times in posts that Denis just didn't have his heart in the series any longer and that he lost his passion for the series he created. Why do you think he stayed so long, then? Don't most series start syndication after 5 years? He could have ended the series then and kept getting residuals. Two more years isn't going to mean that much more in terms of money as I am sure he was paid well. I know that Denis cares deeply about firefighters, having lost his firefighter cousin from Boston, his hometown. And then of course after September 11th he wanted to create this series about NYC's Bravest. Regardless of whether the series writing went downhill or not, I will still miss it greatly.
    Great question! I wish I knew. If I had to give an answer, it would have to be that he kept it hanging on because the fans loved the characters so much. Plus, shutting the production down, put a lot of people out of work. The actors, the production crew, etc. had to leave a steady job. I'm just guessing.

I realize some may have continued to love the show as much, but that wasn't my experience.

I do know this. I have watched Denis on talk shows for years. At some point, I can't recall just when, Denis stopped even mentioning Rescue Me in an interview. The hosts would bring it up towards the end of his appearance and he would say something quick and then change the topic. It was clear he wasn't into even talking about the show anymore.

The most excited I saw him was when he was talking about ending the show and he was going to kill off his character, and someone, I'm not sure if it was the co-writer or who, BEGGED him to not kill Tommy off. He agreed, but said he would not give up the idea. That's why I'm surprised that he didn't kill him off. I suspect they may do a reunion movie of Rescue Me down the road. Who knows?

I say the biggest proof that Denis lost his passion for the show is the writing itself. It really suffered IMO. I have read on FX's board about other fans who share my sentiments. I'm sad it happened. I loved that show and am sad to see it gone. But, I think it was time.

I felt the same way about Nip/Tuck. I LOVED that show for years and then something happened and OMG. It was bad, much worse situation than Rescue Me.

Maybe they kept the show going to so the finale would coincide with the 10th anniversary of 9/11? Eh, I don't know. I never really got into it, but my husband is a fire fighter so this has been his 'can't miss' show. I've watched with him some, but honestly, I can't watch shows like this or movies like Ladder 49. I watched that movie and cried for DAYS. I was sobbing, quite loudly, in the theater. It just hits too close to home.
    Debb70 likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Maybe they kept the show going to so the finale would coincide with the 10th anniversary of 9/11? Eh, I don't know. I never really got into it, but my husband is a fire fighter so this has been his 'can't miss' show. I've watched with him some, but honestly, I can't watch shows like this or movies like Ladder 49. I watched that movie and cried for DAYS. I was sobbing, quite loudly, in the theater. It just hits too close to home.
    Great idea! I think you may be RIGHT ON too!

I'm really late on discussing this since I just now finished watching the last two episodes.
    I agree that Rescue Me was once fabulous and went downhill last couple seasons. Still, I loved the show and felt like I really knew the characters.
    It took me awhile but after thinking about it, I liked the ending. I was glad that Tommy once again had a ghost with him, only this time, we're given the idea that he has his good friend back and will enjoy the "visits" rather than feel survivor's guilt.
    With all the different possiblities for an ending, I think this one hit just the right mark. Not too sad but solemn in how it depicts life in it's gritty way...which is how Rescue Me always was.

I'm glad you liked it Dragonlady. Denis has always had his heart in the right place, so I will try to remember that.

Can you explain something in the next to the last episode. Just before the explosion, Lou and Tommy look at each other and Lou says he will be okay. What are they talking about? The supervisor had already announced on the radio that the roof was gone and they could not take it out. There was no one to go right? Where was Lou going then? I didn't understand.

+ Reply to Thread