+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rescue Me

Re: Rescue Me

‘Rescue Me’ is going out strong
    By MIKE THOMAS
    9 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays on FX

As FX’s hit series “Rescue Me” begins its seventh and final season tonight, the melding of comedy and drama is as deft as ever. Not since “MASH” has a show been so adept (albeit in an edgier and more graphic way) at eliciting belly laughs and tears, shocked amusement and unsettling horror.

Perhaps not coincidentally, its lead protagonists — the 4077’s crack(ed) chief surgeon Hawkeye Pierce (Alan Alda) and Ladder 62/Engine 99 loose-cannon firefighter Tommy Gavin (Denis Leary) — are strikingly similar. Both men are boozing, womanizing smart-asses who smugly defy authority at every turn.

When it comes to their patients, however (victims, in Gavin’s case), there’s nothing they won’t do to prevent death and suffering, including putting their own lives at considerable risk. And it’s in the heat of battle — whether the operating room or a five-alarm blaze — where each man truly shines.

Here’s one marked difference: When “MASH” ended in 1983, we never really got the sense that Pierce was OK — that he’d eventually attain lasting inner peace and get on with his life. Sure, sessions with Sidney the psychiatrist helped, but did they stick?

As “Rescue Me” comes to a close, the deeply damaged Gavin finally appears to be conquering his myriad demons, the daddy of them all being his guilt at having survived the Sept. 11 attacks that killed 343 firefighting brethren. With a combination of willpower and more than a little help from some friends —a fine ensemble that includes the inexplicably Emmy-less Callie Thorne (Sheila Keefe) and the always solid John Scurti (Lt. Kenny “Lou” Shea) — Gavin’s increasingly determined not to be casualty No. 344. He’s a Gavin, though, so nothing’s carved in stone. So far. His epitaph has yet to be written.
    Debb70 likes this.
    KAREN

What do you guys think of the first episode? I'm going to reserve my comments for now and see what others thought. LOL

I just felt confused throughout the whole thing. So much has changed since the end of the previous season!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I don't know if it's change so much as it has become really boring. I don't see anything interesting happening. His alcoholic daughter just acts really crazy and it's not amusing anymore. Where is his sister, Tatum O'Neal? The guy friends just act like they are bored out of their mine too. The only minor excitement was when Tommy shot the gun a the bar. But that was just silly.

I thought the storyline about the old girlfriend might be interesting. She had cancer in real life too! But, for some reason that seem off too. Tommy just acted so bored with the woman. Can't he show some fake interest?

I'm just not feeling it. I think I'm going to have to force myself to watch it.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Oh shoot. I missed last night's episode. The first episode was kind of boring, I agree. It was stupid of Tommy's alcoholic uncle and the other relative (I can't remember if he was an uncle or a cousin- the one who used to be Tommy's sponsor) to buy the bar and have Tommy's recovering daughter working there. When Sean proposed and she said 'yes', then she goes off on a binge. What was that all about? I don't know. The show seems to have lost a lot of its steam. I must have missed a lot more episodes last season than I thought. I don't ever remember Janet being pregnant.

If I remember correctly, we find out at the end of last season that Janet is pregnant but doesn't want to deal with Tommy unless he can promise to be there, not drink and not sleep around. Janet and the mistress being "besties" now is really freaky. Have they shown Damien in the first 2 episodes? I watched them but I may have dozed off a couple of times during the show.
    Yup, with donuts!!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Oh okay. Thanks, bug. I am pretty sure I missed the season finale last year. That would explain why I didn't know Janet was pregnant. Yeah, it is strange seeing Janet and Sheila so buddy buddy. They didn't show Damian in episode 1 but I didn't see last night's show so I don't know if he appeared or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Oh okay. Thanks, bug. I am pretty sure I missed the season finale last year. That would explain why I didn't know Janet was pregnant. Yeah, it is strange seeing Janet and Sheila so buddy buddy. They didn't show Damian in episode 1 but I didn't see last night's show so I don't know if he appeared or not.
    Is he the one in the wheelchair? They showed in the first episode in the wheelchair. In the beginning Tommy thinks he sees him come up to grab him from behind when he is looking into the fridge. At the end of last season, I we were made to think that perhaps he wasn't really paralized and was moving around when no one was looking. I'm not so sure now. They still spoon feed him.

I'm so over the show. I have watched all the seasons, so I hate to miss the last one, but honestly, it's painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Yes, Damien was in the first scene in epi 1. And it was at least the first 5-6-7 minutes of Damien in the wheelchair with Tommy and Shelia.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

I'm so over the show. I have watched all the seasons, so I hate to miss the last one, but honestly, it's painful.
    I have watched every season so like you, Debb, I plan on hanging in there. I love Denis Leary and he is from my hometown outside of Boston. He is a MA hometown hero doing so much for all our firemen. I worked with his cousin years ago in retail. His last name is really O'Leary and he dropped the O.
    I agree, this season; well it is just odd … but I will see it through until Sept. My DH loves it so that is another reason we watch it faithfully.
    KAREN

I, too, love Denis Leary and have been a huge fan of Rescue Me, never missing an episode. So naturally, I started recording this new season but it took me until today to get up the nerve to watch. Sometimes the show is so HEAVY emotionally and I was a little afraid to watch.....but I finally did.
    Didn't fine it emotionally hard to take at all...found it weird. The two women being BFF, the youngest daughter ignoring him, the girl saying yes to marriage proposal and then downing a bunch of shots...... Shocking, yes, typical for Rescue Me but not intriguing... nothing made me want to watch again.
    But I will because I need to stick it out all the way with Tommy, messed up man that he is.

+ Reply to Thread