+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gossip Girl

Gossip Girl

So the new Gossip Girl TV Series pilot is now in production. If everything goes well and the CW orders more episodes (which they'd be idiots not to - there's loads of buzz surrounding the show already and it's most likely gonna be their next big thing), they will be set to premiere in the fall. Cast so far:

Blake Lively as Serena van der Woodsen
    Leighton Meester as Blair Waldorf
    Chace Crawford as Nate
    Taylor Momsen as Jenny Humphrey
    Penn Badgley as Dan Humphrey
    Connor Paolo as Eric van der Woodsen
    Matthew Settle as Rufus Humphrey
    Kelly Rutherford as Darla van der Woodsen
    Ed Westwick as Chuck
    Florencia Lozano as Eleanor Waldorf

The Gossip Girl TV Show is based upon the novel series by Cecily von Ziegesar of the same name, which features socialite teenagers growing up on New York's Upper East Side and going to the poshest high schools, and dealing with sex, drugs, and other adult issues. Serena, Blair, Nate, Dan, Vanessa and Jenny are the main characters and rotate in love triangles.

I LOVE these books.
    And one thing that upsets me is that they seem to have no Vanessa casted for the show. How could they cut out Vanessa?!?! LOL.
    Anyways.....

Here's the first picture of the cast:

From L to R: Penn Badgley (Dan Humphrey), Leighton Meester (Blair Waldorf), Chace Crawford (Nate), Kelly Rutherford (Serena's Mom), Ed Westwick (Chuck), Taylor Momsen (Jenny), and Matthew Settle (Rufus Humphrey).

Looking pretty good to me.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

Re: Gossip Girl

Sounds almost like a 90210 relocated to New York. Apologies and respects to those who'll be watching, but this doesn't sound like a show that would interest me (but then, neither did 90210). I read part of one of those Gossip Girl books last year when someone left it behind on a seat in the airport waiting area where I was waiting on a flight that had been delayed an hour. I honestly thought the book was a parody until the teen girl sitting near me told me it wasn't after asking me why I was laughing. Long story short, I couldn't keep reading it. Not because it was written badly -- but because the characters and situations and teen angst drama was so funny in a way it wasn't meant to be. But to be fair, I could tell it wasn't written for me, it was written for teenage girls who unfortunately might actually believe this is normal teen life. I tried to give my teenage fellow traveler the book, but she politely thanked me, saying "they're (the book series) stupid". I could have hugged her. However, since they're making it into a tv series, I would guess they're aiming for the teen audience, and so I wouldn't be surprised to see it be a moderate short-term success.

Again, all due respect to those who'll be watching the show, even if it's not something I'd watch. But I will say I'd much rather see networks doing this -- looking to published books for new-show material --rather than scraping the bottom of mankind's boots for new show ideas as they have been the past few years. So looking to literary sources is at least a step in a better direction than say, another New York-type spinoff.

What caught my attention is in the cast photo above... why is Mirna from The Amazing Race in the show? (the actress second from right, playing Jenny?, looks just like Mirna)
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2320656;
    Sounds almost like a 90210 relocated to New York. Apologies and respects to those who'll be watching, but this doesn't sound like a show that would interest me (but then, neither did 90210). I read part of one of those Gossip Girl books last year when someone left it behind on a seat in the airport waiting area where I was waiting on a flight that had been delayed an hour. I honestly thought the book was a parody until the teen girl sitting near me told me it wasn't after asking me why I was laughing. Long story short, I couldn't keep reading it. Not because it was written badly -- but because the characters and situations and teen angst drama was so funny in a way it wasn't meant to be. But to be fair, I could tell it wasn't written for me, it was written for teenage girls who unfortunately might actually believe this is normal teen life. I tried to give my teenage fellow traveler the book, but she politely thanked me, saying "they're (the book series) stupid". I could have hugged her. However, since they're making it into a tv series, I would guess they're aiming for the teen audience, and so I wouldn't be surprised to see it be a moderate short-term success.

Again, all due respect to those who'll be watching the show, even if it's not something I'd watch. But I will say I'd much rather see networks doing this -- looking to published books for new-show material --rather than scraping the bottom of mankind's boots for new show ideas as they have been the past few years. So looking to literary sources is at least a step in a better direction than say, another New York-type spinoff.

What caught my attention is in the cast photo above... why is Mirna from The Amazing Race in the show? (the actress second from right, playing Jenny?, looks just like Mirna)
    LOL. I'm not retarded - I know Gossip Girl is trashy and they are basically the only trashy things I watch/read so feel like I should get a free pass. I always thought that the books were extra and meant to be funny - and they are to me. Oh well - I will be watching. I just hope that they don't make it too OC-like and soap opera-ish, but rather maintain the fun, sarcastic feeling of the books.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

Quote Originally Posted by GossipGirlANTM;2320672;
    LOL. I'm not retarded
    Um, no one said you were?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Gossip Girl received a 12-episode order from The CW.
    Here are some previews and the Official Web Site.
    I must say, it looks good...

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Apparently Kristen Bell from Veronica Mars (show now dead) is the actual Gossip Girl who you meet only in voiceovers. After VM it's hard to believe she'd do trash, so it gives me some hope for the show. As a concept I have to say it sounds pretty boring... and I'm someone who watched Dawson's Creek avidly so I"m not against teen oriented shows. These girls just sound petty and catty in the description. Really repulsive people I'd never want to know in real life. People whose lives center around high school gossip? Yikes...
    But different strokes for differerent folks...it'll probably be a huge hit when Jericho couldn't get renewed....

The show premieres Wednesday, September 19th at 8/9c in the US, and Tuesday, September 18th at 8pm EST in Canada!

Well us lucky Canadians finally get to see a show before our American friends! Watched this show tonight. It was pretty good. It doesn't quite fill the HUGE gap left by the cancellation of Veronica Mars, but I liked it. I'll keep up with it. At least for a while!

I am going to watch it tonite and see how it goes....

ANTM is LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2578108;
    Well us lucky Canadians finally get to see a show before our American friends! Watched this show tonight. It was pretty good. It doesn't quite fill the HUGE gap left by the cancellation of Veronica Mars, but I liked it. I'll keep up with it. At least for a while!
    I agree canadian_angel. I thought it was pretty good also. I will definitely give it a fair shake and stick with it for a while.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast