+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The Tudors

Re: The Tudors

Well, Jon R Myers checking into rehab yesterday. Battling alcoholism. Good luck to him.

with that said, I selfishly hope that all 10 original episodes are finished because I'd hate to miss even one
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2350169;
    Well, Jon R Myers checking into rehab yesterday. Battling alcoholism. Good luck to him.

with that said, I selfishly hope that all 10 original episodes are finished because I'd hate to miss even one
    As far as I knew they were and were looking at a second season.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Charles and Timothy caught me off guard.

JRM sure does a bang up job with Henry's tantrums! He's fantastic.

not Charles and Tim Tallis .. that was supposed to read Compton and Tim Tallis.

I was just reading IMBD .. and I don't know if they do this all the time but the site seems to be ready to add 10 more episodes, so hopefully they know more than we do and the series has been picked up for 10 more epis!

I'm watching and enjoying this series, though I admit I find the major historical inaccuracies grating. Combining his sisters Mary and Margaret into one person (and marrying her to the King of PORTUGAL), serious timeline liberties, very inaccurate dress on the women, killing off Henry FitzRoy at such a young age, ect.

I have to admit that I'm not too crazy about the choice of JRM to play Henry VIII-- though he does some things well, he just doesn't have the presence or stature, IMO. The guy they had playing Buckingham would have been MUCH better, I thought. Natalie Dormer as Anne isn't too bad, though I really wish they had her wear contacts to darken her eyes... another little gripe. They also take away a lot of her mystique I thought.

My favorite actors are the ones playing Cardinal Woolsey and Thomas More. The scenes with them in them are usually pretty good. King Francis and Katherine of Aragon are cast pretty well too I think (Katherine didn't look like her, but she is playing the part well). Though it is funny that they cast a very beautiful actress to play the famously plain and pious Queen Claude (Francis' wife).

For those interested in this time period, I highly recommend some of the books of Alison Weir. Karen Lindsey's Divorced, Beheaded, Survived: A Feminist Reinterpretation of the Wives of Henry VIII is another great read.

I've seen some episodes and yes, I think that the number of historical inaccuracies is huge. But it's still good to watch. I'm just a bit curious to see how they are going to deal with the later years of Henry's reign, and especially the end of his marriage with Anne. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocodileGEN;2418704;
    I've seen some episodes and yes, I think that the number of historical inaccuracies is huge. But it's still good to watch. I'm just a bit curious to see how they are going to deal with the later years of Henry's reign, and especially the end of his marriage with Anne. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    I agree..there are some timelines that are off...but it has been a very good and interesting story....and you know tv...dramatic purposes...lol...I find it interesting that there seems to be so much sexual promiscuity....
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

was there a show this past Sunday night?? There is nothing posted at eztv.com

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pakacat;2418346;
    I'm watching and enjoying this series, though I admit I find the major historical inaccuracies grating. Combining his sisters Mary and Margaret into one person (and marrying her to the King of PORTUGAL), serious timeline liberties, very inaccurate dress on the women, killing off Henry FitzRoy at such a young age, ect.

I have to admit that I'm not too crazy about the choice of JRM to play Henry VIII-- though he does some things well, he just doesn't have the presence or stature, IMO. The guy they had playing Buckingham would have been MUCH better, I thought. Natalie Dormer as Anne isn't too bad, though I really wish they had her wear contacts to darken her eyes... another little gripe. They also take away a lot of her mystique I thought.

My favorite actors are the ones playing Cardinal Woolsey and Thomas More. The scenes with them in them are usually pretty good. King Francis and Katherine of Aragon are cast pretty well too I think (Katherine didn't look like her, but she is playing the part well). Though it is funny that they cast a very beautiful actress to play the famously plain and pious Queen Claude (Francis' wife).

For those interested in this time period, I highly recommend some of the books of Alison Weir. Karen Lindsey's Divorced, Beheaded, Survived: A Feminist Reinterpretation of the Wives of Henry VIII is another great read.

Now see, I thought the casted her dead on. Of all the paintings I have seen of her there is a strong, strong liking.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

She does look the part except for the eyes, but I think my reservation with Dormer is how she is playing the role. Granted, part of it is due to the lack of good lines given to her-- haven't seen much of her famed wit, and allusion to her intellectual curiousity is only really shown so far I thought in the scene where Cromwell secretly delivers the protestant book to her. But there is just something off about it, her acting doesn't seem too natural or appropriate, though she certainly isn't bad at all in the part.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocodileGEN;2418704;
    I'm just a bit curious to see how they are going to deal with the later years of Henry's reign, and especially the end of his marriage with Anne. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Yeah, I'm wondering if this series will go as far as Anne's execution and Henry's marriage to Jane (or even as far as the birth of Edward).

Though I know they couldn't go that far probably, at least with JRM, because of Henry VIII's age and condition by that point, I'd love to see a season devoted to Kathryn Howard, before and after marriage. She could really have a whole series devoted to her-- with Mannox, Dereham, and Culpepper, a lot of potentially steamy material for the producers. Very interesting and tragic young girl... shame we don't know more about her. Catherine Parr is also a very fascinating woman, and intelligent, and could support a series on her own too, I'd think. Quite a bit of rebound in Henry's marriages, seemed to go from one extreme to the other.

There are a lot of women from earlier times in English royalty who would make great characters to base series around too-- The Empress Matilda, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Isabella of France, Katherine of Valois, Margaret of Anjou, Elizabeth Woodville, ect.

even though i know about how the royas marry, yesh, to mary your daughter off to her 1st cousin.. icky! lol
    Though marriages between 1st cousins were very common among royalty (and consanguinity provided a convienent excuse for annulment for many of them), I think the Spanish branch of the Habsburgs may have taken the cake. After generations of inbreeding producing all sorts of problems, Philip II (who was married to Mary I of England at one point) decided it would be a good idea to marry his NIECE, Anna of Austria. Not too surprisingly, their son, "Carlos the Bewitched" was completely messed up mentally and physically (poor guy had seven of his eight great-grandparents directly descended from "Juana la Loca," Joanna the Mad). Funny thing is, European royalty was aware that the offspring of kings with their mistresses were more intelligent and better looking than legitimate children, but just figured it was because the illegitimate ones were concieved in passion and love. One generation of cousin marriages only produces a slightly increased chance of recessive deleterious traits doubling up and showing themselves, but compound it generation after generation like European royalty, and you start seeing the problems. The books "A Treasury of Royal Scandals" and "Royal Babylon" are fun and interesting (though not deep) reads for more info on this stuff.
    Last edited by pakacat; 05-30-2007 at 05:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread