+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The Tudors

Re: The Tudors

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3879839;
    One of the conditions that Jonathan Rhys Meyers stipulated before he agreed to take the role was that he wasn't going to get fat. I have to say I agree with his decision. I'm curious to see what they do with the Princess Mary/Queen Catherine relationship. Last week showed Mary disliking Henry's "child bride"--in real life the two of them were "thick as thieves."
    Hmmm ... are you sure about this ... Mary seems to despise Catherine Howard and Catherine is soon beheaded ... ?

Love Joss Stone as Anne of Cleves ... so good seeing her this season. Love her music.

Henry getting fat ... I am so glad they are NOT doing that and that JRM chose not to go in that direction and Michael Hirst obviously agreed. I asked my DH last night ... why did the real Henry get so obese as they did not have junk food in those days ... seems like all they eat is fruits/veggies/meat ... ?
    KAREN

Henry got heavy more due to his leg injury than anything else. He did eat like a king (pun intended lol) but he was very active in his younger years but the leg injury was severely disabling as he aged. He didn't get much physical activity because he couldn't.

I LOVE Joss Stone too. She is wonderful in her role. I just adore her.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;3880342;
    Henry got heavy more due to his leg injury than anything else. He did eat like a king (pun intended lol) but he was very active in his younger years but the leg injury was severely disabling as he aged. He didn't get much physical activity because he couldn't.

I LOVE Joss Stone too. She is wonderful in her role. I just adore her.
    It was a case of a man getting older, no longer moving around and exercising like he did and continuing to eat like he was a young man. Plus I think the food replaced what he was lacking, youth... etc....

People at that time (the wealthy anyway) ate much meat, bread was white as the coarser bread (considered not as "good") was for the poor. Veggies were boiled to the point of mush....

And I still would have wanted him to be fat! He is still to attractive! At this point he was smelly due to his injury, and huge. He would have smashed his last 2 (3) wives! It just kind of takes away the dynamic with his last 3 wives, making him still a "fine" looking sexy guy! I'm not making fun of Henry VIII, I adore the Tudors.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 04-19-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;3880297;
    Hmmm ... are you sure about this ... Mary seems to despise Catherine Howard and Catherine is soon beheaded ... ?
    I always thought Mary didn't like her and Elizabeth adored her.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Even though they didn't have the variety of junk foods to eat you have to remember they did have very rich foods, fatty/greasy meats, sweet foods, and then all things fermented. Combine that with a decrease in activity level and eating large quantities of all those rich/fatty foods and weight gain is inevitable.

I did find the first episode of the season online to watch and even though he's not huge they are costuming him in away that indicates he's not svelt anymore either.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3880460;
    I always thought Mary didn't like her and Elizabeth adored her.
    I recall Mary being close to Jane Seymour.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

He definitely looks bulkier than he did in earlier seasons. He's doing a nice job with the limp and conveying the pain as well. And the would smelled horrible and Anne of Cleaves made that clear which I was happy about. He was talking about her odor but his was undoubtedly worse.

Does Joss Stone appear in more episodes this season?

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;3880602;
    He definitely looks bulkier than he did in earlier seasons. He's doing a nice job with the limp and conveying the pain as well. And the would smelled horrible and Anne of Cleaves made that clear which I was happy about. He was talking about her odor but his was undoubtedly worse.

Does Joss Stone appear in more episodes this season?
    Did anyone watch last night? Soooo, good. I am soooo going to MISS The Tudors when it is over.

And YES, Joss Stone was on again last night.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;3886307;
    Did anyone watch last night? Soooo, good. I am soooo going to MISS The Tudors when it is over.

And YES, Joss Stone was on again last night.
    I did!! Another great episode. One of the best shows on tv and I will be so sad when it's over.

I really Joss on the show. I hope we see her again this season.

I love this show too. And will be sad when it ends. It's the only reason I subscribe to Showtime. Joss Stone does a good job as Anne of Cleves and I like the actress who plays Queen Katherine too. All the Tudor history I've read says Mary hated Queen Katherine but Elizabeth liked her.

+ Reply to Thread