+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 245
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The Tudors

  1. #71
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    driving ballet carpool
    Posts
    465

    Re: The Tudors

    Yes those first two minutes were for what reason? Just to show he was so decadent and above everyone else someone would stand there with him? Ick ick ick!!
    So in the last scene did they or didn't they consumate that relationship? Seriously!

    I heard that Peter O'toole will be on next season so it should be a doozy!

  2. #72
    Peeking In Duxxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    looking for a deal on evilBay
    Posts
    6,052

    Re: The Tudors

    I didn't see the relevance of the first two minutes other than to show the King is neverf alone. (magine having that young chamberboy's job) Then at the end of the episode the first scene was bookended with the last scene of the king's 'essence' being spilled once again without purpose/direction/fertilization how ever you want to say it.
    According to this account (I admit I dont know much really about the Tudors - they've never been of interest until now) Henry was a little clueless, almost friendless (as in true and loyal friend) he allowed himself to be led astray by those he trusted but he was quick to vengence once crossed.
    I really enjoyed this series, the costumes, the hair and make up the speech. The throbbing vein in JRM's forehead

    I look forward to the next installment
    Last edited by Duxxy; 06-12-2007 at 03:05 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

  3. #73
    I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    At the High Rollers Table
    Posts
    4,619

    Re: The Tudors

    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2438103;
    I didn't see the relevance of the first two minutes other than to show the King is neverf alone. (magine having that young chamberboy's job) Then at the end of the episode the first scene was bookended with the last scene of the king's 'essence' being spilled once again without purpose/direction/fertilization how ever you want to say it.
    According to this account (I admit I dont know much really about the Tudors - they've never been of interest until now) Henry was a little clueless, almost friendless (as in true and loyal friend) he allowed himself to be led astray by those he trusted but he was quick to vengence once crossed.
    I really enjoyed this series, the costumes, the hair and make up the speech. The throbbing vein in JRM's forehead

    I look forward to the next installment
    Remember this is a reenactment.. and some artistic license has been taken.

    Good Old Randy hank was not as clueless as you all may think He united England and Wales, severed the Church of England from the Roman Catholic Church and established the king [himself] as the supreme head of the Church in England, introduced Protestantism to England, and was involved in the original construction and improvement of several significant buildings: Nonsuch Palace, King's College Chapel, Cambridge and Westminster Abbey in London. Many of the existing buildings improved were holdings confiscated from Cardinal Wolsey, such as Christ Church, Oxford, Hampton Court Palace, palace of Whitehall, and Trinity College, Cambridge.

    So he may come of as a dense pig at times.. He did have a few brain cells floating around in that swelled head of his.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

    "Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

  4. #74
    Peeking In Duxxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    looking for a deal on evilBay
    Posts
    6,052

    Re: The Tudors

    I should have been more specific .. this shows him being ignorant of the happenings around him and only clued into what ever his advisors chose to divulge to him - which I'm sure was the norm before the introduction of the technological age.
    He was out of touch with the common man.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

  5. #75
    I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    At the High Rollers Table
    Posts
    4,619

    Re: The Tudors

    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2438232;
    I should have been more specific .. this shows him being ignorant of the happenings around him and only clued into what ever his advisors chose to divulge to him - which I'm sure was the norm before the introduction of the technological age.
    He was out of touch with the common man.
    Most people in power are.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

    "Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

  6. #76
    FORT Fan CrocodileGEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    322

    Re: The Tudors

    So I finally watched episode 10 and I just can't wait till next season!

    Overall, I think the series is good, even though the writers take maybe too many "artistic liberties", for instance, I just can't understand why did they kill Margaret/Mary so soon, or Henry's son.

    I'm also a bit confused by how accurate is Henry's portayal in the show. JRM plays a Henry VIII who almost doesn't know anything about how to rule a country and leaves everything to Wolsey, except of course organizing parties and spending money. And when Anne finally has Wolsey away from power, Henry realises that he's completely incompetent when it comes to politics. I also wonder if Henry was as easily manipulated as in this show.

    For next season I'd like to see what's going to become of Thomas More, who seems conflicted between his duty towards the king and his belief in the catholic church. You also may have noticed that at the end of his last scene, when he's talking to the man who defended Catherine during the trial, they both seem to be interrupted by someone, at the end of the conversation. I wonder who that might be.
    I also wonder how is the fact that of Thomas Tallis knows that the poet used to be Anne's lover is going to be used.

    Well I guess I'll just have to wait till probably next year !
    I fail to recognise the correlation between "losing ten grand", "hospitalising Gorgeous" and "a good deal"

  7. #77
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    27

    Re: The Tudors

    I just finished the first season, and I really enjoyed it a lot. Okay, I had to like, make a lot of effort to ignore some of the....liberties that they've taken to make it, but overall it was very fun.

    I think next season is going to be really good - but I am wondering how long this series can/will go on. Will it end after Anne? Or will it go through all of Henry's wives? (Which I think would be really much more interesting...to see them get to like, Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard - a lot of people don't even know that part of the story.)

    I love Jeremy Northam as Thomas More. I think he does a wonderful job of portraying a genuinely religious/pios person, but without being insufferable or preachy about it.

    And, from the shallow end, the girl who plays Anne Boleyn is so incredibly beautiful. Wow.

  8. #78
    YOUUUUUUUUUKKK! GingerLVNV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    American Idol Factory
    Posts
    1,131

    Re: The Tudors

    Quote Originally Posted by seaside;2457729;
    I think next season is going to be really good - but I am wondering how long this series can/will go on. Will it end after Anne? Or will it go through all of Henry's wives? (Which I think would be really much more interesting...to see them get to like, Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard - a lot of people don't even know that part of the story.)

    And, from the shallow end, the girl who plays Anne Boleyn is so incredibly beautiful. Wow.

    I hope they go through all of his wives as well, I absolutely love this show. He is doing an amazing job acting, you can see the spoiled child on the inside of Henry, which is so key. I love learning more about this period, however, just from reading here and other places, I can see the liberties you all mention.

    I also agree the girl playing Anne Boleyn is gorgeous! I'd like to be her for Halloween this year, wonder if I can pull it off
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

  9. #79
    FORT Fogey livin4reality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lawrence KS
    Posts
    2,587

    Re: The Tudors

    Bump for the new season of The Tudors. On showtime March 30!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

    Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

  10. #80
    FORT Fogey brunette trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: The Tudors

    Just a little historical fact I was ignorant of until last week. Did you know Catherine (Henry's first wife) waited 7 years in England to marry Henry after her first husband Prince Arthur died? No wonder she wouldn't grant Henry an annulment after waiting 7 years to become Queen of England. Talk about delayed gratification.


    I'm really excited for new season of The Tudors. Even though it has a lot of inaccuracies, it's compelling. And Charles Brandon/King Henry are both quite attractive.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.